Camp sites in France

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
I was on my way to sticking a Michelin campsite guide into my basket on Amazon when I read the reviews and realised that they're quite poor books and that not all campsites are covered. I was hoping for a book that listed every campsite in France; surely a useful resource for anyone on a jaunt with plenty of flexibility. It seems thats not an option. Does anyone know of a definitive book or else, whats the next best thing?

Comments

• heavymental
    Whoops, should have checked before posting. I notice the following link on another thread. Looks like just what I'm after. Just have to brush up on the french.

http://www.campingfrance.com/campingenf ... ?idPage=56
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm rather jealous of you, I love camping in France, not done it since I was a kid! Have a great time, bring back plenty of nice pictures...
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    How much do 700-odd pages weigh?

Local French tourism offices will have a list of sites in their area. And they'll be free.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    The best one is the caravan clubs, Caravan Europe 1, this gives good directions but more importantly each site as been rated by it,s members we travel allot in europe and this along with Europe 2 are the only camp site guides we now use , these can be obtained from Waterstones
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I haven't seen the Michelin guide but I do have the Guide Routard Nos Meillure Campings en France (Hachette - available from amazon.fr). I've found their recommendations/comments pretty reliable.

It doesn't cover every site in France but even so it weighs in at a shade under 450g - comprehensive coverage comes at a price!
  • heavymental
    I forgot to mention I'll be travelling by car so weight is no issue here. I just wanted to be able to have a book that told me where the sites were without having to stop at a tourist office. Especially if arriving after 5. I'm not too bothered about the quality for one night stops so its more important to have every...or lots...of sites listed.

Mac has thrown a spanner in the works (with his first ever post!) as that Caravan Club guide looks good too and the fact it has 'good directions' is useful. I'm trying to avoid too many incidents of following signposts that suddenly run out leading to a few circuits of the town. It sounds comprehensive. Does it include little sites that don't cater for caravans?
  • mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    It contains every kind of site from a farmers field with a tap and a hole in the ground to large expensive sites with swimming pools etc most will take tents as well as caravans , we allways try to use municipal sites these are run by the local council usualy within walking distance off the town and cheap, the caravan book leasts most of the municipal sites in France , as I say we have done some long trips around Europe in a camper van including one lasting six months and this giude is the only one we take with us
  • heavymental
    Nice one Mac, that sounds like the book for me then.

And Napolean...get out there! A week or so camping and riding in France is easy to sort out, not too expensive and getting into the mountains of France is essential for any cyclist! Summer on its way so get planning!
  • dobbo75
    dobbo75 Posts: 23
    I've been over there for the past two years following the tour etc.
    Two books I found really useful are:
    Camping and caravanning - France - Alan Rogers
    Lonely planet - France.
    These books have loads of good campsites with an honest write up, they also include maps, directions, email adresses and phone numbers!!