Peter Green.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited May 2009 in The bottom bracket
For anyone else into the blues and especially Peter Green 8) - repeat of a great documentary on him BBC4 Friday 9.30pm - 11pm.
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Thanks for the heads-up on this - I saw the footage of him on the 'Blues Brittannia' documentary last week and was amazed. Any album recommendations?
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Ah , PG , the complete master of 'Less is More' .

I saw him at his peak once with Mayall and with the original Fleetwood Mac a number of times .

These YT vids remind me of those happy hours :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxeQKQQ6 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4HGlmtOcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVgXNSdWjck

I stuck the Jeremy Spencer vid on as he always got the place rocking when he was stoked up with his Elmore stuff . PG always looked happy too just riffing along with it .

I saw him on one of his comeback gigs with the so-called 'Splinter Group' second on the bill to John Mayall , but it was plain he was there as a prop and was still scambled in mind and body . Still it was nice to see him still with us .

CHRISNOIR Any album recommendations?

Off the top of my head , ' A Hard Road' , his first album with John Mayall after Eric C jumped ship .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Aggieboy
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Thanks for the heads-up on this - I saw the footage of him on the 'Blues Brittannia' documentary last week and was amazed. Any album recommendations?

Of the older stuff I'd recommend 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac live at the BBC and there's a three CD set called Live in Boston although No 3 is hard to find.
    For PG there's 'the best of Peter Green Splinter Group' and 'Reaching the Cold 100'.
    A good starter is 'The Supernatural' which has track's from both bands.

Have a look here under both Fleetwood Mac and Peter Green for most of his current and deleted stuff at good prices. http://www.snappermusic.com/Labels/Snapper. A really good site for these and other CD's.

I agree with Mercsport having also seen him with John Mayall and more recently at the Jazz cafe that he's past his prime but still well worth listening to.

Enjoy. He truly was a genius :)

[url][/url]
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Fleetwood Mac were mostly rubbish after he dissappeared. :? The man is a legend and last I heard was in a really bad way and was in a mental home after assaulting his missus. :(

Live at Madison Sq Garden is a fantastic album, and often about a quid in places like the supermarkets etc.
  • Aggieboy
    downfader wrote:
    Fleetwood Mac were mostly rubbish after he dissappeared. :? The man is a legend and last I heard was in a really bad way and was in a mental home after assaulting his missus. :(

Live at Madison Sq Garden is a fantastic album, and often about a quid in places like the supermarkets etc.

I agree - women a!!?

The downside of his life is explained in the doc'. He's actually touring again in Scandinavia.

I'd also recommend a friend of his,for no other reason than he's bloody good and I've been going to see him for over 30 years - 'Stan Webbs Chicken Shack' catch him if you can. http://www.stanwebb.co.uk/ Review here - http://files.dvdnote.com/press/njpdvd62 ... lblues.pdf
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    IMO Peter Green at his best is on "Fleetwood Mac - The Blues Years" - a triple CD or 5 vinyl album set on the old Castle Communications label. But then you'd need to get the original "Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits" cos blues years doesn't have Oh Well or Green Manalishi on it (which whilst not classic bluesy PG are must have tracks I reckon)

There's also some wonderful PG playing on the title track of an otherwise dodgy Pete Bardens album called "The Answer". Classic Peter Green, fluid playing, drenched with reverb with his unique sounding rewired Les Paul.. bloody wonderful

("The Vaudeville Years" is a good substitute if you can't get hold of Blues Years.)
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • downfader
    HonestAl wrote:
    IMO Peter Green at his best is on "Fleetwood Mac - The Blues Years" - a triple CD or 5 vinyl album set on the old Castle Communications label. But then you'd need to get the original "Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits" cos blues years doesn't have Oh Well or Green Manalishi on it (which whilst not classic bluesy PG are must have tracks I reckon)

There's also some wonderful PG playing on the title track of an otherwise dodgy Pete Bardens album called "The Answer". Classic Peter Green, fluid playing, drenched with reverb with his unique sounding rewired Les Paul.. bloody wonderful

("The Vaudeville Years" is a good substitute if you can't get hold of Blues Years.)

