Fractured Metatarsal

Pirahna
Pirahna Posts: 1,315
I've fractured the 5th metatarsal on my right foot. Anybody had a similar experience and how long before you could put enough pressure on the foot to resume cycling?

Cheers.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, I broke my leg in three places on Friday March 13th this year and was on the turbo 5 weeks later. (albeit very very slowly!) Club 10 mile TT tonight - should take me about 50 minutes.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    I fractured my left cuboid once. Light pedalling after 6-8 weeks, full pressure after 12.
  • rgarner
    rgarner Posts: 77
    Avulsion fracture?

I did my fifth in mid-October 2008 in a crash which damaged my 2008 Epic Comp. X-ray seemed to show it was quite minor, but I did my ribs at the same time and couldn't use crutches as a result. The rib pain outweighed the foot pain for about four weeks, then the foot pain took over with a vengeance. My right foot is significantly lumpier than my left now (but getting smaller - apparently the blastocytes can take a couple of years to remove bone scar tissue).

I didn't cycle again till March. I did try to get the bike repaired in Feb, but went to the garage to discover it had been stolen. I don't think I'd have wanted to begin cycling again until at least Jan (and I was having physio, as I had lost all balance). The physio concentrated on activating my upper core, and I was wearing an orthotic for a good few months (still do, when it aches).

I felt that my recovery time was way longer than I'd have expected, but I suppose I was repairing more than one bone. Also, I'm 38 - these things do take longer as you get older, but I wasn't prepared for how long!
  • uch255g
    uch255g Posts: 93
    just done my 5th on the right foot.
    missing riding already.
    anyone else got any experience on getting back in the saddle.
    thanks
    On One Inbred
  • slowclimb
    slowclimb Posts: 34
    Ive done this twice, last year and the year before! :?
    back on the bike within 3 weeks, do your shoes up nice and tight and they support it.......didnt say it didnt hurt though :twisted: