whinlatter vs gisburn

clodhoppa74
clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
hi,

got a few day soff next week and was thinking of heading to the lakes for some riding.

my wife's just started, and she can 'comfortably' do the purple route at gisburn in about an hour and a bit... was wondering if there's anything of a comparable scale in the lakes, probably more southern lakes actually, as we're in the dales.

non - trails are fine too, just need an OS map number and we're away.

she's really getting into it, after a rocky start, and i'm getting a little bored doing gisburn every week (she's still learning, so it's useful to her to go to the same place so she can see she's improving, and i'm encouraging her all i can)

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I've never ridden Gisburn but I rode the red route at Whinlatter a few days ago and it's possibly not the right place for someone new to riding.... In my opinion, there are some quite cheeky technical bits that might catch her out.

Don't know about the rest of the area though - I live in Hampshire!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • clodhoppa74
    cheers sarah. that's the kind of thing i need to know. i mean i'm making out she's the novice, i'm no great trail rider either, but i can do hills a bit better!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    cheers sarah. that's the kind of thing i need to know. i mean i'm making out she's the novice, i'm no great trail rider either, but i can do hills a bit better!

Just my opinion - others may disagree!

My OH took me to Cwmcarn when I had been MTBing for a literally few months and it was horrible - nothing like walking huge chunks to ruin your confidence!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Check out Grizedale forest. The North Face trail has lots of boardwalk sections that can be treacherous in the wet but overall it's not too technical. There are plenty of simple fireroad rides at Grizedale too, if you don't want things too adventurous.

Grab a Cumberland sausage and onion marmalade sandwich from the cafe when you're finished, delicious!
  • cicatriz
    cicatriz Posts: 411
    I would opt for The North Face at Grizedale. As already mentioned it's not too technical but challenging enough to boost the wife's confidence. It's not all trail work either with the sections of The North Face broken up with sections of fire road in between. You can get some great views over the hills towards Coniston too.
    The Altura trail at Whinlatter is, in my opnion, much more demanding both physically and technically. Longer and steeper climbs and the descents can be very tricky especially if they are wet.
    I guess it all depends upon your skill and fitness levels but I feel it is better to do an easy trail well than to do a harder trail badly. It's your choice but I hope you enjoy it either way.
  • clodhoppa74
    thanks all.

grizedale sounds like a winner, although the north shore may freak her (and me, i not done any yet) out a bit.

and yeah, i'm really conscious of not being a gung ho twit and putting her off one of the best things you can do in the woods. legally.

good views are a winner too. hope the weather holds out for next week *fingers crossed*.

:D
  • Here is a nice easy route to do: Sawrey and Claife Heights northwest of Lake Windermere

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7079

You cross with your bikes on the Ferry (the ferry leaves every 15mins, ride past all the cars in the queue)

ferry.jpg

It involves one steady 150m climb to the highest point which is 778ft

Only 10 miles course.

You can get there by train if you wanted.

If you want something harder check out this one (the same location)

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4004
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    There's a few decent routes listed and described on here http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk/trails.php
  • clodhoppa74
    yoink... i'll have them.. thankyou!
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Here is a nice easy route to do: Sawrey and Claife Heights northwest of Lake Windermere

Had a ride around here a few weeks back & it was lovely in the sun (oh yes!). Bit rocky in places in the woods though - I can't get to the map link to check out if it goes there or not though.

I camped just up the coast at the National Trust site at Low Wray, not a bad site at all and it's so nice to ride straight from the tent instead of faffing with the car.

To echo most people, Grizedale is great for being adaptable if you're finding it too much or too steady.

The Lakes are wonderful, enjoy yourselves!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • clodhoppa74
    we will do!

just looking forward to ding new things, new trails and so on. and i'm chuffed she's getting into biking, makes such a difference to the guilt engine in my head that knows i'm having lots of fun without her!
  • Dobelerone
    Dobelerone Posts: 25
    North Face for me,Im pretty new to riding myself,i have covered this a couple of times and have to say it does inspire confidence as well as a quality backdrop,its a no brainer!!!!!!! :D Going to attempt Altura next week myself :D so will keep you informed.Just a little tip,try and get there around 8.30-9.00am as it does get very busy mid morning,park at Boggle Cragg car park and ride up (about 5 minutes, if that)to loosen yourself off.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    north shore may freak her (and me, i not done any yet) out a bit.

The stuff at Grizedale isn't really North Shore, it's more boardwalk over boggy bits. It does have some step downs (about a foot or so) but those can be easily rolled down at slow speed if necessary.

If you come across it and don't fancy it you can bypass it on the fireroad.

Anyway, have fun wherever you decide to go 8)
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    South loop in Whinlatter Altura should be fine for your wife, although some parts of the North loop is quite tricky (a lot of slippy roots).

Its still doable at slower pace though, I met quite a few guys with their other halfs riding Altura.
  • Jamjam123
    Jamjam123 Posts: 19
    yes good luck when you go i rode the north face once it has some board walk on it but it's not much :D
    why you lookin at this it isn't that amazing