Paddy Wagon, Pompino or other

monkeysm8
monkeysm8 Posts: 191
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
What would be your choice as a 10 mile+ single speed commuter. It needs to be robust enough to handle day to day and all year round riding, but comfy for long leisure type rides ie Manchester to Blackpool. What would be your choice of weapon???

I favour the Paddy Wagon due to ease of purchase more than anything.

Edit: I am really bored at work so humour me :D

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    What would be your choice as a 10 mile+ single speed commuter. It needs to be robust enough to handle day to day and all year round riding, but comfy for long leisure type rides ie Manchester to Blackpool. What would be your choice of weapon???

I favour the Paddy Wagon due to ease of purchase more than anything.

I favour the Pearson Touche - 'cos I have one and it's fab.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Pompino, a guy who works at the lbs with me has a bob jackson and several other nice steel bikes, he tried my pompino and has just bought himself one and fitted a rolhoff!!!!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Personally - Bianchi Pista, for the look.

However, practicality tells me Pompino!
  • might have some relevance. Can you buy a single speed bike for around 300. does anybody have one fro sale maybe
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • A £99 Pompino frame kitted out with an Alfine hub gear?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • monkeysm8
    Alfine now thats just cheating lol good call though
  • Now I am absolutely qualified to answer this one! I have owned a Paddy Wagon, a condor Pista(now deceased), a Touche(cracked) and now a Pompino (99 quid-WTF) and can say out of all these frames The Pompino is by far the stiffest and best frame in that price bracket. When I look retrospectivly, it is the only one made for purpose and feels like it. relaxed yet stiff, 99 squid!! Do it, its bonkers!!!
  • monkeysm8
    Now I am absolutely qualified to answer this one! I have owned a Paddy Wagon, a condor Pista(now deceased), a Touche(cracked) and now a Pompino (99 quid-WTF) and can say out of all these frames The Pompino is by far the stiffest and best frame in that price bracket. When I look retrospectivly, it is the only one made for purpose and feels like it. relaxed yet stiff, 99 squid!! Do it, its bonkers!!!

Planet X are getting a phone call today :)
  • monkeysm8
    Well I may have of just happened to meander over to Planet X today and I may just have ordered a Pompino 8) I can't wait.