ripped valve ... any ideas?

MTA
MTA Posts: 20
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
I feel like one of those long time listener, first time caller people! After being entertained by you lot for awhile, I wonder whether there is anyone who can help this damsel in distress. :(

I commute everyday from South Shieds to Newcastle, it's only 18 miles a day so nowt flash. But it's very annoying as I'm well into double figures changing my back inner tube. :x

I went through a very bad deflations period, so I got myself some 'puncture resistant' lovelies! Fab I got no more punctures. :D Unfortunately my valve keeps getting ripped, once it came clean off. :(

I have swapped front and back tyres round, and made sure tyres were fully pressured. It has never happened with my front tyre, only the back.

I have now swapped to the original tyres. And I've gone a week without changing a tube, I think it's a record!! :D

So any ideas?

Oh and just to get a little more sympathy, two weeks ago, one day two inner tubes gone, next day a snapped chain ( and a 2 hour walk home)! :cry:

But hey, still love it! We're mad aren't we...

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Do you brake mostly using the back brake?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    I went through a very bad deflations period, so I got myself some 'puncture resistant' lovelies! Fab I got no more punctures. Unfortunately my valve keeps getting ripped, once it came clean off.

Been there suffered from that on one of my bikes. Check the rim tape (or plastic equivalent) arount the valve hole on the wheel. I found that there was a little bit of rim exposure here which kept ripping the side of the valve stem. A little extra rim tape covering this exposed area and no more punctures.

One other possible cause is if the valve is not at 90 degrees to the rim.

Mike
  • MTA
    Not that I'm aware of, I think I'm pretty even handed.

I'll take note tonight.
  • MTA
    cheer for this guys, things I can check ASAP.

I have looked at the tape when I was trying to find a problem, but to be honest I didn't know what I was looking for. I'll look again.
  • mudcovered wrote:
    I went through a very bad deflations period, so I got myself some 'puncture resistant' lovelies! Fab I got no more punctures. Unfortunately my valve keeps getting ripped, once it came clean off.

Been there suffered from that on one of my bikes. Check the rim tape (or plastic equivalent) arount the valve hole on the wheel. I found that there was a little bit of rim exposure here which kept ripping the side of the valve stem. A little extra rim tape covering this exposed area and no more punctures.

One other possible cause is if the valve is not at 90 degrees to the rim.

Mike

or you could reinforce the valve. well the area around the valve with an old inner tube to be sure after you have checked the above. Have a look for some rough edges that may be exposed due to the rim tape moving.......
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I had a few going at the valve when I had a sort of plastic strip instead of rim tape. It got a bit jagged around the valve hole, and replacing it with some proper rim tape (the kind of cloth stuff that sticks to the rim) sorted it for me. Also it took up a bit more space and made the tire a slightly tighter fit, which lessens the chances of the tire moving on the rim and dragging the tube a bit with it.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    or you could reinforce the valve. well the area around the valve with an old inner tube to be sure after you have checked the above.

Didn't think of that. Fortunately I had a bit of rim tape left over so I just cut a patch for the exposed area and haven't had any problems since.

Mike
  • Feltup
    It's just strange that it only happens with one set of tyres which would hint the tyre may be slipping somehow and dragging the tube with it. If the valve hole is sharp then you will get a sawing action with the tyre slip. If the tyre isn't moving then perhaps it is the way you are pumping your tyres up?

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Valves don't generally rip so something is eithe catching it on the outside or getting at it from the inside i.e. the rim where the volve sticks out.

The Rim (just in case you don't know) is the outer circe of metal that the tyre and tube sit on.

In cross section it's a U shape.

At the bottom of the U covering the spke holes is "Rim tape" it's generally like thick selloptape that stops nicks and snags of metal from getting to your tubes.

The guys are suggesting that the hole that the valve goes through may have a snag on it that is catching on the valve seating and that's your problem. This could either be metal of the rim, or a bot of old tape that's become brittle and sharp or something else that's got in there.

Take it off and have a a good look at it. Might be worth getting some rim tape in any case.

Welcome by the way.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Are the new tyres the right size? The exact same size as the old ones? Were they easier or harder to get on and off than the old ones or about the same?

What I'm thinking is that somehow the new tyres were slipping on your back wheel, perhaps due to braking perhaps due to drive, and pulling the tube round thereby setting the valve off-centre...

What sort of tube are you using? Also what sort of bike, and what are the old and new tyres?
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    when you put the tyre on line up some writing on the sidewall with the valve stem and take note of where it is. If the tyre is slipping on the rim it will grab the tube and pull it around with it so dust the inside of the tyre with talc before you put it on and then it should be able to slip on the rim without dragging the tube around with it.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • MTA
    With all of the advice, I put the tyre back on last night and cycled in on it this morning, My inner tube lasted until 2 mins from work. I've looked at the rim strip and it has moved to half cover the valve hole. Both tyres are the same size, so I am also puzzled as to why it would happen with one and not the other. I'm going to change the plastic strip as MrChuck suggested. I'll let you know if it's successful. Cos at this rate it would be alot cheaper getting the metro to work, even if it takes twice as long.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    So the rim tape has slipped over the valve hole?

Normally it's sticky and doesn't move at all. Also there's no reason why is should move unless your tyres are slipping along the rims and taking the inner tube with them and thiis is dragging the rim tape along...

You say you bought new tyres recently - how recently - also are we sure teh tyres are the right size for the rims - how olds your bike?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • MTA
    I have never replaced it and it's just plastic at the mo, there's no sticky tape involved at all. but I'll buy some tonight.

Tyres in jan, but my bike isn't that old - july last year.
  • Feltup
    How hard do you pump your tyres? If you told us what tyres and wheels you have we mayhave some further suggestions.

If the tape is slipping then I would imagine the tyre is slipping and dragging the inner tube as greg said. Just fitting sticky rim tape will help but may not be enough on its own. It is a good start though.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • MTA
    MrChuck wrote:
    I had a few going at the valve when I had a sort of plastic strip instead of rim tape. It got a bit jagged around the valve hole, and replacing it with some proper rim tape (the kind of cloth stuff that sticks to the rim) sorted it for me. Also it took up a bit more space and made the tire a slightly tighter fit, which lessens the chances of the tire moving on the rim and dragging the tube a bit with it.

Thank you for all of the helpful suggestions.

I followed the above advice and I haven't replaced my tube since. 6weeks!!

What's the betting I've got to stop and change one on the way home.

As always sometimes it's the easiest things that need doing.