What Difference will the amount of rise in a new stem make?

Indigo Gorilla
Indigo Gorilla Posts: 189
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Currently thinking of getting a new stem, seatpost and handlebars (RaceFace Ride Deal from Merlin Cycles).

Just wondering though I currently have a stem on my GT Avalanche with a rise of 25 where as these RaceFace bars have a rise of 6. Will this make much difference to the handling of the bike (I assume it does) and if so how?

Also, I have the GT Avalanche 2008 1.0 but I'm unsure of the actual stem length but I'd hazard a guess at around he 100mm mark I think.

So I'm thinking (to get more responsive handling) of going for the 90mm Stem and it's 6 degree rise. How would this change the handling of the bike?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Shorter stem will make the steering quicker. The change in rise will alter your riding position as well of course.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Yeah, stuck between a 90mm and a 100mm stem to be honest at the moment. Think I probably have a 100mm at the moment on my GT so wouldn't mind one a bit shorter.

In terms of rise what benefit is there to having a lower amount?

My bike currently has a 25degree rise where as the new ones I might get are only 6.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Although the rise will shift your weight and alter the handling somewhat the rise is really all about rider position and comfort. If your new stem (therefore handlebar) is significantly lower due to lower rise then this will lower your head position and flatten your back somewhat.

So to put it simply - the horizontal offset of the stem will affect the steering response (shorter being more responsive but potentially more jittery) and the vertical rise will affect your body position.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Daz555 wrote:
    So to put it simply - the horizontal offset of the stem will affect the steering response (shorter being more responsive but potentially more jittery) .

I have personaly found since putting going from a 90mm to a 50mm stem the front end doesn't get thrown about with as much force in the bumps (the upside of what some people call jittery), so I don't overcorrect as much and keep a tighter line, it's more about your own style.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: