replacing crank arms

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
my p1 has cranks which look like this:

3488331369_9c7cf5e990_m.jpg

3488330671_3784dbc836_m.jpg

i want to change them for some black ones (for no other reason than i prefer the look) but cant figure out what i need to know

-first, how do i know if the chainring will fit on to the new cranks (it doesnt seem to have a spider as such) (existing chainring is a profile? 33t)

-how do these cranks interface with the BB?

-can i just fit a regular mtb set up in its place?( bb shell =73mm)

-are these the type of thing i should be looking at for replacements?

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Righto..... I have the same set up on my 'goose....

1: they attach to the chaniring by a bolt (universal unless you go micro geared (25t -)

2: Usually they are a splined system (8/48 etc) and just slot on, and secure by 2 crank bolts at the end of the axle, and 2 pinch bolts - piece of pi55

3: These
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/19 ... -axle.html
    are cheaper and strong as hell - they are what i have, I was toying with all the expensive ones (and you know what a tart I am) but in this case theres not much in them, just sometimes slightly lighter, but on a heavy bike such as the P1, not a problem

The BB are normally press fit bearings (19mm or 22mm) then the axle slides in between them, easy set up, oh and make sure the hole in your chainring is either 19mm or 22mm, most are 22 but come with a shim

Phew
  • The Big Cheese
    Yours looks like a Euro BB, but with a thru axle.... hard to tell, but the crank arms will fit as long as:

They are the appropriate spline = 8 or 48 etc

and your chainring inner diameter is the same as your axle diameter, but a way around that is usually solved by a adapter (couple of quid)
  • Anonymous
    the driveside arm doesnt appear to have a crank bolt,

3488407357_258792f221_m.jpg

could it be fixed to the axle permanently?
  • Anonymous
    is it possible to fit a mtb style alternative? im thinking something sainty..................
  • The Big Cheese
    Yours is slightly different to my set up, looks the same but isn't

I suspect that you have a Euro threaded BB, in which case you can run a single-ring Saint setup....

I would look about swapping out the Saint ring and purchase an e13 32 tooth ring - you don't want anything too large/or keep the same as what you have if you like it...

You can buy the Saint arms from CRC on their own IIRC