Double shifts

gypsy3006
gypsy3006 Posts: 108
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi :)

excuse my ignorance here :oops:

My bike has XT shifters and an XTR M972 rear shadow mech , Im not sure of the mechanics but it has the ability to double shift , is this the shifters or the deraulieur that gives it this ability ?

eg if i change the mech to a Saint will I lose this ability ?

Also if anyone can be be bothered to explain how it does this I would be very grateful :)

cheers
:shock:
Ride like theres a randy priest behind you !!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shifters. the mech is Dumb.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gypsy3006
    edited May 2009
    Nice one Nick , thank you :D

So am I right in thinking that with the right shifters any shimano mech will double shift ?

eg , XT , saint etc ?

reason for asking is that my rear pulley cage , the carbon one, snapped in half on my local black run , as they are nearly £100 replacement cost for the set :( , I think i may swap it for a saint , especially as my bike runs a 2 ring set up.

cheers
    :shock:
  • 2Fast4Love
    2Fast4Love Posts: 123
    I'm a roadie, but the basics are the same. Your shifters are pulling (or releasing) a given amount of cable, and that amount of cable causes the shift (double or otherwise) to occur at the mech.
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gypsy3006 wrote:
    Nice one Nick , thank you :D

So am I right in thinking that with the right shifters any shimano mech will double shift ?

eg , XT , saint etc ?

reason for asking is that my rear pulley cage , the carbon one, snapped in half on my local black run , as they are nearly £100 replacement cost for the set :( , I think i may swap it for a saint , especially as my bike runs a 2 ring set up.

cheers
    Mark

just make sure the mech is 1 the same size and 2 has the same movement ( rapid rise or normal)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gypsy3006
    cheers Guys :D