Ribble Nero Corsa VS Planet X SL Carbon frame

roy_batty
roy_batty Posts: 74
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
As I will soon have £400 burning a hole in my pocket, what frame?

1) Planet X SL Pro carbon frame and forks. £399
http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... _Road.html
black500.jpg

2) Ribble's branded Nero Corsa 12K Carbon frame - extra 15% off this Monday, making the frame £311!
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... IBBFRAR910
RIBBFRAR910_1_Zoom.jpg

What do you reckon? If it was your money, which way would you jump?
I've got no strong feelings over either one, except the Planet X is pretty

Comments

• mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Planet x absolutely. Looks heaps better.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You also need to buy some forks for the ribble.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • roy_batty
    Yeah but the forks are only £76 just now.
    So come Monday the Ribble will be £376 incl frame and forks!
    Can't decide!!!
  • gabriel959
    If its only 20 quid in between them I would go for the one that looks the best - IMO the Planet X but you might think differently.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Planet X looks better - but I have seen the ribble in the flesh and it looks much better than that picture. I think there are availilbity issues with Ribble - so I would ask each for stock details.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I have the Ribble and love it - it rides brilliantly. I find that my descending has improved since I've had the Nero Corsa. A very stable and comfortable bike but still lively/fun enough. It looks fine in the flesh too but I must agree the planet X is probably a better looking frame. The small Ribble frame can take two bottles while the small planet x can only take 1 by the way. They are both good options but the Ribble would be my choice (obviously).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Nero Corsa isn't that good. The frame ain't as good as a CAAD9
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RD, I think you need to qualify that statement for people on here that don't know where you are coming from...
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

If you'd have bought the right size ? :wink:
  • redddraggon
    Mettan wrote:

If you'd have bought the right size ? :wink:

The only issue size wise with my Nero Corsa is that I can't get the bars low enough. The TT length is fine. So you could say the geometry is screwed up rather than anything - 55cm TT with 17.5cm Headtube? Headtube is at least 3.5cm too long IMO - My ribble winter bike has a 55cm and 11cm headtube (slightly too short but a 1cm spacer sorts that).

The frame also feels dull, and energy absorbing, but still seems to deliver a rather rough ride. TBH the frame feels like a bit of a noodle.

Most people buy something and then convince themselves they bought the right thing by giving it a good review. But the Nero Corsa frame really isn't as good as the reviews seem to make out.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • passout

It is good and it is great value. I guess you own a CAAD9 then? Is that the aluminium one?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • redddraggon
    passout wrote:

It is good and it is great value. I guess you own a CAAD9 then? Is that the aluminium one?

No I own a Nero Corsa
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • passout
    I asked Ribble to put a shorter stem on mine (at no extra cost) - it's 100mm instead of 110mm. I run the stem at it's lowest and find it a really good position. Perhaps it isn't ideal for racing but for longer rides (80 miles plus) it is the most comfortable bike I've owned. I don't find it dull - rather neutral & stable, allowing you to push it with confidence. I certainly can't see what you mean by energy absorbing, quite the opposite I reckon. Nothing is perfect though - I don't like the seat clamp.
  • redddraggon
    I wouldn't waste my money on Nero Corsa again.

It's just a cheap carbon frame, better quality Alloy frames can be had for the same or less as Nero Corsa, and that's where my money would go on a bike at around £1000.

Having a tried a CAAD9 I could tell straight away it was a better frame.

It's an ugly frame too :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • passout
    Perhaps you just prefer the more rigid feeling of aluminium? Anyway, I'm off to ride up the Trough of Bowland on my much loved nero Corsa! Ta ta.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12612712
    this chap was having issues with PLanet X, and there finish quality
    Don't know if he resolved it
    NorthernManUK
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12612712

I think you've picked up on an extremely rare case. Nearly everyone I have spoken to has been nothing short of ecstatic with their Planet X, which I personally think is phenomenal value. He really should have spoken with Planet X if he wasn't satisfied. They are quite agreeable I have found. Yes their stuff represents good value for money but that doesn't mean they can't give good customer service as well. If they didn't, they would have a bad name by now. And they haven't.
  • roy_batty
    Thanks everyone that commented.
    Looks like the Planet X is leading. Looks pretty darn good in white too!
  • passout
    You'll always find someone who has a complaint but generally most people are happy with these bikes. I'd certainly buy a Nero Corsa again and I've bought wheels from Planet X and found them good too. I reason I choose Ribble over Planet X or the Cayo is that I live in Preston and so popped into the shop to get measure up properly.
  • t0ny
    t0ny Posts: 59
    I was looking at these two frames among some other bikes and went with the Planet X. Gets some fantastic comments in the latest C+ (although kitted out with some expensive wheelsl).

