Do you get colds after riding?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
I'm doing research into probiotics for my degree (doing an essay) and found some info that some of you might find helpful...

Basically, high intensity exercise and endurance activities can lower your immunity.
Both natural killer cells and the cytokine IFN-γ are reduced when training, and both affect the body’s natural and adapted immunity against infections from viruses and bacteria, and also help with tumor control.

I've just been reading through a big list of peer reviewed journals, and they all say that probiotics such as lactobilli casei and lactobilli acidophilus can help maintain or increase immunity within sport.

I'm not trying to promote a product, but if your finding that you get colds or flu after long/high intensity rides, try having a Yakult post ride.

The journals are fairly conclusive in my eyes :)

B

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what sort of significance are you seeing in these papers?
  • what sort of significance are you seeing in these papers?
    that the probiotic bacteria significantly stop the reduction of natural killer cells and the cytokine IFN-γ that is usually seen in high intensity and endurance training.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hmm, interesting....

I have always ignored all the yakult type products (as we are both fit and healthy anyway i've never seen the point) but maybe they do have a place then!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I find a good ride makes me feel better if I'm feeling a bit rough.

However at the moment I am getting sinusitis after almost every surf. Most annoying and feels a bit like a nasty cold. :cry:
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    I find a good ride makes me feel better if I'm feeling a bit rough.

However at the moment I am getting sinusitis after almost every surf. Most annoying and feels a bit like a nasty cold. :cry:

Sorry to hear that matt, have you tried flushing them out with salt water? :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • The Northern Monkey
    edited April 2009
    sarah75 wrote:
    Hmm, interesting....

I have always ignored all the yakult type products (as we are both fit and healthy anyway i've never seen the point) but maybe they do have a place then!

yup, thats what I thought actually!

however the flora pro active is bifidobacteria (not lactobilli).
    I haven't been researching bifidobacteria which is why i recommended the yakult :)
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    So why would this be better than taking a prebiotic (e.g. banana) before riding?

The prebiotic would help the reproduction of the probiotic bacteria already in your body - plus might be a tad cheaper.

Tiny
  • The Northern Monkey
    edited April 2009
    So why would this be better than taking a prebiotic (e.g. banana) before riding?

The prebiotic would help the reproduction of the probiotic bacteria already in your body - plus might be a tad cheaper.

Tiny

I never said it would be better than taking a prebiotic :?
    I just said it would be beneficial, i never even mentioned prebiotics. care to read the OP again?

Anyways, prebiotics aren't directly related to immunity - whereas probiotics are.
    The main functions for prebiotics are to improve gastrointestinal health and improve calcium absorption, but as you say can help improve the effect of probiotic bacteria.

However, if you don't have enough probiotic bacteria in the 1st place (hense why people are more likely to get cold/flu) its not going to be as effective as taking the actual probiotic. Probiotics aren't naturally produced by the body yunno!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    sorry bigbenj, i meant to what sort of reduction in incidence of infection and from what sort of sample sizes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There seems to be a culture for these bacteria at the minute...
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    supersonic wrote:

Super, go to your room!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sorry, that was poor even by my standards hehe
  • supersonic wrote:
    Shocking :shock: :lol:

sorry bigbenj, i meant to what sort of reduction in incidence of infection and from what sort of sample sizes?
    Sorry mate, just went to get the GF from the bus stop :lol:
    How do you mean what sort of reduction? kinda confused, you after a % or significance value?

most of the studies have ranged from 10 to 30 subjects... however i found a reference to a meta-analysis of over 80 separate studies hat also shows the same results (i'm current;y trying to find the bugger :lol:)
  • ride_whenever
    http://hcp.yakult.co.uk/pdf/Sportsarticle2008.pdf

Just found this. Brilliant for my essay :D
  • I'm currently on these - http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/ ... togest.asp after my tests i mentioned in another thread showed a severe lack of good bacteria amongst other things. For those who dislike yoghurt tasting things, they're great!
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs