What you've learnt from cycling

13»

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    *Reminded again today*

Riding into a 30mph headwind is a total crock.

Riding with a 30mph tailwind is AWESOME!

And yes, tailwinds do exist, but are very VERY rare. Savour them when you find them!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:

On a cycle path there will always be a pedestrian walking on it next to the empty pedestrain walk way.

Welcome to sunny Brighton... :roll:

yep remember that well when I was in Brighton. It's also an Exeter thing as well especially by the riverside....all 5 miles of it!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    London pedestrians use their ears to cross the roads (even mums pushing pushchairs :shock: )

Pre-unwrapping energy bars etc prior to a ride saves a lot of hassle when fueling on the move.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    And another think I learnt today is that although Cadel's MTB background supposedly means he descends well, he certainly has no idea about how to get aero. It looks to me like one bump and the front wheel is going straight up due to there being practically no weight over it.

610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    a_n_t wrote:
    Flash bikes and gear should have a rider to match.

riders who say "all the gear, no idea" are just jealous.

Yeah, I agree. Buy whatever you want. Wear whatever you want. Ride whatever you want.
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    maander wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Buy whatever you want. Wear whatever you want. Ride whatever you want.

As long as you bloody well enjoy it! :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    don't play chicken with HGV's and Busses...
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    When buying bikes or related items, the word "want" has been replaced by the word "need".

I don't make the rules.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Staring a a lady's lycra clad bottom instead of concentrating on the road is dangerous!

Ladies wearing white lycra are even more dangerous
  • muffin top
    muffin top Posts: 78
    When descending, approach a very steep and very sharp bend from a wide position.

If you end up riding on the verge (see above), rocks and tree roots make a hard landing.

When I'm zipping along at over 20mph on the flat, without making much effort, and I start to think 'all that training is paying off, I'm getting really good' - check for that previously unnoticed tail wind. It'll be there.
    I should get out more (on the bike)
  • muffin top
    muffin top Posts: 78
    When the wife complains that she only plays tennis for 1 or 2 hours a week while you cycle for 10 hours, remind here that:
    - she sleeps for an extra 10 hours a week
    - she spends 10 hrs/wk on the phone to her mum
    - she spends an extra 10 hrs/wk in the bath
    Therefore you are actually owed 22 hours cycling each week!

The wife doesn't apply the same logic as you when assessing relative leisure time.
    I should get out more (on the bike)