The les paul wasnt actually rewired. He just flipped the pickup around with the poles the other way. :wink: A lot of people say it was rewired out of phase but it wasnt, the sound came from the pole peices picking up the vibration from a different part of the strings. Guitarist did a thing on it a few years back:)
  • HonestAl
    I remember reading the article, my recollection was that he removed the pickup good and proper (as in unsoldered it) then when he put it back in he'd not only rotated the pickup but also inadvertently soldered the windings reverse phased.

Being a sad bugger I've tried both and doing the rewire thing makes the difference (or to my ears anyhoo)

Whichever is true, it was a unique sound at the time eh? Made him even more special
  • downfader
    HonestAl wrote:
    I remember reading the article, my recollection was that he removed the pickup good and proper (as in unsoldered it) then when he put it back in he'd not only rotated the pickup but also inadvertently soldered the windings reverse phased.

Being a sad bugger I've tried both and doing the rewire thing makes the difference (or to my ears anyhoo)

Whichever is true, it was a unique sound at the time eh? Made him even more special

I beleive Moore owns it now, and he had some techs take a look. They didnt find any difference other than it had been spun around. We also have t remember that a 60 year old pickup is going to sound a lot different to a more modern one. :)
  • HonestAl
    thats the great thing about guitars isn't it? The legend of "interesting ones" is often far better than the reality.

Whatever's the case, sadly it sounds a damn site better when he played than when I do :(

Bet the poor devils who are reading this are thinking "Please stop" so I will :D, though I could happily go on debating it for an age.. we need to move off to a sad guitarist forum :wink:
  • downfader
    HonestAl wrote:
    thats the great thing about guitars isn't it? The legend of "interesting ones" is often far better than the reality.

Whatever's the case, sadly it sounds a damn site better when he played than when I do :(

Bet the poor devils who are reading this are thinking "Please stop" so I will :D, though I could happily go on debating it for an age.. we need to move off to a sad guitarist forum :wink:

Well I've spent plenty of time on guitar forums, lol! :)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I have a few early Fleetwood Mac vinyl albums in the loft which I got in the late '70s early '80s when he was out of fashion and had been institutionalised. I saw the programme this evening. What a talent he was. Sadly like all geniuses he failed to fully exploit his talent as I don't think he really realised how talented he actually was. When he announced he was leaving Fleetwodd Mac the rest of the band didn't know what to do as he was Fleetwood Mac. Very sad. All the acid and drugs he took have clearly left their mark. He's lucky to still be alive. Many like him at the time didn't make it. Still he was able to write a few great tracks and albums before drugs started his downfall. In the documentary he appeared a very willing participant in the drugs scene at the time as he seems to think he produced his most creative music at this time with Green Manalishi. I preferred the really early stuff. The programme brought back fond memories as I haven't listened to the music for years except Albatross which gets an airing every now and again on the air waves.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • downfader
    dilemna wrote:
    I have a few early Fleetwood Mac vinyl albums in the loft which I got in the late '70s early '80s when he was out of fashion and had been institutionalised. I saw the programme this evening. What a talent he was. Sadly like all geniuses he failed to fully exploit his talent as I don't think he really realised how talented he actually was. When he announced he was leaving Fleetwodd Mac the rest of the band didn't know what to do as he was Fleetwood Mac. Very sad. All the acid and drugs he took have clearly left their mark. He's lucky to still be alive. Many like him at the time didn't make it. Still he was able to write a few great tracks and albums before drugs started his downfall. In the documentary he appeared a very willing participant in the drugs scene at the time as he seems to think he produced his most creative music at this time with Green Manalishi. I preferred the really early stuff. The programme brought back fond memories as I haven't listened to the music for years except Albatross which gets an airing every now and again on the air waves.

My understanding was that his drink was spiked with LSD in the 60s. He had made several anti drug statements before and after his "wipe out" but I guess it could have all been a ruse.