Swapping slicks for MTB tires.

Mr Sworld
Mr Sworld Posts: 703
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all...

I'm sure this has been answered before but the search feature doesn't appear to like me! :evil:

I have a Scott Aspect 45 and I use it to commute as well as MTB'ing. I would like to buy a new set of wheels with discs, cassette and slicks so I can just swap each set for what I want to do at that time.

However how easy is this? Does anyone know of a good source of info on this or has done it themselves?

Help me please....... :roll:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will need to shim the rotors on one set so they fit exactly the same as the other set of wheels. (there can be small variations in measurements even with the same wheels).

For the same reason you may have to readjust gears.

Can be quicker and easier just to change the tyres!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    or buy a really cheap second hand singlespeed road bike for comutting...
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Like Supersonic said, you can do it, and if you're lazy like me, 2 sets of wheels is a good idea.

There's alot of cheap disc-specific wheels. Mavic something-or-others on Deore hubs will be alrite for the commute.

As was also mentioned, you may need to shim your disc, so it fits properly. I'd suggest doing this on the slick wheelset, but it's up to you.

Ultimately, get a road bike, and commute on that. SO much faster. You can pick 'em up for next to nothing.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Thanks for the replies and info peeps. I'll have to have a think about this one, it's not as easy as I had thought.... :shock:

I might well look at the road bike idea when I'm next eligible for the cycle scheme at work or have a look on e-bay!

Thanks again Supersonic, Ride and Chaz. :D
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Dude, I put my Rock hopper on the road!!! Its a so easy to do. Changing tires takes at most 5-10mins. I much prefer my Rockhopper to my Langster on the road! I cant tell you which is faster....but I can definatly tell you which is more comfortable and more fun.

Once a mountain biker, always a mountain biker.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Get an el cheapo road bike- random old rigid mtb or racer off gumtree maybe? I just rebuilt my first ever mtb for road use, or nearly have anyway, total cost- £50. New BB, tyres, cables, chain, and 2 tins of yellow hammerite :lol: And it's not likely to get nicked either :oops:

I did think about getting a second set of wheels, but it's a faff and it's not really all that cheap either. And of course, it puts all that extra wear and tear on your expensive mtb too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    By an old racer for £30 from a charity shop. Strip, rebuild, and you'll have yourself a quality commuter.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.