Gym workouts

Vino2007
Vino2007 Posts: 340
I head to the gym 3 times a week and now that im fully focused on bike racing. is there any harm in performing the 1.Bicep curl 2. Tricep pull 3.Shoulder press 4.Pec deck for example, or will this have a negative effect on my racing? :D

Comments

• Vino2007 wrote:
    I head to the gym 3 times a week and now that im fully focused on bike racing. is there any harm in performing the 1.Bicep curl 2. Tricep pull 3.Shoulder press 4.Pec deck for example, or will this have a negative effect on my racing? :D
    What sort of racing?
    MTB, track sprint, BMX probably not as the additional upper body leverage can at times be helpful. Other than that, then it'll just add more mass to lug up hills and slow you down.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    cheers for quick reply, it's road racing which i do,i guess i'll have to just focus on my core more instead!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    There was a discussion about this recently: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12617599

As Alex said, any muscle mass gained will make hills that little bit harder - if you look at the pros, they are usually really skinny in the arm/chest area and I think that's the reason why.

I do those sorts of workouts though because my arms are weak! The extra training helps me when climbing off-the-saddle but I'm sure there's a point which you get to where the extra muscle mass is more of a disadvantage than an advantage. So knowing when to stop is something i'm constantly reviewing...
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    How do your arms help you when climbing out of the saddle? It's your legs doing the work man :D
  • Bhima
    I mean - there's a big difference with holding the handlebars/keeping the bike steady. Especially at 6/7mph on the steeper gradients. I used to have weak arms though, as I said. Once you start getting your arms really built up, I'm skeptical to the advantages that this has.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Ummm... Wouldn't riding up a hill out of the saddle kind of provide a really good specific workout for riding up hills out of the saddle? :)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Bhima
    Yes.

But I just used the weights like a "top-up" because I was eager to stop the wobbling about as soon as possible!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Fair does... Was only asking as I cannot abide the gym. I remember when I started cycling at 18 my ams would shake for ages after gurning up Honister pass... in a 39x23 cos I didn't know you could get other gears.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent