new fork/wheels or new bike

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
being 17 i have small funds and my current bike isnt exactly "bling" on the old fork front. :(

basically the toras i currently have are shite and are really holding me back on the terrain i love to ride fast. the wheels also weigh a tonne (deore and xt hubs on xc717s and black plain spokes, although 3 are silver cos i broke em) :shock:

i like the feel of the new fox forks but noticed that only the top models have the 15mm axle, and i havent been impressed with rockshox and a pair of marzocchis my mate had blew up

any one got a decent set of rockshox???
also wot wheels are decent compromise between strength and weight at around £200-300

then theres the new bike option which would be lovely as my current frame looks very sorry for its self. im looking for a ful suss bike leaning towards all mountain for about £1500 but i could possibly push to £2500

any opinions or recommendations????

oh and all stuff (bikes, bits etc) needs to be pretty strong cos i like the odd jump or two :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what bike do you have at the moment?
  • lawman
    its a maxlight xc120 (a.k.a. the clunker)

its a lightish frame so im worried id break it if i went mad and its a bloody hard ride two!!!
    i can ride for 3-4 hours on it but after that im dead and have missed college cos of backpain :cry:
  • Anonymous
    that bike isnt designed to be jumped about on so i would say you are best off getting adifferent bike, you have a very healthy budget so can get almost anything, an orange 5 might be up your street if you were to go towards the top end of your budget....................
  • lawman
    the five is nice but it would have to be really good to stretch to £2500

id prefer to spend less than £2000 on a bike which is likely to be thrashed

ive seen commencals on merlin for less than £1750 and lasts years marin wolf ridge for £1500 at west end cycles so something soimilar to these is what im looking for
  • Anonymous
    get yourself a couple of tests on the bikes you like the idea of and hey presto............
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Toras are pretty decent forks, are you sure they don't just need a service? I had a set on my last bike for a while (solo air 302s 130mms) and though they were heavy, they did the job well.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    they may be decent but they in wales they killed my arms and i only get 80-90 mm having changed the spring, had them serviced and have them wound out to full travel - 130mm

and yes i know thats too long for an xc120 but otherwise the cranks hit ground even with 170mm crankarms. just had a look at the marins they seem pretty nice tbh

opinions anyone?????
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Off topic and 'slightly' hijacking the thread, but I am selling a brand new GT Force 1.0 for £1200 (it's a 2k rig). Size Medium. Pics are in my sig

Someone has first dibs on the forum at the moment, but it has to go. I should know soon, and then if he doesn't want it I shall re-list it

It's 6 weeks old and is great! Only selling so I can focus on my other two bikes, and free up some room in my tiny little house!!! (my bikes live with me)

Its got Full XT drivetrain, Fox shock and forks, thomson kit and it's pretty bling!

And once thats gone I can buy my Ti frame for one of my other bikes 8) 8)