Overweight female no weight lost yet!

georgiesgirl
georgiesgirl Posts: 51
Hi :oops: :?:
Would love some serious advice. Two weeks ago I started cycling to work 14 miles each way. Cycling alternate days through the week. Burning around 1650 cal And about 45-55% of which is fat. So far much to my dismay I have lost NO weight at all. Despite burning 5164 cal first week and 6000 with additional rides this week. My ride to work takes 1hr 7 when of course there is no wind in front of me.
Please help. I do eat incredibly healthy and have even considered CLA but finance for this could be a problem also I'm yet to read the research!!
:idea: :cry:

Comments

• neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    when I started running this year I lost no weight until about 6 weeks in, keep at it and it must go.
    FCN 12
  • You are doing the right thing in exercising it will, I'm sure, make you feel fitter and also help to reduce your body fat and keep your bodies metabolic rate from slowing.
    I have some questions.
    Did you cycle regularly before you started cycling to work?
    If you did how much extra are you doing now?
    Has your food/calorie intake stayed the same or do you now consume more or less?
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Muscle weighs more than fat remember.

I just measure my waist with a tape rather than use scales.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    Nik_B wrote:
    Muscle weighs more than fat remember.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    As a rule of thumb for most people 500 calories more or less daily will gain or lose a pound in a week. So keep it up, you're on the right track. But also bear in mind that it takes at least 10 days for your body to benefit from a workout and 21 days to gain the full benefit.

That's the science bit over. I went on a diet last January to lose some excess baggage I'd put on. Lost nothing for the first few weeks, then the weight started falling off. Be sure you haven't started eating extra to compensate for the exercise (I notice this myself as I'm fairly new to MTBing). It'll take a while for the metabolism to speed up.

I lost about 11lbs myself before I got sick of dieting but was hitting the gym pretty hard at the weights at the same time so the fat loss was probably far more than that. I hope that's encouraging.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    1. 2 weeks is a little early to be showing real fat loss.

2. not sure where you got your "45-55% will be fat loss" figure from. That depends on a LOT of factors, including your fitness, your exertion levels, your hydration, etc.

3. try keeping a food diary. You may eat very healthily, but if you're eating too much then you won't lose weight. It's also possible to eat too little.

4. don't give up and keep at it.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Too little is DEFFO a possibolity.

Write down over the next 2 days EVERYTHING you eat and post them here.

It can be 'what' you eat as much as anything... some things are 'good calories' and some bad.
  • Ditch Witch
    Definitely, I have a friend that was trying to lose weight.

She was a virtual couch potato that ate junk and drank too much then started going to the gym AND severely restricted her calorie intake (particularly, carbs). She had a huge weight loss (like, 8 lbs) in the first week, then nothing for weeks and weeks after.

She wouldn't even consider that she was eating too little until we finally convinced her to eat more (including good unprocessed carbs). After another week, the weight started coming off. She's doing really well now.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • JaiRo
    JaiRo Posts: 64
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat, muscle is more dense where as fat is a very loose substance.

If youre not losing weight, its purely down to calorie consumption.

Consume less calories than you use and you will lose weight.
    Scott Aspect 40 2011
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Georgiesgirl I too am very over weight and also eat a healthy low fat diet, I too am trying to lose weight but not very succesfully. I know that my eating habits are bad in the fact that I can go all day without eating and then eat a huge meal, but I am trying to change this I am trying to eat breakfast, and also lunch when work allows also I have started to restrict portion size for my main meal and for the first 3 weeks I felt hungry in the evening, but that is now starting to stop. My GP prescribed fat loss pills and when I was asked if I had any diaoreha (?sp?) she was really suprised when I said no as it meant I was not eating any fat, I have also been diagnosed with high chloesterol and am now waiting to see a dietican so I will find out then what else I need to do. My cycling over the last few months has been non-exsistent as I lost feeling down one side of my body and it affected my balance, so now the lighter nights are here I am starting to go out more on bridle paths as my balance is not good enough to cope with the singletrack I love :cry:

I just wanted to let you know it will happen (that's what I keep telling myself) and that you are not alone :) I hope you succeed
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • fraserq
    fraserq Posts: 14
    best tip for weight loss - bin the scales. Never weigh yourself again, it just demotivates. Go on how you feel and how you look! Keep riding and get fitter. Get fitter and ride further and faster. The laws of thermodynamics state that you will loose weight - as long as your not a complete glutton!!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    little and often for food, and stick with the cycling. As others have said, don't bother with scales. Generally look at yourself to see if there is improvement and see how your clothes fit.
  • JaiRo
    JaiRo Posts: 64
    Dont bin the scaes! They essentially help you monitor your weight loss/gain.

