what size pompino?

explosifpete
explosifpete Posts: 1,327
edited June 2009 in Road general
I'm after a pompino and I've taken to spending my time thinking way to much about it (i've been told to lay off the riding for a bit but the docs :(
But i'm in two minds about size as i'm 5'10" and that beween sizes 51 and 54.
I tryed a lapeirre today in a 52cm and that was good but then that still don't help!

What shall i do?

Comments

• MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    I had a kaffenback which is essentially the same frame and am the same height as you.

Top tubes are reasonably long, but head tube is short - unless you want a head-down-Rse-in-the-air position or about 6" of spacers get the 54, maybe a shorter stem than you might usually run.
  • explosifpete
    that was the one i was thinking of going for as i'm gonna be using it offroad most of tyhe time and dont want to be arse up.

thanks
  • weaty
    weaty Posts: 122
    I Am 5ft10" and I just got a medium or 51 pompino
    I was like you, I could not make up my minde but took the plunge and whent for that size and am very happy with it.

Cheers
    P
  • explosifpete
    does it feel small? as your at the limit on that size.

I just don't know!
  • weaty
    weaty Posts: 122
    I know where you are coming from, I had wanted one for ages but couldnt decide which size to get.

Mine feels plenty long enough, I have a 120 stem on and about 1" of spacers under the stem, which is flat.

Everone is different, but I dont like a frame to feel too big, you cant make a frame smaller, but you can make it bigger with stem and seatpost adjustments.

Just my opinion though :-)

Cheers
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I think i've got a 51cm one, I'm 6' tall, have about 8" of post showing and 1" of spacers with a 90mm stem IIRC. Really agile and fun
  • I have a 54cm Pompino Pro, drops, 110mm stem, am 5ft 11ins, have just been riding on Mull all weekend with it, fits very well, but purely road bike so *rse in the air and knees over the midline of pedal when it is 90deg to vertical. Cracking bike.

At the end of the day whichever you buy will be adjustable with stem and saddle position, depends on what you prefer in terms of agility(smaller frame) and comfort / cruisability (larger frame)?
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • explosifpete
    Does any one know what the center to top of seat tube lenght is on both model as I ws gonn match it up to my current cx bike.
    also any pomp photos would be nice :D
  • demmerson
    demmerson Posts: 91
    Does any one know what the center to top of seat tube lenght is on both model as I ws gonn match it up to my current cx bike.
    also any pomp photos would be nice :D
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=591
  • explosifpete
    just got back on my first ride on the new pompino and I think I went for the right size.
    I got a large in the end and apart from being a bit long (it is an on-one) it is perfect for cx riding, love it
  • The other thing to consider is the height of the bottom bracket. That was the biggest surprise for me my Pearson. On the 56 (my normal size on countless roadies) I had to put the seatpost up so high to get comfortable leverage on the pedals that I felt my ar*e was stuck up in the air while my nose was on the front wheel (the other alternative was to stack the steerer tube with spacers but I didn't fancy that). Went for a 58 with a short stem in the end: fits perfectly...