SCR Trip See Page 1 for details

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
EDIT: 29th July - This trip is now closed. Thanks for all the interest folks.

Right, it seems that a few more people are asking about this so here are the basics:

When: 4 nights from the 21st to the 25th August
Where: Joes Lodge, Talgarth, Wales
Who: Attendees confirmed are:
James
Mark - Blondie
Olivia
Lewis
Lindsey
Ian
Mark - Base
Attica
Jon
Stuart

For all those considering coming, you are very welcome, but please read the following first:

If you want to come please commit soon. I will be closing entries next week.
Once you have confirmed with me that you are definitely coming (PM please) then you're booked. At this stage if you cancel then you'll still need to cough up, otherwise it becomes unfair on everyone else. This applies to everyone, otherwise I run the risk of being lumbered with an empty lodge, an £800 bill and a strong urge to commit multiple homicide. :shock:

Equipment: Essentially this is a roadie trip, so far there are no MTB'ers coming. That's not to say you're not welcome, but remember most of the rides will be on road!

Rides: There are no firm plans as to rides and people are of course free to do whatever they like. I'm hoping to get in around two long rides (70 - 100 miles or so with stops for lunch/cake/etc) and 1 or 2 gentle pootles. I'd suggest that if you want to come on the long rides that you have at least ridden that distance before and aren't afraid of a few hills. No one will be left behind, but we're not gonna be averaging 10mph either...

Routes: I've already started planning a few on bikehike. Between us we will have a number of GPS devices so we should be sorted from a navigational point of view. Please feel free to plot your own routes on BikeHike and share them with us via this thread.

Gospel Pass
Beacons

Any questions then please PM me

Thanks,

IP (James)

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Could be persuaded. I also have too much holiday.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Would love to, but I can't without dedicating a holdiay to the girlfriend first. Keep me posted and I might be able to.

Its things like this that make me want to buy her a bike...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I have little holiday and a small baby at home....

Can we make a papier mache me and get someone to work the strings to fool the Guards that I've gone over the wire?

All it needs to do is eat, fart and watch TV.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Could be persuaded, seeing as I've already been persuaded today not to sell my bike.

Would probably be more interested if it was UK based, just because it seems less of a logistical headache. Presumable I could do some running too.

Are you thinking of one base, or moving on each night?

If it's all from the same base, I could pootle around alone and/or run and meet up with you all for lunch/pub stops etc.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Would love to, but I can't without dedicating a holdiay to the girlfriend first. Keep me posted and I might be able to.

Its things like this that make me want to buy her a bike...

It's not just buying them one, it's getting them up to speed that's the biggest issue.

I'll try and build a consensus on this and then talk dates/destinations etc. Aiming to keep costs down 'natch!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Yes please!

Funnily enough, I have LOADS of holiday

Sadly I am restricted to the whole of August though....... :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    As previously stated, I'd definitely be on for that.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I can easily be persuaded. However, receiving permission is another thing. :)

I'll run the idea up the flag pole at home and let you know. I'd say August/September is likely to be best, and probably the Black Mountains because I may be able to wangle babysitting by the family in Wales. Flexible, aren't I? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If I could suggest an idea:

to keep costs / logistics down you could consider a holiday cottage as a base of operations at whatever locale you choose. We go away to one every new year and find them an excellent place to stay

This would allow you a place to clean up / relax / plan from without interference from anyone else. Also, the major sites to pick a cottage have a tick box for 'nearby pub' :wink:

If it was me I would pick a place in the Northern Lakes to stay as it is quieter on the roads and still easy to get to places if you want to drive to somewhere as a launch point.

While I may have spare holiday, my utter lack of talent would keep me away from such a fun adventure, as I would hate to make an utter fool of myself :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jen J

to keep costs / logistics down you could consider a holiday cottage as a base of operations at whatever locale you choose. We go away to one every new year and find them an excellent place to stay

This would allow you a place to clean up / relax / plan from without interference from anyone else. Also, the major sites to pick a cottage have a tick box for 'nearby pub' :wink:

If it was me I would pick a place in the Northern Lakes to stay as it is quieter on the roads and still easy to get to places if you want to drive to somewhere as a launch point.

