Bonty or Planet-x

bunnerscj
bunnerscj Posts: 396
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,
Bonty SSR wheels on a trek 1.7 08.
With the planet-x offer, Model B's on special at £99.00, are they worth changing for my Bonty SSR's ?
Advantages /Disadvantages ???
Thanks all.
'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    At £99 what have you really got to lose? They are light and responsive and not for a heavy weight. That is is all I can tell you. If you are ever going to try them then now is the time.

When I say not for a heavyweight what I meant is that they are not built to be the strongest wheels on the market and as such if you are a fatty then think again. Model C might be better. That's not to be rude but just realistic.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    How heavy is heavyweight ?
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Model B's are about the lightest wheels under £250/£300, but they seem strong - I am about 85kg and they have been fine for me. The model C's are only 90g more but have 32 spokes instead of 20/24. At the current price (or even full price) they are unbeatable by a big margin IMHO.
  • bunnerscj
    bunnerscj Posts: 396
    16st kitted up - would the Model B's hold up ?, only used for road riding, no racing or touring etc ?
    'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'
  • alfablue
    They might, but at only 90g more the model C's might be a safer buy, they are still lighter than anything near the price.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Well, what he has to lose is 100 pounds if the wheels aren't any better than his existing Bontrager wheels. That's a lot of money. A quick search reckons that the bontragers weigh 1850g, maybe a little more. That's really not too bad, but weight is only part of the equation. Miche Racing wheels weigh more than that, but they have nice hubs and strong rims.
  • 2PedalsTez
    2PedalsTez Posts: 2
    bunnerscj wrote:
    16st kitted up - would the Model B's hold up ?, only used for road riding, no racing or touring etc ?

I bl**dy hope so!.. I have been riding on them for 5 months now and so far so good :D
    (I am Just the better side of 16st)
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Wouldn't touch Planet X's with a barge pole. Save up a little more and buy some Bonty Race, or Race Lites
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    ACMadone wrote:
    Wouldn't touch Planet X's with a barge pole. Save up a little more and buy some Bonty Race, or Race Lites

Why? Bit of a useless comment without that :wink:
  • Change the wheels immediately, i have a trek 1.7 08 and the wheels are shite, i dont care about weight but these wheels have popped four spokes and have not even had the bike for a year yet, and i am only ten stone so am no heavyweight. The weight doesn't bother me but i would have thought that wheels that heavy would be uber-strong.
    btw is a great bike once you have changed the wheels, i love mine. Also the paint job is stunning, especially when you see it face to face.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • alfablue
    I fitted the Model B's to my g/f's Trek 1.2 yesterday. The weight saving over the standard wheels was over 800g. The result was 1.5mph improvement to her average speed on a regular ride we do, maybe some of that was a placebo effect, but surely not all of it. She is delighted with the wheels. The hubs are the smoothest running I have ever come across. This has got to be the best bang per buck upgrade ever!