good god damn s*dding rassum frassum KNEES!

patchy
patchy Posts: 779
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Can someone cut my kneecaps off please? I'm sick of them hurting.

alternatively, anyone know any good stretches/exercises/setup tips to reduce knee pain? I've done all the usual seat height/cleat position finagling.

FYI, i got run over by a car a couple of months ago: i didn't break anything, but my right knee and ankle were in pretty bad shape for a while. I kept the riding light as i suffered major knee pain: about three weeks ago, i thought it had cleared up.

I did a sportive (114k), relatively flat, over Easter, and since then my LEFT knee has been just shocking. i tried to get out last night, after 2 miles it was hurting and i had to give up and go home after 10 miles. I'm experiencing pain mostly on the inside of the kneecap, but i've experienced pain all around the knee.

help!!
point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Have you checked your cleat position? Sure you have but it's the first thing I'd look at.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Go and see a doctor, followed by a physio/osteo.

It's probably your left knee overcompensating for the weaker right, either way, you could do yourself further damage unless you get it seen to by a professional.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348

It's probably your left knee overcompensating for the weaker right, either way, you could do yourself further damage unless you get it seen to by a professional.

+1 to that. Get yourself to a physio ASAP, just don't mess with your knees, it's not worth it.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I too have occasional knee pain, ever since a somewhat spectacular snowboarding accident a few years ago. Strangely enough, it's not just the knee that I injured that plays up now but both of them.

Most of the time it's OK, but when I've been pushing it a bit one or both can start to give me grief. I had to get rescued after cycling the Ridgeway when one knee locked up and I could no longer turn the pedals!

It gets better with fitness (the problem is with my ligaments), but I've learnt that when it starts to hurt, back off/stop.

Of course, do the sensible thing and go see a doctor. They'll tell you to take some Ibruprofen and come back in a couple of weeks if it still hurts.

I don't have much faith in doctors

Misguided Idealist
  • patchy
    yup - them cleats have been fiddled and fiddled and fiddled with repeatedly. they're spot on.

The overcompensation thing is my suspicion too – especially as the pain has essentially switched knees, rather than being present in both. Just wanted to check there wasn't anything obvious i was missing before going down the medical route.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Rich158 wrote:

+1 to that. Get yourself to a physio ASAP, just don't mess with your knees, it's not worth it.

+1. Normally I'd say that if the bone isn't sticking out of the flesh then run it off man, but knees is a serious business. Get it looked at.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    patchy wrote:
    Can someone cut my kneecaps off please? I'm sick of them hurting.

We used to do a good line in that here in Belfast. Pop over sometime big lad, we'll sort you out no bother like.

Alternatively, do what the nice sensible people on here have suggested and go see a doctor.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My right knee generally hurts due to a tight ITB. I went to the physio, got some proper diagnosis and some advice about stretching.

Occasionally I have to go to the sports massuse to have it freed up, but since this hurts like hell as well, I find it best to do the stretches.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    i've found the use of a knee support on the hurty days have helped a great deal, but then my doctor made me feel stupid for complaining so i gave up.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • brushed
    brushed Posts: 63
    If the pain is behind the kneecap its likely it could be chrondomalacia patella (poorly knees !) a common ailment in cyclists. I have had it alot.

The Quad muscles get tight through overuse and your stretching routine is insufficent to restretch them back to their original lenght.

This causes the kneecap to track wrongly over the knee causing pain behind.

Could be the illiotibial band (ITB) as has also been suggested doing the same thing ie pulling your kneecap to one side.

Once one knee goes the other over compensates and you have two bad knees.

Rest - take some days off of the bike
    Physio - will ease out the muscles and ITB
    Stretch - after light ridng so muscles are warm
    Light cycling - low gears no hills
    In winter keep knees warm

Do stretching regularly: I cannot stress this enough - it has kept me on my bike for 25 years !

As you have had a crash trauma to it is is likely to flair up without special attention again and again.

Hope it sorts itself out
    FCN 4 summer
    FCN 6 Winter

'Strong, Light, Cheap : choose two' Keith Bontrager
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I feel your pain. Knee trouble is, well, troublesome. I know. I had lots of problems with my knees last year which I couldn't sort out, regardless of fiddling with cleats / seat etc etc. They got so sore at one point that I couldn't even walk to my local shop. But a colleague recommended the wondrous www.sixphysio.com team to me and within three weeks I was pretty much pain free and within three months I'd cycled to Paris. They are utter, utter geniuses and I can't recommend them highly enough.

They'll put your bike on a turbo trainer to look at your riding style - video it and show you where you're going wrong (if you are) and look at your posture & natural alignment. And sort that where necessary. In my case it was partly riding wrongly, partly curved bones (therefore inserts) and partly exercises to sort various muscles.

They are expensive - but worth every penny, IMO.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284

How expensive?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    spursn17 wrote:

How expensive?

evil-doctor1.jpg
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    If I remember right (BUPA paid) it was £65 a session. But I went to a cheaper one at £40 twice a week for a month with zero improvement.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i have also had good experiences of NHS pyhsio.....

you can even refer yourself, but it might be a good idea to see a doc first.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • patchy
    Cheers all - this is really handy. I think my housemate has used Six Physio before, and has had startlingly good results. Doc first though. rassum frassum doctors rubbish hate them useless gonna be a waste of time...