Who's going to France this summer then?

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm going in July for a bit of cycling... Probably going to have 2 mates coming along too...

We're going to have a bit of a ride for a few days before making our way to the champs elysees on the final day of the tour... Not a serious training ride, just a bit of fun really. 8)

Anyone else doing this? Might be a bit more fun if there's a group of us sharing the work etc... :)

May do Alpe D'huez... Although there's a weird bug in google maps which says the gradient hits 200% on the hairpin bends! :shock: :lol:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I dont know if I'll do much cycling this year, someone told me I should go to france, I'd love to but I'd hate to on my own, be dangerous, maybe one day, be awesome to cycle in a different country.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    For the first time in about a decade, I am NOT going to France this year at all (between us, we went five times last year!)

Going to the Orkneys and Sweden instead.

I fear I am really going to miss the guaranteed annual one truly memorable day's riding that I always seem to have when in France. Ah! Gorges du Loup, Ventoux, the Alpe, the corniche at Biarritz, crossing the Pyrenees!

Famille Pneumatique is none too contente about it, but I just felt it was time for a change and, for once, I actually got my way!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Bhima wrote:
    ... May do Alpe D'huez... Although there's a weird bug in google maps which says the gradient hits 200% on the hairpin bends! :shock: :lol:
    Oh no, Google flu!!!

I'd love to join you, Bhima, but the credit crunch means no hols for me this year. :(
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Bhima
    willhub wrote:
    I'd love to but I'd hate to on my own, be dangerous, maybe one day, be awesome to cycle in a different country.

Well... That's why I started this thread you muppet! You wouldn't be alone! :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At the moment I cant see myself ever going to another country again, allthough it depends what opportunities crop up, the only reason I managed to go to Portugal is because my friends mum and her bf said I could come if I wanted.
  • Bhima
    You went cycling in Portugal?

Which part?
  • I'm off to the South of France in July, my first time abroad. Was looking at the area I intend visiting and saw a name that made me quiver ...... Ventoux. My knees have not stopped knocking since. Have no idea if I can make it, but I intend to give it a go, setting off very early in the morning.
    Apart from that the tour around Luberon looks good.
  • pneumatic
    I'm off to the South of France in July, my first time abroad. Was looking at the area I intend visiting and saw a name that made me quiver ...... Ventoux. My knees have not stopped knocking since. Have no idea if I can make it, but I intend to give it a go, setting off very early in the morning.
    Apart from that the tour around Luberon looks good.

I recommend the Montagne de Lure - a good warm up for the Ventoux (not as hard, by any stretch, but rewarded by great views at the top.)

As for the Giant of Provence, itself, you just have to do it. It is a challenge, but worth it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I'm in Nice right now - just arrived after a loop that included the village of Sospel to the north - and a col of just over 1,000 meters. Fantastic scenery. And it's scorching here on the Cote d'Azor. Lovely.

I'm cycling solo: How can it be dangerous? Have I missed something?
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Bhima
    cycladelic wrote:
    I think Willhub's just scared! :lol:
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    Willhub - France is much safer than the UK, IMO.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • pneumatic
    cycladelic wrote:
    I'm in Nice right now - just arrived after a loop that included the village of Sospel to the north - and a col of just over 1,000 meters. Fantastic scenery. And it's scorching here on the Cote d'Azor. Lovely.

If you have time for another day out in the mountains, I strongly recommend you head for Cagnes sur Mer, then Pont du Loup, up the gorge to Greolieres, along to the other Pont du Loup, back towards Caussols and down the col de L'Ecre to Gourdon. Visit the village (it is spectacular) and then freewheel all the way back to Nice. None of the climbing is extreme, all of the scenery is majestic, the descents are thrilling.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• This thread is great and giving me some good pointers.
    One thing - I noticed a my maps (IGN 1:100,000) that some of the roads have "tolls" marked on them or are marked "prohibited access" yet the toll roads do not seem to lead anywhere (and there are alot of them and I can't believe they are all manned) and the prohibited access roads seem to be perfect for cycling. Does prohibited access mean prohibited to motor vehicles? And what does the toll mean?
    I appreciate this is a difficult question when you don't know which ones I am on about.
  • t e charlie. i assume as it is ign, that it is a french map. not quite clear whether the word "tolls" or "péages" (the french word for toll) is written on the map. just wondering if it is a mistranslation as i've never found these on roads other than motorways. and i,ve never come across anything like that on minor roads.