29 or 26 inch wheels

jwebber86
jwebber86 Posts: 42
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting a new bike have arrowed it done to either a gary fisher HKEK or a specialized rockhopper comp. also what is the difference between 29inch wheels and 26 inch
any suggestions most welcome

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    jwebber86 wrote:
    also what is the difference between 29inch wheels and 26 inch

Generally around 75mm :lol:

You've got to try a 29er to know if you'll like it, really, they're pretty different. I had a go on a KHS Flagstaff a while ago and it was lovely, if you want something for milemunching on reasonably easy XC trails something like that would be ace, it carried speed as if it had an engine in it and it floated over bumps. But it was a bit ponderous. The word their demo guy used was mellow, and that was absolutely spot on. I don't have the budget but I'd love to have a 29er in the garage for those lazy days. But, it's definately a matter of taste.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jwebber86
    cheers ill definitely try the 29er coz i do go for long easy xc rides on forestry tracks nothing to hardcore. guna c if i can hire one from my local dealer n try it out.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Where do people get the idea you can only ride easy trails on a 29er? :? A lot of wheel strentgh comes from build and the 29er wheels are plenty strong enough for more than easy trails....
    29er takes a little more effort to get going, but once rolling along do keep momentum better, I really like mine. And have ridden it in the Peak district, N Yorks and the Dales... Good all day bike.
    3236817016_b8fc2fd828_b.jpg
    But need more up to date pics as I now run these bars...
    3404150420_6bfc67ca2d_b.jpg
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Northwind
    I didn't say that, but they're better at the lighter stuff than 26", and 26" is generally better at the rough stuff than 29", so it makes sense to play to each one's strengths.

I love your bike btw!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ratty2k
    Bit too general! :lol: As I think that (as is happening now with Lenz Behemoth) that we are seeing true AM 29er's the Niner RIP9 springs to mind as does its bigger brother the WFO.
    I think its a bit of a misconception (and I ride both wheel sizes) that 26" are better in the rough- there is a lot more choice still in 26" stuff, although the 29er parts are catching up...
    Geometry is getting tweaked still further on the big 29er's and a lot still compare favourably with normal 26" XC bikes.
    Each to their own TBH tho, I love both my bikes and will have another 29er soon Singular Swift with Alfine and fully rigid. :D
    My Pics !

• Northwind
    Yeah, but he's looking at a hkek :lol: Which is a pretty cool bike but it's no all-mountain trail slayer.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ratty2k
    :) True, but for an XC bike a its perfectly good- 'tis all my ScandAL is.... My big bike is my Reign.... And that is purely geo- much slacker than my 29er and more suited to the rocky descents in the Dark peak. But part of me wishes I'd bought a RIP9 from the get go and just had one bike. :lol:
    My Pics !

• Northwind
    Yep, certainly not knocking the hkek, tbh I'm sure I'd love it... I think more and more people are finally figuring out that 29ers are much more than a daft niche. It's a shame people go so mad with them, like "OK, if I'm going to have odd size wheels, I'll make the whole thing odd! Rigid forks! Singlespeed! Let's throw the whole box of odd at it and just ride whatever sticks."
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't forget the 27.5er, 32er and the utterly ridiculous 36er!
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    36er?? Are you serious!?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No mud clearance, fit a tyre wider than a gnat's c)ck and your feet will hit it, looks absolutely stupid, probably weighs more than my bed and yo ucan't drop the saddle.
  • jwebber86
    36er look ridiculous
    probably end up with a rockhopper as i have a local specialized dealer and the nearest gary fisher is an 1 1/2 hours drive away!
    definetely guna give the 29er a go and see how it feels. still got my customized 26 inch hardrock its just a few years old now i want a bigger frame