1st 100 miler yesterday!!!!!!!!

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
Been training throught the winter on turbo 4 days a week (thanks Chris Carmichael for the help!)

Since 20th Feb, building miles up, now at 200 per week.

Yesterday, did 105 miles at 17.2 mph.

Finished really fresh and genuinely felt I could do more.

After 3 hours at home after, was knackered.

Today, felt sapped and only by lunchtime did I feel like I had any energy again!

Nevertheless, so plesed to have done it!

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    jellikins wrote:
    Been training throught the winter on turbo 4 days a week (thanks Chris Carmichael for the help!)

Since 20th Feb, building miles up, now at 200 per week.

Finished really fresh and genuinely felt I could do more.

After 3 hours at home after, was knackered.

Today, felt sapped and only by lunchtime did I feel like I had any energy again!

Nevertheless, so plesed to have done it!

Not unusual to feel whipped the next day. That's a lot of riding and your legs only have so many RPM's and miles in them on any given day. Or year for that matter. As one of our club members once put "you can only withdraw so much from the mileage bank, before you go into the RED".

Dennis Noward
  • jellikins
    my main worry is that doing the Raid Pyeaneen in mid June. Doing that mileage for 5 days on the trot!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    jellikins wrote:
    my main worry is that doing the Raid Pyeaneen in mid June. Doing that mileage for 5 days on the trot!

Still lots of time to get into 'race' shape!

There's a certain amount of adrenaline that kicks in on a multi-day event and it actually gets easier (or so they say) after a few days.

I did London-Paris last year and it was 4 days of riding. The thrill of the riding carried me through day after day.

Plus - hopefully - you may be able to take it a little slower than you average speed today.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    jellikins wrote:

My experience on the multi day rides is that I start feeling a bit better as the days go by.
    You seem to kind of adapt to it all. Eat what you can, when you can, don't skimp on food. Especially if the miles are big each day.

Dennis Noward
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Congratulations - I haven't been able to do an imperial century for the last few years (injuries, work committments, etc), but it is one of my top goals for 2009. Best so far this year is 85 miles at 16.2 mph. Hopefully will succeed in late May / early June.
  • jellikins
    think legs have recovered after yeasterday off. Going out in a bit and will find out!
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Ace ride.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Well done mate, I always think its when you get beyond 3 hours with the average club cyclist, that many people who are strong initially really start to show their lack of endurance.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    zammmmo wrote:
    Well done mate, I always think its when you get beyond 3 hours with the average club cyclist, that many people who are strong initially really start to show their lack of endurance.

After 3 hours you also burn off your glycogen stores in your muscles also - which doesn't help if you're not properly refueling as you ride! I think a lot of people forget this part of their training (as you feel good during the first few hours and don't think about food). Until you bonk. :)
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Yes, I'd agree but I also think there is an element of regularly training beyond 60 miles and (this is a hunch) that different individuals just have differing innate fat utilisation ability...which of course is probably trainable as well.

I always find long (not necessarily that steady) rides like this are great for getting form. Doing them at race speed is a different matter - I once did a 100mile TT and thought it would bring me on a bit because it would be so severe (supercompensation effect - which works well for me when I increase ride frequency/length i.e. up the training temporarily, recover then race at a higher level for a bit) - it didn't, in fact it made me go slower for at least a month afterwards. I'd be interested to hear other people's experience of doing long rides at various intensities, the effect it gave and supercompensation etc.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Managed my first ton of the year today, dead chuffed 'cos I averaged over 17mph (good for me that is). Can't believe how much "snap" I consume on such rides.

The test for me will be tomorrow when my mate has a 70-80 miler planned. :?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    zammmmo wrote:
    ................ it didn't, in fact it made me go slower for at least a month afterwards. I'd be interested to hear other people's experience of doing long rides at various intensities, the effect it gave and supercompensation etc.
    I find that a 100 mile TT (along with the training required before it) tends to turn me into a diesel. But it can be good base work for gaining short-distance power later if I then work on top-end speed after I've recovered.

Ruth
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Feeling strong and being able to push on at the end of a long ride is one of the best things about cycling
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Good to get your 1st 100 in - and a good performance too - congrats :) The Raid Pyeaneen in June sounds fun - good luck with it 8)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Nice one jellikins

I did my 1st 100 miler on Friday, same deal plenty of juice left afterwards and almost a 20mph avg. one of those 1 in a million days :D

edit: I'd be interested to know did you stick to the big ring?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    Rev\'d Gatlin Posts: 190
    jellikins wrote:

Well done. It's nice to be the other side of the mental barrier. Did my first ton of the year yesterday. The bones need a bit of love today.

Bring on the Sportives.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • jellikins
    went out and did 52 after a days rest. Still some residual tiredness up steep hills, but ok.

Need to get out today (as not been on bike for 3 days). Weather is bloody appalling here, windy and wet!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Did my first ever 100 miler yeserday (Monday), I measure it up beforehand as 80 (in-laws in Berks to home in Wales), ended up being 93 miles with the wind against me all day long. Of course once the children had gone to bed I went out and did the last 7.

How do you people get such high speeds? My average must have been 12 or so, I can think of various excuses (wind / bonk) why I slowed down.

Feeling a bit demoralised at the prospect of a 77 mile sportive in a months time.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    mr_si wrote:
    Did my first ever 100 miler yeserday (Monday), I measure it up beforehand as 80 (in-laws in Berks to home in Wales), ended up being 93 miles with the wind against me all day long. Of course once the children had gone to bed I went out and did the last 7.

How do you people get such high speeds? My average must have been 12 or so, I can think of various excuses (wind / bonk) why I slowed down.

Feeling a bit demoralised at the prospect of a 77 mile sportive in a months time.

Well done and don't worry about the speed just get the miles in and keep doing those miles, plus the headwind WILL make you stronger, according to the metoffice it's gusting 35+mph here in Windshire ATM bring it on I say :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Some impressive average speeds there for sure. Guess terrain plays a bit part. Doing the Hampshire Hilly Hundred this weekend, my first hundred miler. Looking forward to it (providing this flu shifts by then)