campag or shimano

mountainroadie
mountainroadie Posts: 244
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
been looking at a kuota kebel but cannot choose between the groups.
right now leaning towards campy {im a carbon addict}
help :?

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    What do you ride at the moment?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Light the blue touch and stand well back. It's the Campy v Shimano smackdown again. :P

Can you try both to see if you find one more comfortable than the other?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    And what about SRAM then? I've never used road groups from any of the three (last road bike had downtube shifters and was ancient even in 1990) but SRAM's stuff is highly rated and quite possibly the best value at the moment.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • cjcp
    Re VFM, the last time I checked, Shimano's prices had increased significantly.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Italian bike = Italian Groupset. 'nuff said.
  • cjcp
    That's right. Shimano. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • What do you ride at the moment?

trek elite 9.9 carbon
    zasker le
    boardman urban comp

dont have a proper road bike at the mo
    p.s love the maxima 8)
  • Italian bike = Italian Groupset. 'nuff said.

think i like the looks of campy more than shimano

never tried it though.i had a pinarello f4-13 with campag on it but this was only to raise funds for the elite 9.9 mtb.

but i am turning to the dark side......
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    What do you ride at the moment?

trek elite 9.9 carbon
    zasker le
    boardman urban comp

dont have a proper road bike at the mo
    p.s love the maxima 8)

Thanks! I do too...

As you find yourself in the same position as I was in January (before purchasing the Tifosi or the Viner) of never having tried either system, this thread might be of assistance... goes through the differences between the two systems.

Best plan though is to try out each one - I found the Campag shifters far better than the Shimano ones, but others will find exactly the opposite!
  • il_principe
    Italian bike = Italian Groupset. 'nuff said.

think i like the looks of campy more than shimano

never tried it though.i had a pinarello f4-13 with campag on it but this was only to raise funds for the elite 9.9 mtb.

but i am turning to the dark side......

You sir are a troll, but an Italian troll! You've owned a Pinarello, you want a Kuota, you'll get Campag.

As LiT says, try it, buy what you like. I like both, I prefer Campag. :D
  • Italian bike = Italian Groupset. 'nuff said.

you should take a visit to velo eccosse in edinburgh about 120 yards from edinburgh bicycle it is pinarello heaven in there . they have a limited edition prince white,red,black n gold :shock: never seen this anywhere else .this would go nicely with the sella smp full carbon seat that they have on display for £400 :shock:
  • if the funds were endless i would have a viner or a prince or a dogma or a wilier or a ......
    ssss funny but there is just something about italian road bikes.
  • LIT oops i didnt mean to start a shimano/campag war
    :oops:
  • i am pushing towards campag at the moment .... somebody tell me i am right ...no wait shhhhiiiimmmmaa.....no ......campag.....emmmm :? :roll: :? :roll:
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I can't decide between SRAM and Campag. Not keen on new shimano. Really like the look of SRAM and the fact it's bit different, but think the sheer performance of campag might sway me. Can't afford any at the minute so it's all hypopthetical anyway!
  • I just switched from shimano sora to campag centaur...what a difference! If you get on with the shifters then I'd go with campag.

It would definitely suit the kebel!
  • pmac1893
    pmac1893 Posts: 75
    what groupsets for the respective companies are you looking at? record vs. dura ace or centaur vs. 105? i work at a bike shop and ive heard only bad things about 7900.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    For the love of god, no-one buy a bike with campag shifters until you've test-ridden one. They are for freaks with thumbs in the wrong place, and the gear shifting lever slips backwards as soon as you try and press it. For anyone who has previously used Shimano, don't even think of switching without trying it first.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    You could always get Sampson Stratics to be different. They are somewhat Campag but with the little lever on the other side. Lots of carbon and gawdy gold graphics as well.

As a lover of innovation, I am seriously considering Sram. Because the cassette spacing is the same as shimano (shrewd move) I could trial it for the cost of some Rival shifters and a rear mech.

Unquestionably they have come up with something the others wish they'd thought of.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    For the love of god, no-one buy a bike with campag shifters until you've test-ridden one. They are for freaks with thumbs in the wrong place, and the gear shifting lever slips backwards as soon as you try and press it. For anyone who has previously used Shimano, don't even think of switching without trying it first.

+1!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

+1!
    Its designed for delicate little italians with twee little hands, not for large lumpen Saxons with hands like 24oz steaks.
  • mick_cornick
    mick_cornick Posts: 175
    Must be a freak I love Campag and I am now using SRAM (which is o.k.).
    Used to have a Shimano equipped bike but their stuff wears out and Campag beds in.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    What about the ease of maintenance? I am a bit of a muppet technically but the techdocs for shimano are really good and I've heard the campag docs are completely incomprehensible....

Can we add this into the equation, please?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Jeepie wrote:
    What about the ease of maintenance? I am a bit of a muppet technically but the techdocs for shimano are really good and I've heard the campag docs are completely incomprehensible....

Can we add this into the equation, please?

BZZZZT!

Not the case at all. Download them from Campy's website and see for yourself. Indexing front & rear is easy with Campy.

Campy gets my vote. And I'm prepared to don my Crusader gear, and lay seige to and then raze to the ground anyone who says otherwise.*

*In fact, I also have Ultegra a bike; I prefer Campy though
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i'd echo others on the try before you buy, contact points really need to be good. and you might find you hate one or other, i'd also say have a look at scram looks nice.

i'm not wild on campag saving 100g with a lowered powered rear brake, ABS indeed but their parts are supposed to be sericable which is handy.

my present bike is old bike which i wanted to keep in the spirit of so downtube shifters thus shimano as one else seems to make them.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    edited May 2009
    I used both and like them equally but do find myself pushing the brake levers sideways on my campys by mistake :lol: not good on hill climbs and I have accidentally shifted to a lower gear once or twice on the campys doh!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    yes that threw me the first time i had a go on a shimano, bike, the wooh the brake lever does this....

I really should sign up for one of evans try a bike out on a sportive one day and see which type i like. and over a good distance rather than just rolling around the block...
  • il_principe
    Go into your LBS, look at the Hybrids, what are they equipped with? Yep it's Shimano. You wouldn't find Campag on a hybrid, 'nuff said. :lol:

Shimano:

salary-man-train.jpg

Campagnolo:

182218__monica_l.jpg
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    biondino wrote:

Ham-fisted?

I thought I would only go with shimano, having tried them and liked the shifters, but ended up getting a campag veloce equiped Bianchi (without a test ride on campy). I actually rather like it, doddle to set up and the thumb lever is rather well placed to be usable from most positions on the bars.

Hoods aren't the most comfy though (although this could be how I have them set)
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur