Why does it take so long?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Can someone who works in a lab (doing testing, doesn't have to be anti-doping) tell me why it takes 8 months to figure out who's been doping at a race? While the TDF/Giro don't take that long, they have taken up to 3 months to find someone positive before. What is it that makes these tests take months?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    donrhummy wrote:
    Can someone who works in a lab (doing testing, doesn't have to be anti-doping) tell me why it takes 8 months to figure out who's been doping at a race? While the TDF/Giro don't take that long, they have taken up to 3 months to find someone positive before. What is it that makes these tests take months?

Thousands of tests were done and the results appear to all be released at same time.

It's volume related.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • don't you know l'Equipe manage all the labs and they have to make sure there's no French cyclists caught first?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    You can't thank Mr Landis for one.
    Everybody's now making sure that every t is crossed and i dotted.
    Labs can't win.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    iainf72 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

Thousands of tests were done and the results appear to all be released at same time.

It's volume related.

Another one here: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD97S75AO0

Seems like one of the positives had already 'fessed up. I thought there were only 948 samples retested and Ramsi's looks like it was tested nearly 2 months ago.
  • Oh my God! Not a race walker!