1" threadless

desweller
desweller Posts: 5,175
edited May 2009 in The workshop
Hi guys,

I'm sourcing some bits to build a bike up for my mother to ride to work on. I picked up a cheap and cheerful ladies frame; only (slight) problem is that it's for a 1" headset.

Ideally I'd like to avoid using a threaded headset as I always find I overload the bearing and damage the races (yeah, yeah, perhaps I should just learn not to be so heavy handed).

While I can find plenty of threadless 1" forks and 1" aheadsets, they all seem to be for calliper-type brakes, but I want to use V-brakes on this bike. Does anyone know if there is a 1" threadless steel fork out there with V-brake bosses?

The wheel size is 700C, and I want to be able to use fairly wide tyres - hybrid territory.

Thanks all,

Des
- - - - - - - - - -
On Strava.{/url}

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Try Ebay or if all else fails you could contact a framebuilder. Some may already stock the fork you need and may not charge too much. I know Bob Jackson Cycles in Leeds likes to use 1" steerers for some of their off the peg frames.
  • desweller
    Cheers CC, I'll have a look around for some 'builders.

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DesWeller wrote:
    Hi guys,

I'm sourcing some bits to build a bike up for my mother to ride to work on. I picked up a cheap and cheerful ladies frame; only (slight) problem is that it's for a 1" headset.

Ideally I'd like to avoid using a threaded headset as I always find I overload the bearing and damage the races (yeah, yeah, perhaps I should just learn not to be so heavy handed).

While I can find plenty of threadless 1" forks and 1" aheadsets, they all seem to be for calliper-type brakes, but I want to use V-brakes on this bike. Does anyone know if there is a 1" threadless steel fork out there with V-brake bosses?

The wheel size is 700C, and I want to be able to use fairly wide tyres - hybrid territory.

Thanks all,

Des

If you have trouble finding threadless forks you could buy threaded 1" forks and fit a threadless adapter.

this sort of thing http://www.petracycles.co.uk/stem-conve ... 11061.html
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • desweller
    Thanks ITB,

Would that not still require me to set the bearing preload using the headset nut & locknut arrangement?

Cheers,

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DesWeller wrote:
    Thanks ITB,

Would that not still require me to set the bearing preload using the headset nut & locknut arrangement?

Cheers,

Des

It would but it's a little easier, I often mess up my threaded set ups.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    1" threadless headset? Ask and you shall receive. BBB Turnaround
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Forks are more problematic. These are nice but will probably be a bit over the top. I run a 25mm tyre through mine, you should get a 28mm but it will be a squeeze with mudguards
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • desweller
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Like I say, my problem is not finding a fork with 1" threadless steerer, or a threadless 1" headset, but finding a v-brake compatible fork with a 1" threadless steerer. It's not a biggy though, I can always use a threaded steerer if there's nothing out there, I just have a tendency to damage the bearing races by overtightening :oops:

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MacBludgeon
    MacBludgeon Posts: 101
    Des, I had similar issue and found that you can buy the Surly Crosscheck forks in a 1" threadless version, these have all the mounts and clearance you could need. I paid £70 at Billy's, I already have a Crosscheck bike and it has V brakes fitted:-

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... po82cosov2

oh yeah, I also got the BBB 1" headset from Dotbike, came highly recommended. I have some other BBB stuff and it's been good so far, over 1K miles.
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    1" threadless headsets and threaded these guys can get - I've got a blue one, very nice!

Roadace