2009 Mavic Deetraks or Crossline?

Shredmeister
Shredmeister Posts: 6
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Decision time... its time for some new wheels for a 2008 kona stinky. I know the 2009 stinky deluxe comes with the crossline's but I'm thinking it might be worth the extra 200g to get the burlier deetraks (which are still lighter than the stock s-types). The only review I've come accross states the crossline's are a bit twangy but on the other hand they might be strong enough for the type of riding I'm doing. Any input would be appreciated greatly.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    howabout some decent handbuilts so you can easily get spares?

721 on pro2 perhaps?
  • Yeah i'd considered the pro II build but everyone seems to have them! I suppose thats a good sign... maybe I'm just trying to be different? The Deetraks actually use 'normal' spokes this year so spares should be easy to get hold of.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd be concerned about the freehub spares availablility, i know some of the mavic wheels have had issues with them...

Fuclrum red zero, i think they are the freeride/dh ones, would be pretty lush.
  • They're the light xc ones aren't they? Are there still issues with the 2009 mavic wheels? Does anyone have experience of 2009 mavic factory built wheels?
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    No, the Fulcrum red zeros are a burly wheel

you are thinking of the red metals which are XC/race wheels

:wink:
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    They're the light xc ones aren't they? Are there still issues with the 2009 mavic wheels? Does anyone have experience of 2009 mavic factory built wheels?

I've just fitted a set of '09 crossrides to my Cove Handjob, they're bloody good wheels, only had 2 rides on them so far but the first impressions are great.

No flex, very good bearings in the hubs, they spin forever when you lift the wheel up and very good build quality.

For 2009 MAvic have 12 service centres nation wide who carry spares like spokes, nipples and free hub bits for all teh wheels they sell otherwise they loose the service centre tag
  • Sounds promising. I think i'm gonna give the deetraks a go; slightly heavier than the crosslines (200g) but I'd be happier knowing I had a wheel that could take anything rather than being slightly lighter/more nimble on the trail.