Tour of Romandie - SPOILER

2»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Roman Kreuziger's form is impressive, which makes me think Liquigas wasted an opportunity by not giving him Bennati's Giro spot.
    I'm still not sure what their Tour game plan is, with both him and Nibali chasing the Maillot Blanc. :?
    He's still quite young, doing two Grand Tours in one year wouldn't be smart, and he clearly built his season around the Tour de France. So in my opinion not an opportunity wasted but good long-term thinking.
    The Maillot Blanc will be incredibly competitive this year with Andy Schleck and Gesink also in for it...
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    FJS wrote:
    that feed is late; it's already over... nice result for ptp :wink:
    Phew! Last minute change of PTP pick from Cav to Freire after I looked at the profile more closely - it's so tiny on the Romandie website that you can't make the figures out but there were some serious climbs on the stage yesterday.

Harmon was talking about Kreuzinger "not being hungry enough" during Amstel coverage because he comes from a wealthy family and hence he's never really achieved to his potential. I'm not sure that view of "it's either race a bike or work in a factory the rest of your life" still applies now............although maybe more so in the current economic climate than 2 years ago.

I certainly think Kreuzinger is going to go all out to win this race after his 2nd last year though..........wish I'd picked him for PTP instead of Evans. :x
  • FJS
    Bronzie wrote:
    Phew! Last minute change of PTP pick from Cav to Freire after I looked at the profile more closely - it's so tiny on the Romandie website that you can't make the figures out but there were some serious climbs on the stage yesterday.
    if you click on the profile it gives you a larger pdf version, and with the distances and elevation numbers you can even get an idea of the steepness.
    Bronzie wrote:
    Harmon was talking about Kreuzinger "not being hungry enough" during Amstel coverage because he comes from a wealthy family and hence he's never really achieved to his potential. I'm not sure that view of "it's either race a bike or work in a factory the rest of your life" still applies now............although maybe more so in the current economic climate than 2 years ago.
    That's really old-fashioned reasoning...and has been around since, well, forever. I remember Erik Breukink getting that argument all the time, he was the son of a CEO, and more recently Linus Gerdemann.
    Bronzie wrote:
    I certainly think Kreuzinger is going to go all out to win this race after his 2nd last year though..........wish I'd picked him for PTP instead of Evans. :x
    It'll all depend on today
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    What do people think of the Silence tactics yesterday? Was Gilbert and Evans' move likely to work? Or was it a silly move that will have tired them out a bit for today? From what i could see a couple of Rabobankers were struggling off the back so maybe they thought that Rabobank would wait for their team-mates to get back on before chasing.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't think Gilbert does tactics, he just goes for it. Nice to see Evans throw caution to the wind but perhaps the presence of Evans was too much for the other GC contenders.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Bronzie wrote:

Seems a little unfair to be criticising Kreuziger as he's only 22 but managed won the tour of switzerland last year

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/ju ... /suisse088

Maybe he's more of a GT rider than a classics man?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    So you agree your comment didn't make sense as you didn't defend it.

If you are referring to Bennati not being at the Giro because of his injury then obviously it should be clear that I think there is a possibility that he could still make it.

Going back to my original remark.
    I made it because: a) Bennati is out, injured b) Liquigas have already announced their Giro team.
    IMO, it's not very strong. FP will be riding for himself and were anying to happen to Sylvester S, then Basso's mountain domestiques look thin on the ground.

I thought Nibabli might have got Bennati's slot, rather than Kreuziger, as both are showing roughly the same form.

