new tyres

georgio15
georgio15 Posts: 77
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
i am thinking of switching to 20mm tyres. will i need to by new wheels as well or will i be able to just switch the tyres over?

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    About 7. Or a piece of string. Whichever is deeper.
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    it will depend on the wheels you have and the rim width. If you have been running 23mm then 20mm will probably be ok, though the ride will feel much more rough and you will feel pretty much every little bump in the tarmac.
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • georgio15
    that is not funny and highly unintelligent as it doesn't make sense. again

thank you for the serious answer
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    depends on what rims you have on already?

The obvious question is what rims do you have?
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • always_tyred
    georgio15 wrote:
    it doesn't make sense.
    Look at the silly monkey.
    sillymonkey.jpg
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    To be fair, It is quite funny
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • georgio15
    not really. the first time was mildly risible but now its just stupid
  • always_tyred
    So, I'm interested in changing something on my bike. What do you guys think I should do?
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Cartman%2BAnal%2BProbe.jpg
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • always_tyred
    mr_hankey_the_christmas_poo_by_staceyw.jpg
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    ask a stupid question etc...

Remember we don't what you are thinking. Just because you know what bike/wheel/tyre combo you already have we don't. It is entirely possible that you could be asking whether you can put 20mm tyres on a 19mm wide MTB rim, in which case the answer would be no.

you need to give enough detail so that an accurate answer can be provided.

You didn't learn from the first time, and got the same/similar amusing answer, which is why it continues to be funny.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    georgio15 wrote:
    not really. the first time was mildly risible but now its just stupid

As everyone else has said, it depends on the width of the rims

The width of the rim is the width that the beading of the tyre fits into. Tyres width rating on the other hand is the width of the tyre at the tred

For example, a Mavic Open Pro rim has a 15mm wide rim. It will take a 19mm to 28mm tyre
    However, it tends to work best with a tyre in the middle of this range, like a 23mm or 25mm

Another example: Mavic A719 has a 19mm wide rim. It will take a 28mm to 47mm tyre

If I was you I would not run 20mm tyres for commuting. However, if you'd like to figure out if 20mm tyres would fit, measure the width of the rim. If it is over 15mm then the 20mm tyres are unlikely to work

The advantages of 20mm tyres for bikes are 1) they can be run at a higher pressure as they are structurally stronger 2) they have a smaller aerodynamic profile

The aerodynamics only come into play if you have a deep section wheel with a section of 50mm or more. And even then the difference is a few seconds over a flat out 10 mile ride. High pressure tyres will roll faster but they tend to be so uncomfortable that you loose time advantage from poor road surfaces. Tubular tyres are better for high pressure as they are more pliable- but you are using clichers

Another disadvantage of narrow tyres is that they are more susceptible to flatting. Im not sure why this is but it is a well reported phenomenon