What you've learnt from cycling

Comments

• Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The P****ure F**ry visits when there is just enough time for a run out before it gets too late. :x :x
    The older I get the faster I was
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    1. How much useless yellow paint is used on UK roads.

2. The prevailing wind direction is where you're heading to not where you've come from.

3. Endorphins work!
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Women drivers can't make their frigging mind up :!:
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Most UK roads are just slightly too narrow to comfortably accomodate 2 cars and 1 cyclist.

Every time you pass a cyclist and don't acknowledge them a new thread on bikeradar is created.

Telling mates not to bother waiting if you get dropped means they always do the opposite.
  • kaimag11
    kaimag11 Posts: 31
    I've learn to hate cars. Sad but true!
  • 1. Hills add "interest" to cycling
    2. When a fellow cyclist describes a trainning ride as "a bit lumpy", bring crampons.
    Andrew Granger
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Lycra can be worn with great success by anyone...

fatguyinspandex.jpg

Eek!!! Just think of the shelter riding 6 inches off his back wheel though :-) Just remember not to look up at him though when you're sat on the drops!!!
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Excellent thread!

When new to riding, don't try and descend at the same speed as other riders as it will eventually lead to a crash. Take time to master the technique and acquire confidence.

Don't ride a new descent at full speed. Check first as there are likely to be potholes, bad surfaces in patches and occasionally speed bumps (even in the countryside!)

Don't look on hills negatively, a postive mindset when tackling a climb gives you 20 more watts.

If you get a run of punctures and know you have removed the cause each time then it is time for some new tyres.

Flash bikes and gear should have a rider to match.

Wear more rather than less as the cold definitely lowers your performance

It is often harder to ride slower than to ride faster

'Don't buy upgrade, ride up grades' - Merckx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011

riders who say "all the gear, no idea" are just jealous.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    never be the only first aider in a cycling group of Navy men who have a habbit of falling off.

Don't be the only female in a cycling team of Navy boys!

The wind will always be in your face (no matter what kind of wind! :roll: )

On a cycle path there will always be a pedestrian walking on it next to the empty pedestrain walk way.

Someone will always make a 'oh look it's Lance Arnstrong' crack when you walk into work after cycling in.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    a_n_t wrote:

Unless you actually have no idea - and are stupidly spending excessive amounts of money on upgrades with advantages over cheaper alternatives so undetectable that only pros would be able to tell the difference. I know some people like this and they claim that they feel faster after buying silly things like gold-plated chains, aero-forks and carbon bottle cages... When it's probably because they've only been cycling for 4 months and are experiencing the big gain in fitness you get when you first start. :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bhima wrote;
    Unless you actually have no idea - and are stupidly spending excessive amounts of money on upgrades with advantages over cheaper alternatives so undetectable that only pros would be able to tell the difference. I know some people like this and they claim that they feel faster after buying silly things like gold-plated chains, aero-forks and carbon bottle cages... When it's probably because they've only been cycling for 4 months and are experiencing the big gain in fitness you get when you first start.

If its their money and they want to buy it, what is the problem? It isn't jealousy is it?
  • Bhima
    Hmmm.... I'm just really picky about spending money, unless I know it'll help my performance! :P :lol:

...when my neighbour spends £100s on components, it just seems daft because he doesn't know why the components are better, he just insists on having the best bike! :? Some people really don't have any idea what they're doing!
  • frenchfighter
    For the definitive answer on this point, note the opinion of the greatest racer ever: 'Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades' - Merckx

Can we get back on track now, as this was a vey good thread with a list rather than comments.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Can we get back on track now, as this was a vey good thread with a list rather than comments.

you are aware this is a discussion forum, right?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Bhima wrote:
    Some people really don't have any idea what they're doing!

Bhima wrote:
    he just insists on having the best bike!

seems like thats the idea then?

Are you not allowed a £4000 bike if you cant do a sub-hour 25? [for example]
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Bhima wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

Unless you actually have no idea - and are stupidly spending excessive amounts of money on upgrades with advantages over cheaper alternatives so undetectable that only pros would be able to tell the difference. I know some people like this and they claim that they feel faster after buying silly things like gold-plated chains, aero-forks and carbon bottle cages... When it's probably because they've only been cycling for 4 months and are experiencing the big gain in fitness you get when you first start. :roll:

Who cares. If they can afford a nice bike and it encourages them to get out and ride I don't see an issue.

At the end of the day when you're all on the line no one cares what bike your on, they're all too busy looking for the lads with the good legs!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Tram lines are best approached with extreme caution.

Falling off when skidding on wet tram lines takes most of the skin off the arm on which you fall.

When you come home covered in blood after skidding on wet tram lines you don't get enough sympathy.

Dettol stings.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Whatever you are riding, whatever you are wearing, whoever you are with, wherever you are, when you reach the bonk, you blame yourself.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Winning feels GOOD! (Ok, so I haven't won anything, but I did just come 2nd in a race (only my 3rd) against some bloody strong guys.

Gravel rash is GAY (the bad type of gay - not homosexual!!)

As several before me, there's always a headwind

Sometimes you can't believe how slow you are going up a slight incline, with a headwind... You all know the one!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • frenchfighter
    When you struggle to keep 16mph on a reasonable descent you know you have the bonk!

When you start getting irritated by cars and start shouting at them for being noisy you know you have got the bonk.

When you are cruising at 26mph on the flat and not even breathing you know you haven't got the bonk.

When riding in a group do not blow out your nostrils unless you are at the back or off the side. It is very unpleasant for the rider directly behind.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bhima
    When riding in a group do not blow out your nostrils unless you are at the back or off the side. It is very unpleasant for the rider directly behind.

Don't fart either - it gives a whole new meaning to the term "drafting". :? :lol:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'm rubbish at it

I don't care
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Pushing yourself really hard physically, is surprisingly mentally exhausting.

Minor injuries hurt more at the time than major injuries, but less later.

When descending, balls of steel don't make up for broken brakes... (see above)

Quiet grassy car parks make for good emergency beds.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Bhima wrote:
    Hmmm.... I'm just really picky about spending money, unless I know it'll help my performance! :P :lol:

...when my neighbour spends £100s on components, it just seems daft because he doesn't know why the components are better, he just insists on having the best bike! :? Some people really don't have any idea what they're doing!

I'm jealous of you Bhima. Surely, you can tempt him into buying upgrades that you want for yourself, then offer to buy them off him when he pointlessly upgrades (after you convinc him that the new wheels from Zipp, or bars Ritchey, or the new Dura-Ace (etc etc) is such a massive performance upgrade, that he has to get it! Now!!

Then, offer to buy the bits you wanted, for a small fee, to offset his cost. Kind chap aren't you!

:wink: :twisted:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    NGale wrote:

On a cycle path there will always be a pedestrian walking on it next to the empty pedestrain walk way.

Welcome to sunny Brighton... :roll:
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I've learnt to pronounce several words in Italian
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    pottssteve wrote:
    Dettol stings.

Learnt that one at school!

Hurdling + short girl + short legs + gravel = badly skinned knees

Dettol + school matron = :shock: :evil: :cry::(
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    I've learnt:

The slower the person mashing the big chain ring that you have just overtaken is travelling, the more likely they are to RLJ and ensure that you have to sit behind them at little more than walking pace in traffic until they finally go so slow that the laws of physics take over and they wobble off sideways, or until you can overtake them again. (and the whole thing starts again). :roll:
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I've got all the gear and no idea, but I do have love handles that act as a sail if I have a tail wind, or as air brakes into a headwind