Good that an Italian team doesn't put all it's eggs in the Giro basket, though, I suppose.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FJS
    Remarkably significant time gaps in this short TTT: Katusha fastest (at the moment), BMC 21 sec. slower, Milram 37 sec, Quick Step 38 sec.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Columbia take it with Caisse second - looking good for Valv.Piti for his first/last stage race overall... for a while

Strava is not Zen.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Astana have just dropped Rast? Is he ill or something?
  • blazing_saddles
    Rast can't climb. No chance of surviving tomorrow, so no point in waiting around.
    Tough little course that. High casualties on that climb.
    No surprise that "Clean" Columbia took the win, from Mr Valverde's solo act. :roll:
  • DavMartinR
    Surprising looking at the profile it didn't look that harsh? But a lot of the teams seemed to fragment and Rast looked like he was going backward.

Your right Blazing looking at the next couple of stages there's no way a big lump like Rast is going to stay in yellow. Just took me by surprise how quick the gap grew and left Rast treading water.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Surprising looking at the profile it didn't look that harsh? But a lot of the teams seemed to fragment and Rast looked like he was going backward.

Your right Blazing looking at the next couple of stages there's no way a big lump like Rast is going to stay in yellow. Just took me by surprise how quick the gap grew and left Rast treading water.

The first climb on the course was only 2km in... and to be honest, it wasnt that bad... But it was really surprising to see the riders struggle. After just 2km Cofidis, Quick Step, and Rabobank were losing a man... It was incredible.

I got some nice picks if anyone is interested. http://www.flickr.com/dotcycling
    www.dotcycling.com
  • DavMartinR
    Those are some great images Emadden.You've picked a great spot too, catching the teams on the climb on the way out and the descent on the way back. Plus th weather looks a lot better in your pictures that it did on the live stream.

Did any rider catch your eye? Could do with some tips for the pro pundit points?? :wink:
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Those are some great images Emadden.You've picked a great spot too, catching the teams on the climb on the way out and the descent on the way back. Plus th weather looks a lot better in your pictures that it did on the live stream.

Did any rider catch your eye? Could do with some tips for the pro pundit points?? :wink:

Yup I got serious sun burn... :-)

Valverde is looking very strong --- but so are Evans, Menchov and Gilbert. I think there will be a huge fight on those climbs tomorrow and it will be tight. If I had to choose just one it would be Valverde
    www.dotcycling.com
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Finally I pick a winner! I need to go and have a lie down.
  • blazing_saddles
    Oh wow, Kreuziger does his Basso v Gibo 2006 impression.
    Rides of the front of the "elite" :lol: group, on the climb.
    Rides away from the lead group, on the climb.
    Rides away from Karpets, on the false flat.

Big, big mistake he's not Giroing.

Evans? On the climb, looks across, sees he's sitting on Menchov's shoulder and thinks it's July.
    Bad case of the sucks, both wheel and performance.
    Dennis "Dull" Menchov, equally as lazy, but hey! at least he can say he's preparing for the Giro.
    Don Ale's got CONIitess.
    What's Lotto's lump of lard got as any excuse? A holiday.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited May 2009
    Nice ride by Kreuziger...he didn't even look like he was trying. Another TdSuisse for him?

Kreuziger-TT.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I'm in PTP heaven!
  • FJS
    And it looks like I'll be slip-streaming behind andy for a turn..... Karpets and Taaramae closing a 13 sec. gap in the last 10, and the 'elite' group going from 27 to 51 seconds with Rigoberto Uran in it to pull for Valv? Anyway, win some lose some...
  • DavMartinR
    Missed the live (delayed) internet stream today. Is there any Sat FTA channels showing highlights? Do the Italians (RIA) show highlights?

Looking at the result on CN seemed like Charlie Wegelius showed up in the climbs, I bet he's cursing now that he left Liquigas for Silence - Lotto the way Evans is going at the moment.
  • FJS
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Missed the live (delayed) internet stream today. Is there any Sat FTA channels showing highlights? Do the Italians (RIA) show highlights?
    Sporza has (short) highlights: http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza.be/wielrennen/1.518777# ('wedstrijdverslag')
  • DavMartinR
    Thanks for that FJS.

Kreuziger looks a bit like Andy Schleck? In appearance and riding style?? Could be the battle of the TdF? Well for white anyway.