Campy advise needed

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
I'm switching my current Shimano/Campy mixed set up on my CX bike to full Campy however I'm new to the Campagnolo world and have no idea if you can mix and match 9/10 speed components as per Shimano, so can I use 10 speed mechs with 9 speed shifters? and what are these race & comp mechs, which groupset do they belong to?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Race and Comp are for the triple groupsets.

10speed mechs should be fine
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • itboffin
    Race and Comp are for the triple groupsets.

10speed mechs should be fine

Thanks

one last question, is there a great deal of difference between Mirage & Veloce is it similar to the 105 / Ultegra range?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Mirage is a little plasticy to be honest but not bad kit.
    I would put Veloce on par with 105 and Centaur along side Ultegra.
    Veloce has all metal gear levers for for the upshifts.
    I found the Mirage plastic ones flexed a little and changed to Centaur not long after, which gave a better shift.
  • itboffin
    Veloce it is then, i'm dabbling with the dark side :wink:
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Campagnolo 9 and 10 speed are intercompatible past 2000. Before that, the mechs were a slightly different design and they won't work perfectly with newer 9/10 speed stuff. The cassettes/chains/cranks/hubs are all fine. Just remember that if you have 10 speed shifters, you need a 10 speed cassette and chain. 08 Campag was a little different, but still played nice. The cool thing was that Mirage had metal lever blades in that year. Mirage is fine for cross bike atmo. I'm running it. Spend the money on tubs instead of components :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A 9 speed shifter will work OK with a 10 speed rear mech IME, but if you're buying new , why bother?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    He's already got the shifters.