In a gym leg curls for Hamstrings

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
All physio's wow at how tight my hamstrings are - I have developed a pain at the top of my leg (after cycling) - which is apparent caused by tight hamstrings.

I do the traditional stretches - with little effect - I have acces to a gym - and a machine where I lie on my stomach - and raise my feet upwards - with a weight for resistance (hope you know what I mean!) - does anyone know if this is of benefit for tight hamstrings ....or could it make things worse !?

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    edited April 2009
    Resistance machines are designed to increase muscle and/or strength, which doesn't seem to be your issue.

I think what you really need are developmental stretches. I have been told that the MINIMUM length of time to hold a stretch for is 30 seconds. Longer is better. After a ride, I do a minimum of 4 x 1minute strecthes per hamstring.

What is your stretching routing like?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Thing I have to go somewhere to stretch - I can't just do it at home - i do it a bit , then forget, don't bother,

at the moment I stretch post ride, and go to pilates once a week !
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Thing I have to go somewhere to stretch - I can't just do it at home

Maybe you could adjust the type of stretch. The attached link has 4 different hamstring strecthes, including 2 done standing: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/flexibilityexercises/a/hamstingstretch.htm

Could you do those at home?
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Deffo stretches, deffo 30 seconds.

And where's your discipline, man! Do them at home!!! (Only joking - it's very easy to lose the routine if you're not at the gym - I know this!).
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Sometimes I stay in a stretchedposition for 20 minutes while watching TV - it's really beneficial. Feels 1000x better than a 2 minute stretch... Try it!
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Cool! That sounds like a great idea. You are a god :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08