Orange Five 2008 or 2009, What are the differences ???

Sam CH
Sam CH Posts: 6
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello everybody,

First some words about me. My name is Sam, I'm 30 and Swiss, from the Alps yes yes. I'm lucky I know. As you know, here int the Alps we have a lot of nice trails, DH-tracks etc... I'm not a DHer, I'm a right "trailer". Go up, not to fast, go down on singletracks as fast as possible, try that nice single that I saw on the map... Oh s*ç% it's not possible. Get lost. Find a new way... You know, that's moutain bike.

And why am I here now ?

I'm looking for a new bike. I have now a Yeti 575 (from 2006). I had also a Rocky Mountain etsx, some Bianchis nth (cross country) and the rest is to old. The Yeti is good, not perfect, but not far from perfection. He's got a Pike (coil of course), a pair of self-mounted wheels (Hope Pro 2, Sun Equalizer 31), Avid Juicy 5 and Sram for the rest. Iwas just surfing on the net last week and Wooooooowwwwwww ORANGE BIKES are looking so perfect, simple as possible. I surched some information about pricing, sizing etc... and founded offers for 2008 Five.

So my questions :

- Which size do I need. I'm 170cm, that means about 5'7'' ? I want a nice playing bike ?

- What are the differences between 2008 and 2009 ? Geometry ? Weight ?

Thanks a lot dudes ! And sorry but my english is not so good...
Sam CH

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    hi, your English is good, don't worry about it.

I'd probably be looking at a 16" Orange 5 frame, but best to test it first. I'm 5'9" & ride an 18", it just fits me spot on.

The main difference in the '08 & '09 is that the frame tubing on the '09 is Reynolds tubing.

geometry for the '08: http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2008bikes/five-s.php

& the '09: http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/ ... del_id=100

seat angle remains @73, head angle goes from 68.5 to 67 ('08 to 09)

I'd guess that the weights are fairly similar, my '08 (18") 5 Pro weighs in @28lb & could easily weigh less.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Sam CH
    Thanks Andy_B,

Well, my english... thanks !

OK, so you mean it's not a bad idea to take a 2008 Five. 16'' was my idea for a funny bike. I'm looking for testing it. But the people who are importing Orange in Switzerland are not so good, doesn't answer any em@il and i don't know anybody riding an Orange Five.

The 2008 Five got a 68.5° head angle. With what for a fork height ? That's good but a degree less would be better, almost without sag.
    Sam CH
  • Andy B
    yes I'd test a 16" one if you can the 18" is almost too big for me & I'm only a little taller than yourself.

I'd guess that the '08 head angle was measured with the optimal fork length of 140mm. If you wanted a slacker head angle then you could run upto a 160mm fork.

Orange are pretty helpful if you email them: sales@orangebikes.co.uk
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    I have the 08 Orange 5 AM and have the 160 fork upfront but found best to set
    sag at 40% What Fox reccomend for Freeride setting.

Makes it feel more balanced upfront to rear and trackes better with this much sag.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Sam CH wrote:
    Thanks Andy_B,

Well, my english... thanks !

OK, so you mean it's not a bad idea to take a 2008 Five. 16'' was my idea for a funny bike. I'm looking for testing it. But the people who are importing Orange in Switzerland are not so good, doesn't answer any em@il and i don't know anybody riding an Orange Five.

The 2008 Five got a 68.5° head angle. With what for a fork height ? That's good but a degree less would be better, almost without sag.

Just for reference, in the UK Mountain Bike Rider (MBR) magazine gave the Orange 5 top marks in their annual "Trail Bike of the Year" test, both in 2008 and in 2009.

They said that even though it was so good in 2008, they felt that the changes for 2009 definitely made a difference, making the bike's suspension perform better and feeling more stable at the expense of it's ability to climb.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Sam CH
    If the 2009's better... Wow, I just want to have THE trail bike. For me, that means :

- climb, without bobing when on the saddle,
    - not to heavy, something under 30lbs, 28 would be good,
    - descending like a toy, I want to play between the trees, turn around the rocks, jump over the roots, what does mountain biking great, in fact.
    - reliable...
    - efficient

What else ? Nespresso ? Oh no, not at all...

I want the Five, I'm sure about it. With a Pike or a Lyric in 150mm... Hmmm lovely !

Does someone have some pictures of Fives ?
    Sam CH
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Get a Lyrik coil U-turn.

Adjustable travel from 115 (climbs) to 160 (fun times).

And I've heard nothing but great reviews for the Orange 5. Apart from it's looks, but I guess thats subjective, right?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • grantway
    For what I hear I wouldnt bother with the Lyrik Seem to still have
    problems with it has last year.
    Stick with a Fox Talas
  • Sam CH
    As far as I know the only Lyrik that had/have problems are the 2 steps.

I've got Rock Shox since 6 years now, do the service and reparation myself. I prefer to continue with RS. My only Problem is if I take a 2008 Five, then i need a 150mm Pike or Lyrik... That means air fork.
    Sam CH
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    Been running the lyrik on the Ransom, its the coil version, heavy but has been nothing but faultless. I owe my front teeth to that fork more than once :lol:

Having to wind it up and down gets a bt old so I generally just leave it set at 160mm unless I have a particularly long or technical climb ahead of me.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • grantway
    Your right it was the Two step
    But you can put on a 160 fork on the Orange 2008 model with no probs
  • Sam CH
    Well thanks at all for the comments.

A friend of mine is now saying me to look at the blood.... He sended me this link [urlhttp://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/products/dirt-office-bike-preview/dirt-1234563.html[/url]

And... wow, very nice. It's like the true orange, but in facts the angles, the geometry... looks nice.

A comparison of the geometry :

Each time first the blood AM (with 160mm fork), second the Five AM (with 140mm fork)
    Head angle : 66° / 66°
    Seat tube angle : 74° / 72,3°
    Effective TT : 580 / 580
    BB height : -6 / +6 (here I don't understand what it means)
    Chainstay : 432 / 425
    Wheel base : 1146 / 1153

I don't have any information about the weight of the blood.
    Sam CH
  • Andy B
    the BB height is measured relative to a horizontal line between the two hub axles.

so a +ve number is a BB above the axles & a -ve number is a BB below the axle line.

Blood-Frame-Blueprint.png

In the case of the Blood it's -6, so the BB is 6mm below the axle line

As for the weight you'll have to find an owner who knows the weight of their bike as very few manufacturers publish bike weights.

I would hazard a guess that the Blood is a bit heavier then the Five.