It's Schumacher

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited May 2009 in Pro race
...Cycling news has him confirmed as the 2nd Cycling positive.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Surpise surpise :) But of course he's innocent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good, I'm glad it was no one 'extra' if you know what I mean...
  • i think they need to check what they put in that Gerolsteiner stuff?!!! (kohl, schumacher, rebellin)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Interesting, some french rider or other (I think he won the tour de france a few times or something and a few other races and stuff, nothing of consequence) said once something like "You cannot win the Tour de France on mineral water alone". How funny.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I'm starting to wonder just how innocent in all of this Hans-Michael Holczer is.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    They say he will now face a lifetime ban from the sport as this is two separate doping offences. Is that how it works - get busted twice and you're out for life? Seems fair enough - although it would be better to ban for life if caught once, not twice....
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Pokerface wrote:
    They say he will now face a lifetime ban from the sport as this is two separate doping offences. Is that how it works - get busted twice and you're out for life? Seems fair enough - although it would be better to ban for life if caught once, not twice....

He might try and claim it was the same doping session...

CERA has a reasonable half life.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He was a bit crap at the Olympics though - as you say - maybe it was the doping session from the tour rather than a new boost ? Is that how it works ?
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    I would think it would/should be 2 different events so 2 different offenses.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    maybe time for life bans now...? It's as useless as the death sentence in stopping crime but at least would make permannent vacancies in pro teams as the rider couldn't return using networks of old school contacts, former colleagues who respect them to gte a team...forces teams to look at young riders
  • Trev36 wrote:
    I would think it would/should be 2 different events so 2 different offenses.

His lawyer is saying it was probably the same dope left in his body from TDF, it stays in the blood for quite a while. Funny that he wasn't veyr good, obviously The Verve were right - the drugs don't work!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Dave_1 wrote:
    maybe time for life bans now...? It's as useless as the death sentence in stopping crime but at least would make permannent vacancies in pro teams as the rider couldn't return using networks of old school contacts, former colleagues who respect them to gte a team...forces teams to look at young riders

Because Ricco was so old...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    I deny it, however any traces you find are definitely from the same offence I didn't commit.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • His lawyer is saying it was probably the same dope left in his body from TDF
    I've not been following the Schumacher story in detail these past months, but weren't they arguing up until this last revelation that he hadn't taken anything? D'oh! :lol:

The guy is an embarrassment, no wonder German sponsors are leaving. Cycling is still popular at amateur level in Germany, but the pro scene is doomed as domestic sponsors retreat to sports more likely to produce a (hopefully clean) German winner, like in Biathlon.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    but the pro scene is doomed as domestic sponsors retreat to sports more likely to produce a (hopefully clean) German winner, like in Biathlon.
    Do you really think Biathletes are clean? To my (admittedly layman's) eye, they look to be pretty much on a par with cyclists.
  • cougie
    Did i read a hint of sarcasm into that clean biathlon claim ?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    teagar wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Because Ricco was so old...

true true...cheating is maybe all we can expect when one sees the chance of getting away with it..but surely some coaches can pass on some morality, be good role models, or have good rolemodels coach the youngsters into honest athletes rather than the current lot who will risk sponsor pull outs and the the loss of their mates jobs just so they can win some bike race...
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Lawyers don't usually elicit laughter from me, but Lehner is something else! :lol:
  • cougie wrote:
    Did i read a hint of sarcasm into that clean biathlon claim ?

I was hinting that the German sponsors, media and even many casual fans are really interested in backing an almost-certain German winner in a safe-bet event, rather than nurturing a particular sport through thick and thin.

I'm suspicious of the sudden mass improvement of the Austrian mens' team though, and I was proved right about the Russians this year (though Sleptsova wasn't caught, but instead raced the second half of the season a shadow of her former self).
  • cougie
    Biathlon have had loads of positive tests though havent they ? I cant see its all that much cleaner than cycling to be honest.
  • 5 in the last 2 years... that's about a monthly amount in cycling at the moment isn't it? :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    This part of the forum should be renamed Pro Doping as all you people like talking about is the doping incidents rather than the multitude of other topics reagarding pro racing. Really quite sad actually.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cougie
    I think under the title of Its Schumacher - its pretty much expected that yes - we will be talking about doping. Its the big story.

I'm sure the Tour of Gila may well be fascinating - but I know bugger all about that - at least this year til ITV4 buy the rights up for the next one.
  • frenchfighter
    You have misunderstood. To talk about doping in a doping thread is not my point. To have active threads on the Pro Race forum that talk about doping to the near exclusion of everything else and to spend a disproportionate ammount of time talking about doping compared to other acspects of pro racing is my point.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cougie
    I dont know of any pro cycling on Eurosport at the moment - so I've seen nothing to discuss really ?

When the Giro starts - I'm sure there will be more to talk about - but at the moment the two big stories are two dopers being exposed. I'm happy to see this - thats two more out of the woodwork.

Isnt that a good thing ?
  • frenchfighter
    I understand slightly what you are saying yet for me Pro Race doesn't just mean you have to comment on the races that are happening (and even then the threads hardly cover all the races going on), it can cover anything to do with pros and their racing. I don't see any other place on this forum where you can do that. As for examples, see the CVV thread, or a thread on Pro Tactics (like those employed in the final km of Amstel Gold for instance which I wasn't aware of unti l heard some discussion on it).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    I understand slightly what you are saying yet for me Pro Race doesn't just mean you have to comment on the races that are happening (and even then the threads hardly cover all the races going on), it can cover anything to do with pros and their racing. I don't see any other place on this forum where you can do that. As for examples, see the CVV thread, or a thread on Pro Tactics (like those employed in the final km of Amstel Gold for instance which I wasn't aware of unti l heard some discussion on it).

It would be nice to see a little less doping dissection and analysis on here, but I guess the pro's could see to that.
  • for me Pro Race doesn't just mean you have to comment on the races that are happening (and even then the threads hardly cover all the races going on), it can cover anything to do with pros and their racing.
    So, go ahead and start some topics on something other than doping...

(It might also be a good idea to stop passing comment on those threads that are about doping, if the topic bothers you so much).
  • frenchfighter
    Auerlio my dear fellow, may I draw your attention to this thread started by me on this Pro Race forum which has nothing to do with doping: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12620786

If you hadn't beelined to the doping topics maybe you would have seen it.

Nothing more needs to be added here, don't you think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Auerlio my dear fellow, may I draw your attention to this thread started by me on this Pro Race forum which has nothing to do with doping: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12620786

If you hadn't beelined to the doping topics maybe you would have seen it.

Nothing more needs to be added here, don't you think.

Yep, it's good that you've started that Christian Vande Velde thread. That now gives me the option to talk about Schumacher, and by extension drugs in cycling, or how Vande Velde's season is going.

Since afx237vi has basically posted what I would've said as has other posters here on the bald one, well I don't have much else to contribute. Except this:

As a poster in this forum, I am to some extent (e.g. defamatory posts aside) allowed freedom of speech, as is everyone else who posts here.

Therefore if people want to talk about doping then so be it. I personally find if I don't like the content of a forum I will 'shop elsewhere' and use another forum.