The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning prior to consumption of food or liquids.

Do this once a week and keep a record.

You will also have to monitor your food intake, most importantly, eat the right carbs at the right time.
    Scott Aspect 40 2011
  • It may be worth paying for a body exam too, I had one done on a bio-electrical impedance machine which showed up some foods which I consumed which you might consider healthy but which were actually causing a lot of my pains. Cutting them out and taking supplements for any malnourished vitamins can make a big difference. It's not cheap but it's way better than the nhs will do for you.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    We can be pedantic over the terminology of weight but everyone knows what people mean when they use that term. Sure 1 Kg of fat does not weigh less that 1 Kg of muscle BUT 1 Cm3 of gold does weigh more that 1 cm3 of silver. The gold is denser. Two people can be the same height and the same weight but have totally different body shapes and % fat.

Weighing yourself is one way to monitor a change in diet but as a lot of us are saying if you are exercising lots you may be developing more muscle and burning off the fat. Measuring yourself is a good way to see any improvement. I changed my diet (I am not particularly overweight by the way but trying to tone up) and upped the cycling and cut out the crappy carbs (especially in the evening or sugar in tea) which aren't healthy and lost 2 inches off my belly in 2 weeks. I didn't weight my self but judged by how I looked.

The crusade continues.....
  • Ditch Witch
    It's true that muscle weighs more than fat, but it takes a huge effort and a lot of training for women to develop more muscle than the fat they've lost.

It will be purely due to a plateau caused by your metabolism slowing down.

Kick start it by eating little and often. Theory has it that it keeps your metabolism (and blood sugar) more steady.

Also, look at "calorie shifting" where you count your calories weekly, not daily, and have low calorie days and high calories days in an attempt to keep your metabolism up.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Ditch Witch
    Re: Food diaries:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 062308.php
    "Keeping a food diary doesn't have to be a formal thing. Just the act of scribbling down what you eat on a Post-It note, sending yourself e-mails tallying each meal, or sending yourself a text message will suffice. It's the process of reflecting on what you eat that helps us become aware of our habits, and hopefully change our behavior," says Keith Bachman, MD, a Weight Management Initiative member. "Every day I hear patients say they can't lose weight. This study shows that most people can lose weight if they have the right tools and support. And food journaling in conjunction with a weight management program or class is the ideal combination of tools and support."

In the study, nearly 1700 overweight adults followed a healthy eating and activity programme for 6 months and were advised to keep daily records of what and how many calories they consumed. At the end of the study the average weight loss was around 13lbs – enough to have a significant impact on people’s health and well being.

But the most important finding was that the more food records people kept, the more weight they lost. People who kept no food records lost about 9 pounds, and those who kept six or more per week lost about 20 pounds – double the amount of weight.

