Car drivers

scottjessuk
scottjessuk Posts: 58
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Well just to let everyone know that if you fancy visiting Edinburgh and you get knocked off your bike, don't plan on anyone giving you a hand with your bike or yourself. It's a bloody joke.

As you can probably tell I was knocked off my bike this weekend in what I once thought was Edinburgh the beautiful city full of helpful friendly people. This woman pulled right out in front of me as I went head over heels landing on my head, Not much fun really. The most annoying thing being that no one even stopped to see if I was ok. I have to say if it was on the other foot I would stop and give him/her a hand and give them my details just in case they needed a witness.

Ah well not everyone is a kind and helpful I guess, especially in the Edinburgh. My bike is getting checked out on Wednesday so hopefully there isn't too much damage, certainly a new front wheel and it looks like the chainset is twisted, I'm just hoping the frame isn't twisted too and that the woman has insurance. I'm going to need a new helmet which is cracked down one side too.

Another thing I didn't go to the hospital because I feel fine but people keep telling me I should go and get checked out because I landed on my head/neck, what would you guys say?
Stevens Cyclocross
One One Pompino
Giant Talon 0

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    If you don't get it checked out and you have problems later it will be very difficult for you to claim the injury was caused by the crash.

If you actually have no injury then you are fine, otherwise go for a check up and just think of it as being precautionary. Natasha Richardson after all felt fine and we know how that ended...
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    You should have gone to a/e just to have anything ruled out. You did land on your head afterall and just the damage to your helmet should be enough to make you think about getting checked out.

Also insurance wise if you claim now and expeirance problems later you have no come back at all
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    my employer forced me to go to hospital after I had a crash on the way to work.....

I felt fine, until later when the adrenaline wore off. glad they sent me off in a taxi, even though nothing serious was wrong (if you discount the broken ribs)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yup, get yourself to a hospital asap for a check up. If you go now, you might get in before those who end up in A&E after a bank holiday p!ss up.

Btw, you say that you hope the woman has insurance. Did she stop then? You don't mention this bit in your post. Any CCTV in the area to confirm your version of events, should this be necessary?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • scottjessuk
    Thanks for you opinion guys, I will probably head up to a&e tomorrow morning for a wee check over just in case there are any lying problems.

The woman only stopped because I told her to but I think she probably would have, but she just froze because she was in shock over what happened. I have all her details and license plate. My bike is my main worry, I saved up for sometime to get my first proper bike and I just hope it's not too damaged.

Because it happened on Saturday will I be too late to go to the police and report what happened, and I guess when I need to claim back on her insurance I might need an incident number.
    Stevens Cyclocross
    One One Pompino
    Giant Talon 0
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    definately make a report to the police giving all the information you have.

yes insurance company will require an incident number.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Edinburgh the beautiful city full of helpful friendly people
    Okay, Edinburgh may be many things, but when was it ever friendly?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I'm riding to Edinburgh and staying there next month, before riding home, and maybe riding one of the days I'm there.

I fully expect death.
  • always_tyred
    whyamihere wrote:
    I'm riding to Edinburgh and staying there next month, before riding home, and maybe riding one of the days I'm there.

I fully expect death.
    Way better road manners up here than the home counties. You may get blown away in the wind, or fall down a bottomless pot hole, but the drivers shouldn't get you. I just meant that the atmosphere of the city is about as friendly as Oxford (another city not renound for overt friendliness).
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Edinburgh the beautiful city full of helpful friendly people

We NEVER talk to strangers, on the chance we may actually talk to someone from *shudder* GLASGOW. Can you imagine it? :shock:

Scottjessuk - where did it happen? On monday morning sometime?

Whyamihere - quite possibly. :twisted:
  • scottjessuk

Ha ha your totally right, what came over me thinking that, must have been the knock to my head.

It happened on sat on the way from one of my jobs to another, still managed a 16 hour shift on adrenaline.

I have reported it to the police now so hopefully it will get resolved sometime soon. They suggested that I call the woman to get her details of insurance and so forth, oh dear that was interesting anyway. It was fairly difficult to understand what she was saying but it did sound like she said she was driving her sisters car uninsured.

Oh and that I have damaged the car that she was driving and something fell off the car as she was going home The funny thing is that I do recall her being the one that pulled out in front of me causing damage to me my bike and her sisters car.

Ah what a pain in the neck literally.

Hey at the end of the day I'm still here unlike many hit and run biking incidents so I'm happy all the same. Just want my bike fixed so I can get out to Glentress for a blast again.
    Stevens Cyclocross
    One One Pompino
    Giant Talon 0
  • always_tyred
    They are friendly at Glentress.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    [quote It was fairly difficult to understand what she was saying but it did sound like she said she was driving her sisters car uninsured.

Oh and that I have damaged the car that she was driving and something fell off the car as she was going home The funny thing is that I do recall her being the one that pulled out in front of me causing damage to me my bike and her sisters car.

Glad you are ok, but if she doesn't pay up then tell her you will go back to the police to tell them she was driving uninsured then her sister as well as she will be in trouble as sister appears to have let her drive her car without insurance. She might also be an illegal or have no driving license what so ever, never ever taking a test :shock: ! Did you get a picture of the driver and her vehicle and any damage to it? Witlesses? Always carry a camera and call the police if knocked off and go to hospital. There's a lot to remember, if you are able, but it means they won't get away with it. Do a search on the MID to see if the car is insured. It won't tell who is insured only if the vehicle has insurance on it. Do you have 3rd party insurance such as from the CTC or LCC for any claims made against you? It is wise to have some in the unlikely event some one would try to make a claim against you.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Don't worry...no-one stopped for me when I was hit side on by a car at 30 mph - both me and the car were blocking the roundabout - seen by about at least 10 cars.... all carried on....

The only person to stop was a taxi driver after about 5 minutes - asked if everyone was OK. I then had to hobble home.....

Anyway - all reported, BC solicitors onto it, I've been in pain for over 4 months, receiving twice weekly physio, third party admitted liability, bike damage paid, but £1k of physio is outstanding. MRI and Neve damage tests soon... on shoulder, and that wasn't a 'bad' shoulder injury (some are total separation/snapped ligaments etc)....

People just think 'not my problem' and drive on. I was lucky the driver stopped.....we'll she didn't have much chance as I was still close to the car when I came to a stop - managed to punch the front wing in anger though...whilst stuck on the road.... :lol:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Get checked out -I noticed the extent of my injuries after about two weeks - usual bruising etc, but that faded.... went swimming with the kids....clunk...clunk - shoulder - and then the pain set in. Still does it now - my party trick - you can hear it clunk across the room now. :?

Report it as advised - just cover your ass as you were injured.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    fossyant wrote:
    Don't worry...no-one stopped for me when I was hit side on by a car at 30 mph - both me and the car were blocking the roundabout - seen by about at least 10 cars.... all carried on....

The only person to stop was a taxi driver after about 5 minutes - asked if everyone was OK. I then had to hobble home.....

Anyway - all reported, BC solicitors onto it, I've been in pain for over 4 months, receiving twice weekly physio, third party admitted liability, bike damage paid, but £1k of physio is outstanding. MRI and Neve damage tests soon... on shoulder, and that wasn't a 'bad' shoulder injury (some are total separation/snapped ligaments etc)....

People just think 'not my problem' and drive on. I was lucky the driver stopped.....we'll she didn't have much chance as I was still close to the car when I came to a stop - managed to punch the front wing in anger though...whilst stuck on the road.... :lol:

:shock: Ho-lee...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    fossyant wrote:
    Get checked out -I noticed the extent of my injuries after about two weeks - usual bruising etc, but that faded.... went swimming with the kids....clunk...clunk - shoulder - and then the pain set in. Still does it now - my party trick - you can hear it clunk across the room now. :?

Report it as advised - just cover your ass as you were injured.

Punching the car is probably what did it :shock:
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • scottjessuk
    My bike is in the bike shop now and has been now for 2 days so I hope it's not too badly damaged. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks all for your support on this incident.
    Stevens Cyclocross
    One One Pompino
    Giant Talon 0