RaceFace cranks and Hope BB - compatibility

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got an Orange 5 SE, which came with RaceFace Deus XC cranks, before I 'd ridden the bike, the BB had a fault so I upgraded it to a Hope ceramic.

I've now got an annoying creak which I'm 99% sure is from the front part of the drivetrain somewhere, but several attempts have failed to remove it.

Now, unlike Shimano cranks the RaceFace X-Type don't actually have a pre-load facility on them, but have an elastomer to compress and take up any slack. The cranks bottom out on the spindle.

I'm not convinced that when the crank and spindle is done up as tight as it will go, that is as tight as it needs to be.

Has anybody else got this set up, and have you had any problems?

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I've got an Orange 5 SE, which came with RaceFace Deus XC cranks, before I 'd ridden the bike, the BB had a fault so I upgraded it to a Hope ceramic.

I've now got an annoying creak which I'm 99% sure is from the front part of the drivetrain somewhere, but several attempts have failed to remove it.

Now, unlike Shimano cranks the RaceFace X-Type don't actually have a pre-load facility on them, but have an elastomer to compress and take up any slack. The cranks bottom out on the spindle.

I'm not convinced that when the crank and spindle is done up as tight as it will go, that is as tight as it needs to be.

Has anybody else got this set up, and have you had any problems?

I have exactly the same problem with a Hope BB and Shimano Hone chainset. I've tried absolutely everything to cure it, and I've had the BB shell faced. No luck.

The only thing that I have noticed is this. The bearing surfaces on the crank spindle are hard-chromed and ground to size, much like motorcycle fork stanchions. The hard chroming on the spindle where it contacts the bearing inner race is worn and flaking off in some places.

Now whether this was the case BEFORE I fitted the Hope BB or whether it's been caused by it I don't know, but I'm fairly convinced that it could be this that's causing the creaking.

Compared to the Shimano BB, the Hope unit also doesn't have the plastic shims which fit into the inner race like the Shimano does so the spindle actually contacts directly with the inner race. Hope claim that this increases rigidity, but I'm beginning to wonder if it could be at the expense of non-creakiness!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Did yo grease the threads of the bottom bracket cups?
  • Aye I greased everything!

I've now wound the non driveside cup out about a full turn, this has removed the slack and hopefully the creak, but....................
    now the bb cup isn't butted up to the bb shell, does that matter?
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    It won't be sealed. You will get all sorts of crap from the frame in there.

EDIT; You mean the actual shell on the frame or the tube that goes between the cups? If its not tightened up there will be no rigidity and it will undo.
  • won't the 25mm of thread stop the crud getting in. I can seal it with a rubber band or something. I was just worried about the forces not being transmitted to the right places.
  • -liam-
    won't the 25mm of thread stop the crud getting in. I can seal it with a rubber band or something. I was just worried about the forces not being transmitted to the right places.

I edited the post above. The cup needs to be tightened against the shel to make it rigid.
  • That's what I was afraid of. I'll try and get a 3.5mm elastomer for the cranks, rather than the 2.5mm that's on it now. It should provide the same solution, but I'll be able to nip the bb cups back up.
  • -liam-
    I've got a 0.5mm spacer that came with my xt bb that I don't use. You are welcome to it if you want it.
  • Does that fit on the bb cup, or the actual bb spindle. Something about 0.5mm thick in either location should solve my problem.

Shall I pm you my address?
  • -liam-
    On a Shimano BB the spacer fits between the shell and the inner edge of the cup so you can alter the chain line either way.

Would sit where I've drawn the red line..

shimanoda7800ht2bcups-1.jpg

Pm me your addy and i'll chuck it in an envelope if you think it will help.
  • aren't they 2.5mm thick? If it is only 0.5mm I'll have it cheers!
  • -liam-
    aren't they 2.5mm thick? If it is only 0.5mm I'll have it cheers!

Boggo deore ones you seem to get 3x 2.5mm spacers. One for the non drive side and two for the drive side. With the xt BB they give you more spacers I assume for more fine tuning of the chain line. As I just stuck to the 3 x 2.5mm ones, I don't need this one. I did have a slightly thicker one, I think about 1.5 - 2mm but I can't find that one. Just this one ;)

Send us your addy and I'll chuck it in the post :)