Which most comfortable tyre?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
As you may have seen from my other thread I am trying to get maximum comfort, rather than performance.

I wondered if changing the tyres would help, I currently have Mich Pro 3's.

What is the maximum size I can put on the Roubaix? I think it looks like 25?

Plus I pump them up to about 110psi, I am 12st 10Ib how much difference will a wider tyre make?

Thanks

Timeout

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try some Vittoria Open Paves run at about 95-100.

They should be perfect for you...
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Want to know the secret of a more comfortable ride, let some air out of those tyres :wink:
    Seriously, unless you are racing i can't see any point of putting 100 psi+ into a tyre.
    I have 23mm Conti GP4000s tyres and run them at 80psi rear / 60 psi front and i weigh nearer 14 stone. They give a smooth ride and i have never had a puncture, pinched the tube, or felt the need for more pressure.
    changing tyres is not going to solve your problem as 110 psi in any tyre will give you a hard ride.
    Give it a try, it will cost you nothing.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    topdude wrote:
    Want to know the secret of a more comfortable ride, let some air out of those tyres :wink:
    Seriously, unless you are racing i can't see any point of putting 100 psi+ into a tyre.
    I have 23mm Conti GP4000s tyres and run them at 80psi rear / 60 psi front and i weigh nearer 14 stone. They give a smooth ride and i have never had a puncture, pinched the tube, or felt the need for more pressure.
    changing tyres is not going to solve your problem as 110 psi in any tyre will give you a hard ride.
    Give it a try, it will cost you nothing.

Prevention of pinch flats.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I had neutral service from a Continental mechanic and he was telling me no more than 95 PSI.

I used to run my Vredesteins at 140 PSI ! :shock:
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I'm a bit lighter than you but I run my Pro 2 at 95psi. You do increase your chance of a pinch flat with lower pressure but if you avoid potholes you should be okay.
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    topdude is spot on. So many people blast their tyres right up to the max then wonder why their ride is uncomfortable. I use a Pro race 23mm on the front and a 25mm on the rear. I'm 14 stone and only ever put 90psi on the rear, sometimes only 80psi if it's a long sportive ride. I've never had a pinch flat and the difference between my comfort these days and what I used to experience on 23s with 100 psi plus is unbelievable.
    All I'd say is at least try lower pressures - don't believe the pinch flat hype!
    Having had pinch flats halfway to work at 4.30 am in the freezing rain / sleet.

I do believe the hype.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    My Roubaix is comfy enough with tyres at 120psi, pinch flatted on a man hole cover a couple of months ago with 80psi ofc it might still have happened at 120psi but I just don't like looking down at squidgy tyres :p
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I run my Continental 4000s tyres at 95psi rear and 85psi front, this is the first road bike I've had for a while and I've only done around 500 miles so far on them but I've not experienced any problems.

I've had them up to 110 psi which to me gave quite a harsh ride and riding with them at around 70 psi the tyres seemed to develope quite a bit of rolling resistance. Though the pressures that they are now at give a reasonably comfortable ride with good rolling resistance, apart from the more comfortable ride I can't tell the difference from 110 psi.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A Roubaix will easily accept a 25mm tyre and you might be able to fit a 28mm like a GP4 Season - it's more often the brake caliper clearance that's the problem. I've been extolling the virtues of fat tyres and low pressure for years - but the skinny tyre pumped to the max brigade take a long-time convincing
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..