Orange Patriot Rear Suspension upgrade headache !!! Help!!!!

Robo1977
Robo1977 Posts: 7
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I'm wanting to upgrade my old Fox Coil Spring Shock on my 1999 Patriot Frame, think it's a 99 but not sure so help in ageing it would be helpful too !!
I've been updateing it with Hope Disk Brakes / Revelation U Turn Forks and Mavic 729 Disk specific Rims as I love the Frame.
I think it has 5inches of rear travel but not sure , anyone know ?
The eye to eye is 190mm what stroke lenght would I need ? I'm thinking 50mm??
Air or Coil is my problem either thinking a RockShox 4.2 Monarch / Fox RP23 (Air or a Fox Van R (Coil) or open to suggestions. What is best Air or Coil ????

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    measure the existing shock as that is the dimensions you need to get.

i2i and stroke.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Robo1977
    Robo1977 Posts: 7
    How do I measure the stroke mate ?
  • mw86
    mw86 Posts: 13
    the stroke would be the length of the shaft, but the eye to eye length would determine the size shock you need.

i run air because im only 180lbs or so and air shocks are just fine, lighter weight.
    i was told to stay away from coil unless i gain a few pounds and start doing knarly DH.

i went for a new marzocchi roco air tst r, loads of tunability, and with big bump capability.

also when you change your shock find out if the eyes internal diameter is that same as the your old or you'll need a new fitting kit.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Robo1977 wrote:
    How do I measure the stroke mate ?

Take the spring off your old shock.

Measure the eye to eye distance fully extended, then fully compressed. Subtract the latter from the former and that's your stroke length.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic