Madone v Planet X self build?

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I am looking at a self build v off the shelf for doing Sportive rides.

Currently considering Trek Madone 4.7 at £1300

Frame Trek TCT Carbon
Stays Trek TCT Carbon w/repl hangr
Fork Bontrager Race Lite, carbon w/E2 aluminum steerer; SpeedTrap compatible
Headset Aheadset w/cartridge bearings, integrated, sealed, alloy
Chainset Shimano Ultegra 50/34 or 52/39/30
Bottom Bracket Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
Shifters Shimano Ultegra 10spd STI
Cassette/Freewheel Shimano 105 11-25 or 12-27 (triple), 10 speed
Wheels Bontrager Race
Hubs Bontrager Race
Rim Bontrager Race
Tyre Bontrager Race X Lite, 700x23c, folding
Front Brake Shimano Ultegra
Rear Brake Shimano Ultegra
Brake Levers Shimano Ultegra STI, 10 speed

Or a Planet x self build £1300
SL Pro carbon Road Frame
SRAM Rival 2009 Groupset
Fulcrum 3 wheels
Finishing kit

Can't make my mind up about this so wanted to get some opinions. Over to you lot :lol:

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    No GOOD answer on this one except to say I've ridden Treks for quite some time now (from low end to top end) and they have proved to be quality bikes.

But what it may come down to is - do you want Sram Rival or do you want Ultegra?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd go with the Trek, I have several friends with both bikes and the Trek is the superior frame. Furthermore down the line, resale would be much better with the Trek, just do a search on eBay to see how well old 5.5 and Madone frames do! Trek also have a good frame warranty and massive dealer support.

That said, there's nowt wrong with the Planet X and (I've not used Rival but I have Red and Ultegra) I think the Rival is a better group (if it shifts as well as claimed)...
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I'd go with the Trek as well. Have ridden Aluminium ones up to the 6.9 Madone and can highly recommend them. As Napoleon says, you'll get a lot more re-sale for a Trek than a Planet X
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Planet X for me, I'm not a Trek fan. Far too many other good frames out there.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I don't like the look of the 4.7, it looks rubbish compared to the 5.2 etc which have the seatmast things.

I'd also prefer Fulcrum 3s and Rival too.

So the P-X gets my vote.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    I've a Trek Madone 5.2. I also have both Red & Rival groupsets. I've been using Campag and SRAM recently, the Rival is awesome considering the price tag.

The Planet X is a good value for money frameset/bike, but I'd personally go for the Trek. I don't think many companies can rival the engineering departments of the big players like Trek or Specialized, even though the 4.7 is not one of the USA made frames I'm sure it can't be a world apart from my bike.

I'd buy the Trek and upgrade the parts over time, starting with the wheelset!!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    you can get the planet x ultegra for £1300 - or you could last week ! if you really can't decide - phone both shops tell them the situation - and ask them to tempt you ....ie a wheel upgrade or £100 discount. ....when in doubt go for the cheapest !
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Can't fault the Trek frame for comfort. As C+ said in the bike of the year test.... "If the Trek was any more comfortable it would come with a TOG rating".
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    The Planet X is a lovely bike (I have test ridden a few friends ones) but if you can get a Madone with Ultegra for the same money I would go for that, no questions. I wouldn't be at all concerned about the made in Taiwan bit either. Previously had a Trek 5000 (TCT/Taiwan) and it was a very comfortable bike.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    The Trek's a really good bike to ride and would recommend it. Ultegra's is a great groupset and had no problems with it at all. As for upgrades- i did change the saddle and wheels. The saddles ok but not the most comfortable (or best looking), so got Selle Italia SLR gel flow team edition. Again the wheels are pretty good but after time they are the most notable upgrade of any bike so i went with the Dura Ace 7850 set. These wheels are quality but are now nearly £200 more than what i paid for them.
  • daveplanetx
    daveplanetx Posts: 91
    We have a big promo on stating weds - whilst stocks last , 59 bikes only , full dura ace

1399 pounds unbuilt - full dura ace 7800 group (cassette / chain / bb / chainset / f mech / r mech / brakes) ,

1499 built

Going live Weds , if you want one dont wait too long .

The treks a nice bike , though a couple cheeky cuts on the spec - 105 cassette , and an alloy steerer on the fork .
  • Anonymous
    :shock:
  • Anonymous
    As much as I like the trek frame, that's pretty damn fine!
  • t0ny
    t0ny Posts: 59
    You're just paying for Lance, Levi and Alberto to ride buy buying a Trek, the money has to come from somewhere. Planet X is a fantastic light frame!
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • spanielsson
    The treks a nice bike , though a couple cheeky cuts on the spec - 105 cassette , and an alloy steerer on the fork .

You can put Dura Ace on to any frame, it doesn't make it a better bike.

The spec is as it is, the cost is in the frame and forks, the rest of the components are specified to meet a build cost to maintain a certain margin.
    t0ny wrote:
    You're just paying for Lance, Levi and Alberto to ride buy buying a Trek, the money has to come from somewhere. Planet X is a fantastic light frame!

You are paying for monster R&D costs that produce fantastic bikes with superb finish quality. Astana will be paying the salary for those boys.

I think it's worth having a dealer network that you can walk in to and speak face to face without the potential inconvenience of mail order, things like test rides and after sales assistance are a big plus.

Don't let a "stack em' high, sell em' cheap" sale make you jump in to buying a bike!!! As far as I'm aware the Planet X and the Trek have different geometries, also Trek make more in between sizes (as do Specialized) to help get the right fit without changing the finishing kit.
  • t0ny
    t0ny Posts: 59
    edited May 2009
    You are paying for monster R&D costs that produce fantastic bikes with superb finish quality. Astana will be paying the salary for those boys.

I think you will find the top boys are getting more than a payslip from Astana. Be under no illusion that they ride Trek just because they think it is the best bike....
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    What has riders' salaries got to do with which frame is better?
  • spanielsson
    t0ny wrote:

I think you will find the top boys are getting more than a payslip from Astana. Be under no illusion that they ride Trek just because they think it is the best bike....

I've never said or even alluded to that.

You would not believe how many brands and different bikes I looked at and tried before I bought what I have now.

Over the last 13 years I've worked in both the cycle trade and within an engineering design department. My assumptions are made based upon experience, not because I've bought in to a particular brand.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Planet X for me unless you'd need the small frame.