While I may have spare holiday, my utter lack of talent would keep me away from such a fun adventure, as I would hate to make an utter fool of myself :oops:

Exactly what I was thinking...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Jen J wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking...

presumably the cottage idea and NOT the utter lack of talent, Miss 'ultra-marathon x 4 in a month' :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jen J
    presumably the cottage idea and NOT the utter lack of talent, Miss 'ultra-marathon x 4 in a month' :wink:

Both actually, as having a cottage as a base would allow a range of activities - there could be, for example, a group to go mountain-biking or running ( :D ) in addition to the main group going out on the roads, or a pootlers group on the roads. That way everyone has a chance to do what they want, without always feeling they're being held back/pressured to keep up/not doing their preferred thing.

I could even get a group of you running the hills with me :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    can i come and keep cottage clean. all i will do is drink all the beer
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • il_principe
    Jen J wrote:

Both actually, as having a cottage as a base would allow a range of activities - there could be, for example, a group to go mountain-biking or running ( :D ) in addition to the main group going out on the roads, or a pootlers group on the roads. That way everyone has a chance to do what they want, without always feeling they're being held back/pressured to keep up/not doing their preferred thing.

Guys I like this idea*. I'd want this to be an inclusive trip, the more the merrier!

* you'll not get me running though!
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited May 2009
    just to give you an idea....

http://www.heartofthelakes.co.uk/highcroft.html

would cost 8 people just over £100 a week EACH

and that is in Bowness!

or:

http://www.heartofthelakes.co.uk/the_barn_coniston.html

you can see what sort of place you can get for the money
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jen J
    I love it when a plan comes together! :D

Before we look at booking anywhere, we need to know numbers. And see if we can get one huuuuge house or a few adjoining cottages or if we can cram loads of people into a cottage and have people sleeping on the floor.

And if it's going to be in August (ie school holidays) and we want a big place, it will need to be booked quickly. Apparently due to the credit crunch everyone is holidaying in the good ol' British Isles, and everything is getting snapped up.

There's not going to be a time that suits everyone, so maybe Jash you should pick when you want, as it's your idea, and people can try and fit in with you.

My preference would be for the Lakes, but anywhere similar would do. Again, your idea Jash, so your choice? If peope really want another date/place, they can always go organsie another trip...

Sorry, not trying to take over, Just trying to avoid revising.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J

and that is in Bowness!

or:

Presumably we could (possibly, if required) sneak people and sleeping bags in as well as the 8 official sleepers?

Some friends of mine are currently staying near Bowness, running 10 marathons in 10 days...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Kieran_Burns
    There ARE places that have a group of cottages in the grounds but you have to do some searching for these - if places are to be booked you need to get a wiggle on (ahem :wink: ) but the BIGGER ones tend to be free for longer

Best thing is to phone and get some ideas - let the booking company do the work

If people do go for the cottage idea - I can detail survival packs, as I've been doing them now for 10 years!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Jen J wrote:

Guys I like this idea*. I'd want this to be an inclusive trip, the more the merrier!

* you'll not get me running though!

+1 on the idea, the inclusive nature, and the not running! :D
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    edited May 2009

and that is in Bowness!

or:

I'm going on holiday with Heart of the Lakes on Friday! Been with them several times and the places are usually v nice.

Check this out: http://www.heartofthelakes.co.uk/claife_view.html#

there's a telly at the end of the bath!!

Would love to come on a group bike holiday but would never get the home office clearance required I fear! :cry:
  • cjcp

and that is in Bowness!

or:

The man's a genius. Great idea, KB.

Now, I don't know what the Northern Lakes are like, but I can recommend the area around Eskdale because it's similarly quiet and it close to Wast Water, which means you can ride the gloriously scenic road along Wast Water to the pub at the end. It's a dead end so you'd ride back the same way.

I would add, however, that it's a bit lumpy around there as Feltup and Rich will testify, as it's very close to the western side of Hardknott.

I stayed in a cottage right in the shadow of a fell/hill and can honestly say that I was as relaxed there as I've been since I was travelling.

KB - how does this area compare to the Northern Lakes?

Check out the Stilwell Cottages website for ideas: http://www.stilwell.co.uk/
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Sounds like a great idea and could work for us possibly. We are already in Polzeath camping for the first two weeks in Aug and I'll be taking the bikes hoping to get a few rides in if anyone wants to join me :) or can suggest some good routes.

However the Lakes looks a fantastic option. Looking at the sites CJ and KB posted,the accomodation available up there might be too restrictive if lots of people are up for this, as nothing seems to sleep more than 8. There is a place in the Brecon Beacons that would accomodate up to 23 however. The cost appears to be about £140 pppw. http://www.glansevin.com/location.php

I couldn't see anything available in the Lakes apart from late Aug BH and not much left anywhere really, so you'll need to get your skates on.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm more knowledgeable on the Southern Lakes (family came from, and now buried in Bowness... I can tell you some stories :wink: ) but Northern is 'less' rampantly touristy. The VAST majority of the tourists hover around Windermere and Coniston so once you clear them....

Mind you.. saying that. You could do a great circuit starting in Ambleside, take the back road up to the top of Kirkstone and loop back down through Troutbeck. The only problem being 'The Struggle' that would kill most people who haven't done Hardknott - it's short but it's vicious! Stop for a drink and a meal at the top (look for the Ghost of the young lad) and the brave can do Ullswater and the 50+mph descent and the others could go back to Ambleside via Troutbeck.

As for scenery well; frankly who cares? The thing is, it's easy to find your way around, and the beauty / interesting / stunning spots are aplenty. I would only recommend STAYING in the Northern Lakes to get far from the madding crowd - I've been going since I was 7 and only ever go out of season now, or for a day.

Eskdale as a case in point is gorgeous. Just stunning scenery and as it's on the Western side of the Lakes harder to get to so quieter. Whenever I think of Eskdale I think of three things: Boot and its pub... oh what a pub! Hardknott 'cos it's basically next door and standing on an outcrop while being waved at by the pilot of a VERY low flying jet as it tore up the valley.....

You've also got easy access to Honister from there and I know of a fantastic road that goes North just on the western edge of Buttermere. I've seen people cycling up the hill so I know it can be done (not sure if *I* could!) but it's worth it for the views.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    You can get larger places. I can find ones that can accomodate up to 24. As above though, you need to get moving to book one or two or three :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I REALLY want to come - but I can only make school holidays.......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    North Wales, Snowdonia & Anglesey the perfect combo

Snowdonia has of course all those slightly hilly roads :roll: plus climbing and or running up the mountain with/without a wicked hangover, my PB is 1hr 50mins :D

http://www.visitanglesey.co.uk/home-1.aspx

Snowdonia as seen from the beach in Anglesey, the beach that took over an hour to walk to because we parked in the wrong place :D
    Ynys_Llanddwyn_old_light.pg.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    lakes are a lovely area, and being a steep hill lover i'd like to have a play with hardknott.

i'd probably not be able to commit to anything at least for the moment but if you do go welsh and the black mountains, the eastern Breacon Beacons at the very least i can offer very low traffic free routes, mini alp like climbs and one hill that is steeper than average than hardknott or chimmney bank. though may well not be as steep on peak.

that area is also well stocked with very nice pubs plus food and is off the normal routes, MTB's go to crick and roadies go up gospel pass, leaves the rest of the hills free though....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I may be persuaded, a week in the lakes would be just what the doctor ordered. Eskdale sounds good, although you may find me at the foot of Hardknott every day muttering to myself, untill I've got up it that is :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    I wouldn't be able to make a week. A long weekend at most. Beacons would be a shorter drive for a long w/e. A week would be better if you're going to take a week off, just because of the length of the drive.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Either would do me, I've got some mates in Cardiff so Breacon would be good all round. A long weekend sounds more likely for me to be honest. I was just getting excited about meeting Hardknott again, there's a score to settle there :roll:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2