I got mine recently and I am just waiting for my shifters to be delivered to finish the build. Obviously I can't comment on the ride, but I THINK the bike looks great and is soooo light!!

I have to say that the service from Planet X was just fantastic. The guy on the phone talked me through everything including sizing with out any pressure . The bike was delivered very quickly and was packaged extremely well.

I am so happy so far!

Here is an image if you are interested:

bike_small.jpg
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • passout
    Looks really good, nice wheels too.

Going back to earlier posts - the headtube length looks very similar on both bikes to my eye. Both come with lots of headset spacers too I see. or do you have to request them with Planet X?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Planet-X comes with about 35mm of headset spacers fitted, so there is plenty of adjustability. With them all in place below the stem I get a position very much like my Audax bike.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    I got mine recently and I am just waiting for my shifters to be delivered to finish the build. Obviously I can't comment on the ride, but I THINK the bike looks great and is soooo light!!

Would agree about it being light - like very light. Would have to spend a fair bit more elsewhere to get something that comes close I reckon.

Here are my thought on my ProSL if you're interested:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15182389
    Mens agitat molem
  • lee337
    lee337 Posts: 17
    NorthernManUK wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12612712

I was the originator of that thread & I had forgotten about it, possibly due to me & my winter bike being on the wrong end of a SMIDSY the following day. Yes I resolved it, but not with any help from planet x. It got so bad I just peeled off the remaining lacquer & applied some clear lacquer. Most people won't notice the damage, but I do and in this case, I'm the only one that counts.
    giant mancp wrote:
    I think you've picked up on an extremely rare case. Nearly everyone I have spoken to has been nothing short of ecstatic with their Planet X, which I personally think is phenomenal value. He really should have spoken with Planet X if he wasn't satisfied. They are quite agreeable I have found. Yes their stuff represents good value for money but that doesn't mean they can't give good customer service as well. If they didn't, they would have a bad name by now. And they haven't.

It may indeed be an extremely rare case, but that doesn't help much when your pride and joy looks like a lump if sh?te, and the supplier say it's nothing to do with them. They may have a good name, but I won't be using them again & certainly wouldn't recommend them.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I am a Planet-X owner and fan of their service, but I would have sued rather than do DIY (having gone "up the gears" first). When you get to the 7 day "notice prior to action" recorded delivery letter stage I have found companies invariably cave in, albeit grudgingly.
  • gabriel959
    I would have sued them too. It is probably the price you need to pay for the lower end of the carbon frames from small manufacturers.

I have certainly been put off buying either of them now so thanks very much :lol: 8)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • fingerfun
    fingerfun Posts: 82
    I think that one-off example was just purely unlucky (and as in cars there is always one lemon) and I'm surprised Planet X weren't more helpful as I have found them to be fantastic in all areas. My Carbon Pro build is fanatastic - rides very well, looks good, is light plus no damage of any sort and I've had it for 2.5 years and thousands of miles. I also felt confident (after reading lots of other reviews prior to purchase) that if something did/does go wrong PX would be helpful... as it happens all is good so no need as yet.
    M. :D
    Question: Why do so many cyclists not stop at red lights? You would if you were in a car...
  • lee337
    lee337 Posts: 17
    Looks like I got a double whammy of unlucky.
    Badly finished bike & bad service from planet-x.

Maybe I should have pushed them, but after having my winter bike destroyed in an accident I wanted to get a bike on the road.
    Wasting even more time going down the sueing route did not appeal.

I still like the bike, just not as much as I did & won't deal with planet-X again.
    As I previously mentioned, I would not recommend the company.

would you want a bike that looked like this?
    IMG0001-LO.JPG