Participants required for high altitude study, Leeds

amandaseims
amandaseims Posts: 13
Hi,

I am a PhD student at Leeds Metropolitan University and I am looking for participants for my research study, based at our laboratory in Leeds.

The study is looking at the effects of training the lungs using a Powerbreathe device on performance at sea-level and altitude. There is much research to show a benefit of training with a Powerbreathe on running, cycling and rowing performance at sea-level but there is little research into any benefits at altitude. Since breathing becomes rapid at altitude and exercise feels more difficult, it is possible that improving the functioning of the lungs through specific training would make breathing and exercise easier.

Due to ethical restraints I am not allowed to pay participants but you will receive a Powerbreathe which you can keep after the study has finished and will receive some information as to your current level of fitness.

I require males preferably (unless I get a large amount of interest from females), aged 18-40, who have regularly trained for the past 2 years at least 3-4 times a week on average. They must also have been to an altitude of at least 2000m on more than one occasion and not experienced mountain sickness.

The study is already in play so if anyone is interested they should contact me asap.

I will also be conducting studies researching the effects of acclimatisation and altitude training before high altitude expeditions for improving performance so if you are not able to participate in the current study but may like to be informed when I conduct these, let me know.

Kind regards,

Amanda

Comments