my bottom hurts

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Right then

You lot mocked my silly saddle so I popped to LBS, got measured and bought a proper grown up saddle.

Well, now on long rides my sit bones get all sore.

The best response I have had so far is "it's supposed to hurt".

I am not so sure I like that answer.

Anyone got a better one?
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    linsen wrote:
    Right then

You lot mocked my silly saddle so I popped to LBS, got measured and bought a proper grown up saddle.

Well, now on long rides my sit bones get all sore.

Anyone got a better one?

WTFU and live with it like the rest of us :roll: :lol: I have saddle sores in a very very bad place do you hear me complaining, well yes actually, ouch :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I am NOT taking responsibility for this.

Have you tried sidesaddle?

(It gets better. Or eventually goes numb. Hard to tell the difference).
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    use the silly one, i have on my old bike a saddle that is very much a MTB saddle from ages back that while heavy and ugly, happens to fit very well that it's rare for me to be at all uncomftable on a ride, normally 50 miles give or take.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't understand the whole saddle sore thing...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • laughingboy
    laughingboy Posts: 248
    linsen wrote:
    ...on long rides my sit bones get all sore.

Anyone got a better one?

Some saddles - even ones that are later 'perfectly comfortable' - are tough on the sitting bones to begin with.

In time the soreness will pass (I think one's posterior adapts, somehow. In other cases, the saddle 'breaks in'). Think of it like 'fagging' - it is a rite of passage.
  • always_tyred
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't understand the whole saddle sore thing...

[Yoda] You will do. You will do[/Yoda]
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    When you say "sit bones", do you mean the twin points tucked under the base of your buttocks, above the top of the inside back of your hamstrings, about the size of you finger tip? if you were to try to stick your finger up your bum* whilst very p!ssed**, you could miss*** yet be close enough to hit these points?

These desensitize quite quickly on a new saddle. WFTU, in the meantime, FFS.

If you mean anywhere else, you should probably see a doctor. Female would be best, I reckon.

And just so you know, it's *always* worse for us blokes. Always.

* Not recommended
    ** Definitely not recommented under any circumstances.
    *** Highly recommended
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Yeh it's ALWAYS worse for men because were so hard

@DDD try riding 13+ hours a week then you'll know what I mean and trust me it hurts bad really bad, that's MTFUing
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg, what on earth are you ranting about? :?

Anyhow. I have the same saddle, and although after a break during a ride there's a brief period of 'ooh I know exactly where my sit bones are' it soon disappears.

However, Linds, I have a lot more @rse than you do... maybe you need more padding?
  • itboffin

Anyhow. I have the same saddle, and although after a break during a ride there's a brief period of 'ooh I know exactly where my sit bones are' it soon disappears.

However, Linds, I have a lot more @rse than you do... maybe you need more padding?

No no no less is more :roll: :P
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Linsen, which saddle?

As my bike came with a Spesh Women's Sonoma which for some reason I didn't get on with. It was fairly padded but the padding was pretty stiff so it sort of felt all angular anyway.

I've found love with the Charge Ladle saddle - it's hard, but it's smooth :)

Actually, it might be that I eventually go to the marginally narrower Spoon, as I can rather feel the sides of the saddle on my downstrokes, but we'll see...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itboffin wrote:

Yeah, that is the mantra. What was I thinking? WTFU. :P
  • always_tyred
    You know when you go to the bike shop to try that little measuring thing for Specialized saddles? What a waste of time. All they need do is ask "how far apart are the twin points tucked under the base of your buttocks, above the top of the inside back of your hamstrings, about the size of you finger tip? if you were to try to stick your.... CENSORED"
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Greg66 wrote:
    When you say "sit bones", do you mean the twin points tucked under the base of your buttocks, above the top of the inside back of your hamstrings, about the size of you finger tip? if you were to try to stick your finger up your bum* whilst very p!ssed**, you could miss*** yet be close enough to hit these points?

These desensitize quite quickly on a new saddle. WFTU, in the meantime, FFS.

If you mean anywhere else, you should probably see a doctor. Female would be best, I reckon.

And just so you know, it's *always* worse for us blokes. Always.

* Not recommended
    ** Definitely not recommented under any circumstances.
    *** Highly recommended

hahahahahaha

yes, proud to say that I know what sit bones are.....
    no investigations needed for now.....

Sarajoy - it is a Jett saddle.

Suppose it would help if I didn't ignore my bike for weeks on end then go out on a 100km ride, then do exactly that again :roll:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • always_tyred
    itboffin wrote:

Yeah, that is the mantra. What was I thinking? WTFU. :P
    Not every bloke thinks this.