source: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/foodtab.htm
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • jonsawkins
    jonsawkins Posts: 10
    My body weight fluctuates massively. I go through stages of intensive training and dieting and loose up to 2 stone very quickly but as soon as i stop i tend to put it on again. The best way i have found to loose the weight is to eat 5-6 times a day with 2-400 cal per meal. For example 0700 cereal w skim milk, 1030 protein shake, 1200 chicken/tuna salad on brown roll, 1500 protein shake, 1730 main meal (usually chicken salad/stir fry) then another protein shake after training to aid recovery and muscle growth. The main thing is to limit the carbs but compensate this with an increase in protein. White bread is a no no and any large amount of carbs is generally not good as they get turned to fat if not burned off with the exercise. As for exercise a good mix of aerobic (cycling, running swimming) and weight training is best. Eg mon Gym (weights/resistance training), tues Run/Cycle, Wed Gym, Thurs Run/Cycle, Fri Gym, Sat Long Run Cycle. The sessions in the gym need only take 60-90 mins max and should be intensive with very short breaks between exercises. I seem to naturally gravitate towards a heavier weight of around 15.5 stone and a 38" waist, but drop to 34" and 13.5 stone when i train over a period of around 2-3 months. But this is very hard work and as soon as i stop doing this level of exercise and style of eating i slowly revert back to what seems to be my natural weight. At 13.5 st i have a very low fat levels yet due to the dodgy system in the BMI are classed as borderline obese(lol - you can pretty much see the muscle fibers). Hope some of that helps. In essence try to eat around 1500 cal per day spread over the 5-6 meals and do intensive exercise at least 3 times a week. The weight will come off it just takes a little time.. Radical changes in diet and exercise can often show big weight loss results but then plateau as your body adjusts, by keep making changes to the routines and types of exercise as well as your diet it will maintain this weight loss boost. Jon
  • Ditch Witch
    Anything will get turned to fat if not burned off with exercise. Carbs aren't special in that way.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • jonsawkins
    Actually excess protein is expelled in urine but the main thing with carbs is they are generally slow release energy and have a lot of energy (calories) stored within them. Whilst this is really good for long distance endurance, its not great for weight loss. It also depends on the type of carbs - complex or simple. Its not all a matter of what gets converted to fat it a matter of how easy it is to burn off the energy these give. Generally reducing carbs but compensating with an increase in protein does work and is well documented but must be supported by a healthy diet and lots of exercise. Keep away from anything with white flour, white bread etc. Brown bread is better but should only be eaten in small quantities.

I have found a really good resource for nutrition and training and weightloss is http://www.maximuscle.com This has loads of useful info, some wont be relevant as there is a lot based on muscle building but there is lots of information about diet nutrition and training including some female specific gym routines. Just ignore all the bumpf about their products and advertising and the advice is generally really good.

Im not saying that this is the miracle weight loss program but it has worked for me. Once you reach your target weight just change the nutrition to a maintenance plan instead of weight loss and it can be maintained. Dont do what i have in the past and just go back to eating like before (I just like curry and stodge - lol).

Again not meaning to offend or put anyone back up as i seem to have just offering advice as to what has worked for me and people i have trained with.

Jon
  • Ditch Witch
    Let me put it this way:

There is "evidence" to support what you say, and there is also "evidence" that contradicts it.

I can find a website that debunks the "carbs make you fat" theory for every single one that someone finds that supports it.

That's all I'm saying.

Carbs are not the enemy. Fat and sugar laden processed foods are. Artificial sweeteners are. HFCS is. People would do much better dropping that crap from their diet before restricting "carbs", particularly people expening as much energy as MTBers.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Carbs are not the enemy. Fat and sugar laden processed foods are. Artificial sweeteners are.

Noooooooooooooo, don't take away my Splendaaaaaaaaaa! :cry:
  • jonsawkins
    edited May 2009
    Getting rid of all that shite is a given. Who really thinks that eating processed junk is going to do anything but put weight on.

Like i said i am just passing on advice which has worked for me and my friends. That website was not just me trying to backup my argument its really is a good source of dietary and nutritional information as well as exercise regimes.

There is always debate on the subject of carbs as here and as you said for every expert saying reduce them theres one saying don't. Obviously i have upset at least one person with my advise so i wont continue to give it but all i can say is it does work - I know from personal experience but it doesn't suit everyone. The main thing is to eat healthily with portion control and plenty of exercise. If you burn more calories than you eat you will loose weight, Simple.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Two weeks of riding isn't nearly enough to lose any appreciable amount of weight.

i do quite a lot of cycle touring - riding maybe 6 hours a day. I'm often quite fat starting out, then nothing happens until maybe the 3 week mark - then suddenly it drops off. I'm sure there is a physiological reason for it, but basically the body is deciding to withdraw energy from fat reserves, so there is quite a dramatic change in terms of waist size - (not so much on weight, as I find that I build up muscle too).

It is possible to be a high mileage rider and still be overweight. This can be down to one of two things - bad diet, or lack of intensity in your riding (you'd be surprised how little you burn off if you are not riding at a fairly good rate). If you still don't lose weight after, say, 2 months of this riding, then one of those two is the reason.

The basic rule for getting fit and healthy would be:

1. Eat plants. Lots of them. Eat little and often, and make sure you have a good breakfast (preferably oatmeal).

2. Keep riding, and keep a reasonable pace (either a strong steady pace, or mix it up with the odd little sprint). If you find yourself getting bored or frustrated with riding, find something else you enjoy as a balance.

3. Don't panic too much over it! Getting fit and healthy takes time. Better do it slow and steady than do a crash weight loss program that you can't keep up.
  • Ditch Witch
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Carbs are not the enemy. Fat and sugar laden processed foods are. Artificial sweeteners are.

Noooooooooooooo, don't take away my Splendaaaaaaaaaa! :cry:

Splenda is one of the worst offenders, I'm afraid. Artificial sweeteners are looking more and more like they cause weight gain. Something to do with the brain registering "sweet", but finding a calorie deficit when balancing the books, so craving more "sweet".
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Ditch Witch
    jonsawkins wrote:
    Getting rid of all that shite is a given. Who really thinks that eating processed junk is going to do anything but put weight on.

Like i said i am just passing on advice which has worked for me and my friends. That website was not just me trying to backup my argument its really is a good source of dietary and nutritional information as well as exercise regimes.

There is always debate on the subject of carbs as here and as you said for every expert saying reduce them theres one saying don't. Obviously i have upset at least one person with my advise so i wont continue to give it but all i can say is it does work - I know from personal experience but it doesn't suit everyone. The main thing is to eat healthily with portion control and plenty of exercise. If you burn more calories than you eat you will loose weight, Simple.

Who have you upset? I must have missed that :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • gettricky
    gettricky Posts: 103
    Small distinction, but what you want to do is reduce your body fat percentage, not nec. loose weight (although you might do both).

I put on weight a few years back from drinking all the time and eating bad food. I lost it by doing a mixture of exercise and eating the right diet. I got one of those scales which can measure your bodyfat and BMI etc, then you can get an accurate understanding of how your regime is affecting your body. I.e. measuring your weight alone is not enough and most likely demoralise you. If you can see your body fat percentage coming down you know what you're doing is having an impact.

Building up muscle will help reduce your bodyfat, as muscle uses lots of calories, especially repairing muscle. Mountian biking will be good for this because you use so many muscle groups.

Try to eat more protien and reduce your carbs. Obviously avoid stuff with refined sugar as much as possible. Try to eat regularly and smaller amounts.
    ---

Pitch Pro 2009
  • Ditch Witch
    Re: excess protein being expelled in the urine. Some does, yes, but not all. Even protein turns to fat.

http://1stholistic.com/Nutrition/hol_nu ... to-fat.htm

and another

http://www.dietitian.com/protein.html

Does anyone else get annoyed with so many conflicting theories? I mean, how hard is it to come up with a single "truth"? :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    I'm not really going to get caught up in the technical carbs vs protein argument, save to say I find that having a decent amount of protein seems to help manage my hunger better and likewise I avoid high GI foods for the same reason.

One thing I have noticed is your estimates of calories burned seem a bit optimistic. If you are doing your commute in just over an hour and doing 6 hours per week (alternate days, there & back) I'd be surprised if you are really burning over 5200 calories in that 6 - 7 hours of riding unless you are riding at a high intensity (when the ratio of fat to carbs being used reduces). Without knowing how hilly your ride is, a rate of 750 cals/hour seems high for a 13 mph pace.

One thing that does seem to work for me is to do my morning commute (also 14 miles) without eating, then again it may be purely psychological

I just think you need to be more reailistic about just how hard you have to ride and how many miles you need to pedal to drop weight through cycling. Don't get me wrong I think that if you stick at it and try to increase the intensity and/or mileage you'll lose weight, just don't expect it to come crashing off, it doesnt seem to work like that.

I've lost about 2 stone over the last 15 months, but it has dropped off steadily, never lost more than 2 lbs in a week and that was usually on the back of a lot of riding.

Stick at it and best of luck
  • Ditch Witch
    Protein definitely seems to control hunger.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk