Terrible commute today

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
I've managed to pick up a bleeding asthma-enhanced chest infection, and after barely being able to turn the pedals on the way home Monday, and staying in bed all of yesterday, I decided it was probably best to brave the drive to work (in Essex).

The first 10mi too 55 mins, the remaining 25mi took around 35mins. Madness. Arrived at work feeling knackered rather than energised.

It is so easy to forget just how fortunate we are to be commuting by bike. It is sad what so many people subject themselves to every day.

Comments

• Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    Roastiecp wrote:
    I've managed to pick up a bleeding asthma-enhanced chest infection, and after barely being able to turn the pedals on the way home Monday.

Have you or anyone you know been to Mexico recently ??? :wink:

Seriously though, hope you are well soon...

Have had to drive into work the past 2 days myself, although nowhere near as bad as your experience only a few miles of urban travel, I am looking forward to getting back on the bike tomorrow now !!! :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Feel your pain. I have asthma, and chest infections leave me drained. Hope you get better soon.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Plague! Plague!

He's got the swine flu :shock: :shock: :shock:

[Probably not]
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Roastie
    Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to a) work at home tomorrow to save the aggravation and b) harass my GP for some Singulair.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to a) work at home tomorrow to save the aggravation and b) harass my GP for some Singulair.

You need Tamiflu, not allergy stuff... :shock:

Quarantine! Nobody read his posts!

The end of the world is nigh!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I got knocked off my bike yesterday, got to ride to hospital in an ambulance. No permanent damage but still felt a bit rough today with the after effects of the concussion so I took the bus. Took about double the time to get in so I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Roastie
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Thanks guys.

You need Tamiflu, not allergy stuff... :shock:

Quarantine! Nobody read his posts!

The end of the world is nigh!
    Is Singulair an anti-histamine? I always thought it was an asthma therapeutic. Just as well I'm not a doctor. :o

I'll leave the meds selection to the doc then, but will ask about Tamiflu - thanks!
    Edit: Nice. :shock: Thanks LiT :P

@pst88: Sorry to hear - that is nasty. I hope you're on your bike soon!
  • lost_in_thought
    :lol::lol:

I kid, I kid...

PST88, sorry to hear that, look after yourself!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:
    [Daily Mail]Plague! Plague!

[/Daily Mail]
    fixed
  • pst88 wrote:
    I got knocked off my bike yesterday, got to ride to hospital in an ambulance. No permanent damage but still felt a bit rough today with the after effects of the concussion so I took the bus. Took about double the time to get in so I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike.

Glad you are ok.

I presume you were walking wounded and locked your bike before they carted you off or did they toss the bike on the stretcher and hare of blaring sirens all the way.

I've always wondered in some morbid fashion what would happen in an accident (one that I hope never happens)

What am I saying here : I guess I am interested in the situation that required an ambulance but maybe not it seems.
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    pst88 wrote:

do you get charged as a cyclist for your ambulance ride under the road traffic act...or is it just the drivers of mechanically propelled vehicles who have to cough up
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Gord! Makes my day look like a stroll in the park.

I was motoring down The Vale in Acton when my Look cleat shattered...foot spun off the pedal, I lost my balance, then I lost control of the bike :oops: Somehow I managed not to fall off, and by an equally good stroke of luck the large van behind me managed to avoid hitting me as I swerved over the road :shock:

It happended only a couple of mile from home but it took so long to nurse the bike back to the flat I was running late so opted to work from home :)

Still, I was nice and rested as a result so managed what I think is a PB for an evening 10 at Hillingdon 8)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Gah ! At least most of you got to go outside !

Worked from home; had a plan to go for a ride once I got work done; realised at 8pm that I hadn't eaten since breakfast and was too hungry to go for a ride !

Tomorrow I will do better.....I may go into the office for no reason other than the ride there and back. So I assume it's going to rain :-(
    Misguided Idealist
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

I was motoring down The Vale in Acton when my Look cleat shattered...foot spun off the pedal, I lost my balance, then I lost control of the bike :oops: Somehow I managed not to fall off, and by an equally good stroke of luck the large van behind me managed to avoid hitting me as I swerved over the road :shock:

:shock: That's a bit lucky.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:
    Plague! Plague!

[Probably not]

Don't worry there has already been a cure developed and released. It is applied topically.

It's oinkment.

I'll get my white coat
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Roastiecp wrote:
    The first 10mi too 55 mins, the remaining 25mi took around 35mins. Madness. Arrived at work feeling knackered rather than energised.

i know how this feels

my drive in on monday with clothes for the week took 1hour 3mins & tuesdays ride in took 56mins :x
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Greg66 wrote:
    [Daily Mail]Plague! Plague!

But house prices are Up! Or Down! Or Static! Deffo one of those!

[/Daily Mail]
    fixed

Fixed proper

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Plague! Plague!

[Probably not]

Don't worry there has already been a cure developed and released. It is applied topically.

It's oinkment.

I'll get my white coat

FFS. How long have you been saving that one up?

Jokes like that deserve an enema. And not that bloke who was in 8 Mile.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I presume you were walking wounded and locked your bike before they carted you off or did they toss the bike on the stretcher and hare of blaring sirens all the way.
    Yeah I was walking wounded, sat in the back of the ambulance and they managed to fit the bike in too (not actually on the stretcher!). The ambulance driver then brought the bike right into the cubicle in A&E, which I thought might be considered unhygienic but they didn't seem too bothered.
    What am I saying here : I guess I am interested in the situation that required an ambulance but maybe not it seems.
    I got knocked/fell off and landed on my head. Got straight up but a bit dazed as you can expect. A panicked spectator called an ambulance because I'd had a head injury which I suppose was for the best. They took me in and did a bunch of tests to see if I'd done any serious damage then treated me for cuts etc and gave me a tetanus shot.
    doog442 wrote:
    do you get charged as a cyclist for your ambulance ride under the road traffic act...or is it just the drivers of mechanically propelled vehicles who have to cough up
    What do you mean? I wasn't aware drivers had to pay to go in an ambulance?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Blimey, it's contagious - we're all being struck down, injured or suffering Infantile Joke Telling Syndrome. Nurse!!!

Not to be outdone - I managed to drop my bike on Tuesday night whilst still in the underground car park at work - there's a very slippery concrete ramp that goes round like a helter-skelter, and it's like ice in the rain. I will be walking up there in future. :oops: The bed is covered in blood, my left hand signalling is now as limp as Kenneth Williams on prozac, and my hand looks like a bouncer's.

Hope everyone makes a speedy recovery. :)
  • lost_in_thought
    Oh no! It really is contagious!

Sorry to hear that Christophe, hope it improves quickly.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I think dear old Ken might have perked up a bit on prozac, especially if he had cut down on his valium a bit.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Oh no! It really is contagious!

Sorry to hear that Christophe, hope it improves quickly.

Thanks. I'm following HMG guidelines now to be on the safe side. Washing my hands every ten minutes (which hurts) and making sure I avoid contact with anyone who's Mexican , a pig, or waving sausages around. Oh, and I won't be eating Dorritos.

Think I've covered all the angles.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    doog442 wrote:

AFAIK the law changed in 2007ish so that ALL personal injuries, not just RTA based ones could have an NHS charge applied.

Under the old laws if there was an RTA, and a motor vehicle was involved, and compensation was paid, then the person/insurer paying compensation would also pick up the tab for the NHS charges which were usually deducted from the compensation.

This has now been changed so any injury where compensation is paid i.e. "slipped on a banana skin at work" can have charges deducted from the compensation payment.

So going back to the OP, if they were knocked off the bike, and someone pays something in compensation (e.g. £75 cash towards a new wheel), they will also have to ask the local NHS for a certificate of charges and probably pick up the ambulance and outpatient tab.

Hope the scrapes heal quickly and painlessly!

Rufus.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Gord! Makes my day look like a stroll in the park.

It happended only a couple of mile from home but it took so long to nurse the bike back to the flat I was running late so opted to work from home :)

Still, I was nice and rested as a result so managed what I think is a PB for an evening 10 at Hillingdon 8)

I've had similar experiences, the SPD cleats on my commuting shoes are getting very worn now and occasionally as I'm accelerating away from lights, pulling and pushing on the pedals, my foot comes unclipped and throws me off balance. So far no terrible accidents and I've managed to hold it together, but it's a bit of a shock. Really need to get some new cleats...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.