which cycle computer

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
looking for a decent cycle computer

would ideally like one that could say record trips and save them so i can download onto pc or just add when i like. hate getting to work and inputting figures into mobile to record later

yes im a geek and like all my trips recorded

hrm not essential as i have a watch for that and cadence not overly important but would be nice. are there any that do gradient or is that just wishful thinking

not too bothered if its wired but prefer wireless for tidyness

price around £50 but may stretch for the right one. any recomendations??

Also would like white to match my bike, god im turning into a tart

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    My guess is that you'll at very minimum need something like a Garmin 305 (?) if you want the ability to log.

You could get away with a Garmin Forerunner 50 watch paired up with the speed/cadence sensor - this works nicely although you don't have the position logging of the 305 and upward.

Polar also do something similar to the Forerunner 50, and they probably also have a decent bike specific model that logs data too - there is probably a bunch more options, this is what springs to mind.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Pro Scio computers come in silver and do barometric gradient. Which is pretty hopess to be honest. Good for the Mortirolo or Gavia maybe, but lung busting northern European climbs, hardly worth it. Wireless as well.

VDO are reputed to make good altitude measuring computers as well. They have to be better than my Pro Scio, which stopped measuring altitude after a month.

Nothing in that price range will download, I don't think.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i have a garmin 205 available for £50, second hand but in great condition. PM if you are interested.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Thinking outside the box here - what about, get a cheaper computer, and use a mobile phone with gps such as the Nokias that can use Nokia Sportstracker.

The latest models also include a Polar HR strap.

My phone (Nokia n82) was free on a £23/month contract from Orange. Sportstracker software is free.

The phone is also good as a sat nav with the included Nokia Maps (it was great on holiday last week to find my various hotels). (you pay about £50 for 2 years of Nokia maps, but there are some free alternatives, though it is great software, and it is possible to buy short term licences for if you travel, so I got Italy for 1 month for £6).

I have a VDO wireless comp on my bars and keep the phone in my jersey pocket. It runs for about 4 hrs using the gps, which I extend with a small external battery pack if necessary.

The "workouts" are uploaded to the Sportstracker web site either using the phone network of my home wi fi when I return.

It also uploads any photos you take with the phone and places them in the appropriate place on the map.

Sportstracker routes can be downloaded and converted then uploaded to other web sites like bikehike, bikely, mapmyride etc.

Here is a ride I did last week on holiday in Tuscany (Click here) (click on the altitude box to display the altitude profile).

(Note: my extremely slow average speed was because I was riding with my newbie cyclist g/f and 2000ft hills were fairly challenging for her - that's my excuse, anyway!).

Anyway, I love Sportstracker - and the fact it is free!

A word about VDO - my 8 year old analogue wireless VDO packed up, I sent it back to the factory in Germany on the off chance that they could repair or sell a replacement part. They sent me back a brand new digital model free of charge the following week, apologising profusely that my model was now obsolete! What a company!!! :lol:
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    @alfablue:

Where do you attach your phone? I've thought about using my N95, but I think you have to have the numberpad pointed at the sky for GPS to work, so I'm afraid of rain/getting it nicked/it falling off the bike.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • alfablue
    My n82 works fin in my back jersey pocket, or my chest pocket on my jacket if wearing it, (or virtually anywhere else on me), I think the earlier n95's had poorer gps reception, and the receiver was placed at the bottom of the phone. You could use it with an external bluetooth gps receiver though, then it would work wherever you kept it. , but maybe just get a new phone (personally I am not keen on the chunky n95 or the ergonomics of a slider).

I could get a bar mount for the phone but I think that is too risky, the pocket position works just fine.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Thanks. I'll look into an external GPS, I think. If they're pretty cheap I might might bite the bullet.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • alfablue
    An advantage with an external gps is that you can get maybe 20+ hours battery life, whilst if the gps on the n95 is switched off, battery life should be longer there too.

Also, should you wish, Tom Tom will work with an external gps on the n95 (but not the internal without a hack).
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    thanks for the replies

looks like for my budget might have to forget about the different times being recorded

been looking at the cateye strada, looks good for the price and got good reviews, also its in white to match my bike :D