Whats Ribble like to deal with ?

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited May 2009 in The bottom bracket
Thinking about ordering a few things from them, just wondered what their mail order/customer service is like.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Mail order okay, not the very fastest, but usually 2-3 days delivery. Prices usually very good.

Customer service - I have never had a reply to any of my emails over the years, on the phone they were rude and unhelpful (maybe it was because I was only planning to spend £1k - which I didn't after that performance). I have read on here they are a little evasive and unhelpful on warranty returns, though never had cause to do this myself.

I have been okay buying components from them if they are way cheaper than anywhere else, otherwise I prefer Wiggle, Merlin and CRC, as I know I will get no hassle, and fastest delivery.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I've found them OK - relaible.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    passout wrote:
    I've found them OK - relaible.

Same here, but then I've never needed to speak to them, just ordered online. I certainly haven't found them any better or worse than the other main players.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Only ordered once online, and all was okay. Groupset, wheels, and few other bits arrived within 48 hours.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Not the fastest by any means. Definitely one of the cheapest, theres some serious bargains to be had at Ribble right now.

CRC are the best all round though. Excellent customer support. Mainly MTB stuff but still good choice on the road side.
    Shazam !!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I am trying to return some bib shorts where the chamiois seam has worn/started to unravel.

> Sent them a note on the web form a week or so ago. No reply.

> Called a few times over the last few days. Always engaged.

> So today...
    - Called them at 9:01. Answerphone still on.
    - Called them at 9:05. Answerphone off. Line engaged.
    - Sent them an email. No response yet.
    - Called 12 times since. 11 times engaged. 1 time rang out after 2 mins.

I can only summise they have no interest in contact with customers???
    Rich
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    RichA wrote:
    I am trying to return some bib shorts where the chamiois seam has worn/started to unravel.

> So today...

It would seem so and best to avoid them then. Their website page where you input your name, address, phone number to set up an account isn't even secure https encrpypted so I didn't go any further with them. From the comments I have read by people who have bought from them you are in trouble if you need to return anything or have a problem with an item. Their prices might be low but so is the standard of their customer service. I've emailed them several times about items and have had absolutely no response. So as I say best to avoid. In contrast Parkers, CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, Discount Cylces Direct and SJS have been excellent in my experience.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    RichA wrote:

> So today...

To be fair they have recently replied to my email of this morning. they have suggested I send them back to them and they will investigate. i am hopeful of a +ve resolution. Let's see.
    Rich
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I ordered a pair of Assos shorts off them last Wednesday and they have been "in picking" ever since.I faxed and e-mailed them and finally got a reply today saying it "was delayed in despatch due to the delivery they were on not being checked off". They say i`ll get them tomorrow so I am unimpressed.I used them once before without problem and they even answered my e-mail very quickly that time.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Steve_T
    Steve_T Posts: 29
    Prices are very good.

Delivery is not the quickest, but ok.

Service was appauling when I had a problem with an order (>£1500). Their initial response was to try to avoid fixing the problem. I guess it helps them keep their costs down, but it open my eyes to the quality of their customer service.

CONCLUSION: I buy cheap things from them but would never make a high value purchase as I don't trust them with regard to after sales / warranty.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would never buy an expensive item online anyhoo, I just got some tyres from Ribble, no problems.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Steve_T wrote:
    Prices are very good.

Delivery is not the quickest, but ok.

Service was appauling when I had a problem with an order (>£1500). Their initial response was to try to avoid fixing the problem. I guess it helps them keep their costs down, but it open my eyes to the quality of their customer service.

CONCLUSION: I buy cheap things from them but would never make a high value purchase as I don't trust them with regard to after sales / warranty.

Just bought some tyres and tubes and saved about £8 on anywhere else. These are non-urgent and are items that are not likely to go wrong, so I take the risk. In respect of warranty, I never managed to get an answer to my enquiries about bike warranties; my view is that if they are keen to sell and are proud of their products and services, they would have been pleased to tell me - they didn't, so I presume they are not.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    ive used them loads with no problems

the only time an item broke they replaced it no problem by return of post
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    My frame/forks arrived fairly quickly, well-packaged etc - very pleased - took a bit longer to deliver smaller items like tyres etc though. Good enough prices, though.