Cyclone update

The number of entries for the 2009 event has already exceeded the 2008 final total for the Sportive rides. There are still 550 places available but at the current rate of entry these will be filled in about 3 weeks. If you want to be part of this great weekend you had better not delay too long.
On friday i secured sponsorship from Easyjet and they are providing some really tasty prizes which will be used for the Sportive rides :D .
I have also had confirmation that a top Danish team will compete over the weekend along with the two Dutch Teams in both the Leazes criteriums and the Beaumont Trophy.
There is also going to be a surprise event on the friday ight involving non cycling celebs.
It's going to be a great weekend for all.

Comments

• gavinrae
    gavinrae Posts: 9
    hi peter exactly where is you're new hill about may do a recce if got time? :shock: :shock:
  • gavinrae wrote:
    hi peter exactly where is you're new hill about may do a recce if got time? :shock: :shock:

Gavin - it's the hill out of Reedsmouth just SE of Bellingham. It's quaintly known as vomit pass :D
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    Peter
    I'm trying out the 101 mile route in bite size bits, so I don't get any major shocks on the day and was wondering where the 8 climbs are that you mention on the website

So far I can think of

Ritton
    the one just after Forestburn Gate
    Billsmoor
    Troughend Common
    Vomit Pass
    Ryals

which are the others ?

I've yet to do Troughend Common, how do you reckon it compares with Billsmoor ?

thanks
  • wiffachip wrote:
    Peter
    I'm trying out the 101 mile route in bite size bits, so I don't get any major shocks on the day and was wondering where the 8 climbs are that you mention on the website

So far I can think of

Ritton
    the one just after Forestburn Gate
    Billsmoor
    Troughend Common
    Vomit Pass
    Ryals

which are the others ?

I've yet to do Troughend Common, how do you reckon it compares with Billsmoor ?

thanks

there's a couple of little nasty ones between Snitter & Alwinton and the road from Elsdon to Otterburn ain't exactly flat :D
    Troughend common can be harder than Billsmoor if it's a westerly wind - it's not particularly steep just very exposed. I once tried to shelter behind Ray Wetherell going over there many moons ago and got no shelter :roll: Ray is 4ft 8 inches and built like a battle ship!
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    thanks Peter, better pray the winds nowt like it's been for the last few days then or I'll be needing lights
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    Hey wiffachip, fancy getting out tomorrow and trying Troughend in this wind :wink: you'll have to pedal to get down the other side if it's as windy as it is today (but on the up side you'll get blown up the Ryals :lol: )

I'm sure you'll forget the pain before June 13th :shock:

:D
  • bigcod
    bigcod Posts: 26
    My mates and I are confused about the Ride C(100mile) cyclone this year , has the route changed from last years?

The cyclone website site seems to have links to last years route , or maybe we are looking in the wrong place.

Can someone post a link to the correct route for this year Northern Rock Cyclone 100 mile route ?

Cheers
    Andy
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    HERE

I think you're looking in the wrong place.
  • bigcod
    bigcod Posts: 26
    LardLover wrote:
    HERE

Cheers for the link.
    I've noticed notice the route change around wark at 100K
    I did the 100 last year and my Garmin shows the altitude is different to last year, in that there was more climbing last year.

http://www.cyclogz.com/activity/3432

I looks to me the route for 2009 has less climbing than last year ? I was told it was the other way round. Is that true ?

Cheers
    Andy
  • bigcod wrote:
    LardLover wrote:
    HERE

Cheers for the link.
    I've noticed notice the route change around wark at 100K
    I did the 100 last year and my Garmin shows the altitude is different to last year, in that there was more climbing last year.

http://www.cyclogz.com/activity/3432

I looks to me the route for 2009 has less climbing than last year ? I was told it was the other way round. Is that true ?

Cheers
    Andy
    Andy - don't believe your Garmin. My legs and lungs know that vomit pass is higher and longer than the climb out of Birtley. In fact you actually descend back down to the top of Birtley from the top of the Redesmouth climb (vomit pass). There is also extra climbing between the Sharpeton turn off from last year and Alwinton. This also adds the exta distance for the 101 mile ride. Just to finish everyone off I've also added a little climb at the end from Dissington road ends to the top of Penny Hill (you won't see it called that on any map!)
    Entries now approaching 900 for the 101ml ride and over 700 for the 62 ml ride. This means there will be over 1600 going up the Ryals - what a sight! Overall the entries are reaching 2000 and I expect the final figure to be about 2100 making it the biggest sportive in England :D