Summer drinks - this Saturday! See first page for details.

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Now, as per the other SCR summer thread, the cunning plan is to have some drinks somewhere in Richmond, thereby giving people access to what is arguably the only pleasant place to ride in London.

It seems that the preferred month for this is July, so I've put up the viable dates. You'll notice that they are all weekends, I'd envisaged an afternoon thing.

You'll also notice some are missing - namely the 19th, 25th and 26th of July. These are the ones I can't do. Seeing as I'm planning, seems only fair that I can come along!

EDIT:

This was the best way I could think of to do this. Am open to ideas...

Also, if you can do any of these dates, rather like me, then pop that in a message...

ANOTHER EDIT:

The drinks are on the 18th of July, meeting midday at the coffee shop in Richmond Park, for a few laps. We'll set off at 1215, so if you miss us at the coffee shop look for a group 'not racing' and tag on for the second lap, or see if you can catch us up!

I reckon 1330/1400 at the Roebuck will be about right, and I'll aim to be there by 1330, so look for a girl in lycra with very long hair if you haven't been to one of these before. To guarantee you're not waiting by yourself shoot for 1400. Mine's a lager. :)

The Coffee Shop is in the north-eastern corner of Richmond Park, adjacent to Roehampton Gate car-park.

Google Maps Roebuck Location

There is loads of space to drink outdoors and take in the view (of the weirdos in lycra or the lovely landscape), as well as loads of railing space to lock bikes to. I'd bring a lock, but then I'm paranoid... you may not be.

Comments

• hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Put my tuppence in, would be up for 4th best as trains back on the Sunday are a bit sparce. But any Saturday is generally good I'm sure.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Saturdays could be better for those people travelling by PT. However some may have things on the first two Saturdays - e.g. the 4th is the 3rd Lions Test v the Saffers and the 11th is Jools Holland at Kew Gardens.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Any sat/sun combo is good for me, could you add "i'd crawl over broken glass at the prospect of booze on the other side" option :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I don't know what I'm doing in two weeks time, let alone two months. My vote is cast for 'all of the above'.
  • At the moment can do all bar the 18th

Appreciate it's a critical mass thing so if it is the 18th, enjoy........

voted 12th - Sunday

DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Since we're only able to have one vote, is it worth sending LiT a PM with all the date we can do, then she can do a head count?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Tables are all the rage ATM

name......month.....dates
    itboffin.....any.........sat/sun

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I don't know what I'm doing in two weeks time, let alone two months. My vote is cast for 'all of the above'.

You haven't seen my GF in action - I'm fully organised up to skiing Easter 2010 :? Any time after then is clear...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The weekend on 11/12th is out for me but other than that I can come and se LiTs new toy on any of the other options.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Voted for the 18th, but happy with any of the options, subject to the whims of South West Trains' engineering schedule (nothing planned for the previous two weekends on the Portsmouth line, that week's not mentioned yet).

Oh yes: On the subject of any competition round RP: hands off the wooden spoon, it's mine :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What is this summer drinks, does it involve cycling?Can anyone come or is it just for sc`s?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    antfly wrote:
    What is this summer drinks, does it involve cycling?Can anyone come or is it just for sc`s?

We welcome outsiders too, just don't expect to ride faster than/scalp LiTs and her new bike or else.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lost_in_thought
    Yep, all and sundry are more than welcome.
  • antfly
    So what goes on,drinks and cycling?How far do you go? {double entendre unintended}
  • lost_in_thought
    Mostly just drinks, tbh. But this is the reason for the proposed venue - RP is a good place for cycling!
  • antfly
    Right,so does everyone come on a bike or is this the first such event?
  • lost_in_thought
    Second - first one was curry and beers at xmas, most people came by bike. We also have regular london beers at the morpeth arms on Millbank...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I voted for the 18th as by then it will be so near the end of term I will be in serious "wind-down" mode.....

Having done that, however, I believe I am free for most of July. And August. Yep, not a scrap fo work to do for a whole month. Every year........

:D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    linsen wrote:
    I voted for the 18th as by then it will be so near the end of term I will be in serious "wind-down" mode.....

Having done that, however, I believe I am free for most of July. And August. Yep, not a scrap fo work to do for a whole month. Every year........

:evil:
  • cjcp
    linsen wrote:
    I believe I am free for most of July. And August. Yep, not a scrap fo work to do for a whole month. Every year........

Do you work with Greg66 then? :twisted: :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    4-5th for me. Looks like I am in the minority though - am in Kenya in mid-july. :cry:
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Yep, all and sundry are more than welcome.

Whooohhhooooo I'm a sundry!
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • linsen
    linsen wrote:

yes yes I see your anger, Let it out.

And when you have done that, walk a mile in my shoes :wink:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    I believe I am free for most of July. And August. Yep, not a scrap fo work to do for a whole month. Every year........

Do you work with Greg66 then? :twisted: :P

Can't do she only said she doesn't work for a whole month, not a whole year!

I'm pretty open on this so haven't voted..........no plans as far as I'm aware as July is actually one of the few months we don't have a birthday (at least in my immediate family.......)

Was trying to persuade the wife to come along with the kids (in an effort to get the day pass) but she didn't seem to enthusiastic, any other attendees planning on bringing partner and/or kids?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm not going to vote because I'm flexible and don't have to make any major travel plans to go on any of the dates.

If its my God-daughter's birthday party then please accept my apologies.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    linsen wrote:
    linsen wrote:

yes yes I see your anger, Let it out.

And when you have done that, walk a mile in my shoes :wink:

But then I'll be a mile away from you, with your shoes. Barefoot walk homr for Linsen.

Anyway, I don't walk, I cycle.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I like beer

I'm assuming some sort of picnic?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I'm racing most weekends until September now, but will try and free some space once you've fixed a date. Would be great to see you all again :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    Jen J!

Welcome home ;-)
  • cjcp
    Jen J wrote:
    I'm racing most weekends

And all weekend knowing the stuff you do! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."