Alternative to bikely.com?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Bikely seems to be playing up recently... One tries to plot a course manually, but the site's software draws purple lines randomly to the left or right (often a few miles away) or where one actually clicks!

Are there any other sites that can be recommended, which at least give mileage and elevation details?

I'm taking part in a sponsered bike ride this weekend and want to reccy out the route from Bitterne to Calshot...
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bikeroutetoaster is excellent. Allows you to export routes to GPS complete with turn details etc.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    You can also try out http://www.mapmyride.com/

You'll have to switch on elevation at the beginning, and it's all free.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, its behaving exactly the same as bikely, as in I click home (Bitterne) and click the beach huts at Calshot... but then bikeroutetoaster then gives me details of a route between Bexley and Aldershot!

Wonder if this bug is down to the site; IE8; flash?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I'm using IE7 and it works fine, so it sounds like there's a compatibility issue. You could always try Firefox as a browser?
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Have a look at bikehike it shows OS and Bikely style maps at the same time or will show elevation data as you plot the route. Very quick too
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Johncp wrote:
    Have a look at bikehike it shows OS and Bikely style maps at the same time or will show elevation data as you plot the route. Very quick too

On BH you also get the option to turn on/off the auto-follow road feature which is great when your riding down what google maps (which most are based on) thinks is a one-way street :-)

I've used it to plot out a few routes and they have all come out fairly well for distance but the elevation data can be a bit sketchy sometimes!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Hi,

jashburnham

How do you get that elevation info into your signature.

Mark
  • Allez Mark
    sarajoy wrote:

Thanks sarajoy.

That may be a bit technical for me but I'll give it a go.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    not sure how acurate they are infact i'm fairly sure they are not but makes some fun looking wiggles any how, this is a few of the hills nr my folks place, if one was feeling like some punshiment....
    3468401254_b3c2463e18.jpg
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

Thanks sarajoy.

That may be a bit technical for me but I'll give it a go.

I can't do it :cry:

Edit: |Got it now :D
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Hi Everyone,

I can extend my www.tomtracks.com application to add all sorts of facilities.... if anyone is interested :)
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    Bikehike.co.uk does it for me

I'm always curious though and after reading this thread will have to give the other recommendations a try :?