Rear Shock fitting help

mw86
mw86 Posts: 13
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
hi

i just bought a roco air tst r shock and when trying to fit the shock to my frame using the original bushes and they slide through the eyes so at a guess their a mm too thin. i know they need to be tight as getting them out of my last shock was a mission.

ive looked up new bushes but their in a size 6mm or 8mm which i guess is the inside diameter and what ever length you need but no outer width.

do i need to buy an insert for the roco's eyes? my original shock was a ario 2.2 if this helps

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Outer width of the spacer fittings is usually 12mm or half an inch. I am not sure of the Zocchi standard but surely it is in the manual?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need the correct fitting kit for your frame and the shock.

NB: RS shocks come with a possibility of 2 sizes on the shock body.

12mm and 1/2"
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mw86
    edited April 2009
    Thanks guys, no its not in the manual,the manuals really small like 8pages long and thats in 5 languages, its the 1st place i looked!!!

The bushings messuments are so close to call theirs like 1/2mm diffrence in 12mm and 1/2". are these the only sizes known to man? because if so i'll take it as my original bushings are 12mm and order some 1/2" blingers, i just wana ride my bike aaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh
  • nicklouse
    so which bit (picture) are you actually having problems with?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mw86
    The bushings messuments are so close to call theirs like 1/2mm diffrence in 12mm and 1/2". are these the only sizes known to man? because if so i'll take it as my original bushings are 12mm and order some 1/2" blingers, i just wana ride my bike aaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh ill try and get some pics up
  • nicklouse
    No you order the fitting kit you need for the shock and the frame.

dont order this or that size. as things like width/length come into it as does the mounting bolt diameter.
  • mw86
    30thapril09020.jpg

30thapril09021.jpg

As you can see from the pics that bushing doesnt fit snug into the eye of the shock. this happens at the top and the bottom fittings.

my top bushing is 56mm long and needs an ID of 8mm and the bottom is 22mm long and need an ID of 6mm. im pritty sure the OD is 12mm so if i order the same sizes but in 1/2"OD that should work right?
  • nicklouse
    i have already told you what you should ask for.

You can use your measurements to check that you recive/are being sent the right stuff.

but giving the dimensions you have may 1 get you the wrong stuff, 2 making harder for the supplier to find what you need.

All they need is shock info and frame info.
  • mw86
    well spoke to Marzocchi and the ID of the eyelet bush in the eye of the shock is 1/2" or 12.7mm.

Then spoke to TF Tuned and they suply all sorts of sizes and a very good how to page also what you need to know:

http://www.tftuned.com/

Go to Tech Area and click on mount kits and bushings, that will take you to a page on how to select your new bushes.

As i already have the fitting kit for my frame i just need thicker bushes i went ahead and orderd the same size bushes i have now but in 12.7mm.

Will let you know how i get on!
  • nicklouse
    so how will that work?

you need the fitting kit (reducers) to fit the 1/2" DU bush that is in your shock.

or have you ordered the fitting kit?
  • mw86
    ooops
  • mw86
    edited May 2009
    Right my bike came with a ario 2.2 which has an eye ID of 12mm. The standard fitting kit is a M8 bolt at the top through a 12mm wide M8 x 56mm axle and then a M6 bolt through a 12mm wide M6 x 22mm axle at the bottom.

Their are only to common shock eye ID sizes 12mm and 12.7mm or 1/2 inch.

The Marzocchi Roco Air shock i want to fit to the same frame has a eye ID of 12.7mm thus the axles i have now, the original axles that was attached to the ario 2.2 are not too short and too long but 0.7 of a mm too thin on the outside to fit snug to my 12.7mm ID Roco shock (the original ario's ID is 12mm)

So i have orderd a M8 x 56mm fitting kit 12.7mm wide and a M6 x 22mm fitting kit also 12.7mm wide to replace the original M8 x 56mm fitting kit thats is 12mm wide and the M6 x 22mm fitting kit thats 12mm wide. i will use the same bolts to attach the shock to the frame as they will not be affected by the change as im still using M8 and M6
  • nicklouse
    so what about the rest of the bits?

or have you also ordered the rest of the fitting kit.

Bushes are in the shock Not needed.

you then either need two reducers for each end giving a total length of what ever you need and a bolt size of what you need.

Or you ordered a couple of pins/axles (one each end) and 2 pairs of side spacers (with or with out seals).

as far as i can tell you have (maybe) just ordered the pins!
  • mw86
    i have orderd a mounting kit for the top and the bottom, they come with a new bushing, a pin, two sleeves and the seals.
  • If I am buying a complete mounting kit to fit a Monarch rear shock, with my Motobecan mountain bicycle. why is the M6 ot M8 selection an importnant factor,

For me it looks indiferent if I buy M6x50mm kit or a M8x50mm one.

Since I am getting the widht I need, the half inch diameter needed so the reducers fit the shock, ... ..what Is it that I am missing, would both mounitng kits fit my bike, and weight and strength is the only diiference between m8 and m6 or is there something more?

Thanks,

Emilio
  • nicklouse
    well what size is the mounting bolt? (Diameter).

it will be 8 or 6mm.
  • The mounting bolt comes with the Mounting Kit, so if I buy 8mm, I will get an 8mm mouning bolt. And is the same case if I go for the 6mmversioon of the kit.