My bike's so old...

Agent57
Agent57 Posts: 2,300
edited May 2009 in The bottom bracket
My bike's so old it has SunTour "OvalTech" chainrings.

However, this morning I've been told my employer's going to implement Cyclescheme. \o/ I'm going to replace my 20 year old road bike with something a but more up to date. If nothing else, I won't have to take my hands off the bars to shift. Those downtube shifters can be dangerous in a crosswind...

I've noticed some other things have changed over the two decades since I bought my bike. Standard chainring pairings seem to be 39/53, compared to my 42/52. That should translate as having some handy lower gears on the uphills, and some handy higher gears on the downs. Maybe I'll manage to beet my speed record of 50mph (although frankly I don't think I have the bottle I had 20 years ago any more).

Ribble Road Racing Carbon Sportive is the most likely candidate. I rode to the shop in Preston last weekend to have a look at one in the flesh. Looks pretty nice, and a little more modern than my current bike. Carbon fibre may not be as comfy as my 531c alloy frame, I'm told. I'm looking forward to finding out though.
MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think you'll be surprised how comfy Carbon Fibre is!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Gutted. I thought this was going to be like one of those your mama's so fat jokes :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    For prawny;

My bike's so old the wheels are square.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Anonymous
    My bikes so old it's only got 20 gears!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My bike's so old it has a LIII/XXXIX chainset
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    prawny wrote:
    Gutted. I thought this was going to be like one of those your mama's so fat jokes :wink:

Surely having SunTour "OvalTech" chainrings in punchline enough? :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    prawny wrote:

You've met my mama then?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    My bikes so old it cost me a Goat and a sack of veg... :lol:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    My bike is so old that there are no pedals/brakes - you have to do a "Fred Flintstone" while riding. :lol:

My other old bike was invented before man invented the wheel, so you just sit on it and imagine you're riding instead.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think you'll be surprised how comfy Carbon Fibre is!

+1. I swapped from a 24 year old Holdsworth 531 Pro to a Pinarello FP5 this year. The Pinarello is ever so comfy, and yet it doesn't loose as much power through flex compared to the old steely.

The Ribble will probably be quite relaxed and easy to live with, as it is a sportif orientated machine rather than an out-and-out racer.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    My bike is so old that it is fitted with a sundial and a sextant, for time keeping and navigation.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Ahh that's better :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017