Slicks - what a difference!

BoardinBob
BoardinBob Posts: 697
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Finally got round to fitting slicks on the SS MTB after 7 months of commuting.

I can't believe the difference they've made. I picked a pair of Schwalbe City Jets at the weekend for £15 and this morning was my first ride.

The speed difference is shocking and climbing is so much easier too.

If you're riding knobbly tires, stop now and put slicks on

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Then add thinner tyres / wheels {700 x 23 are good), opt for a more traditional frame geometry, Shimano groupset and a 53/39 front ring + 11-25 rear cassette, and you'll be flying.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I think I'm going to change my CX 32c tyres for the Conti 32c ones I have as I swear I get this sticking type noise when I'm riding on the streets. The tyres are great but they must be causing me more unneeded effort.

It's weird how everything on my commute is based around the one stretch of bridleway I have.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I think I'm going to change my CX 32c tyres for the Conti 32c ones I have as I swear I get this sticking type noise when I'm riding on the streets. The tyres are great but they must be causing me more unneeded effort.

It's weird how everything on my commute is based around the one stretch of bridleway I have.

on the MTB i've got some very old mud tires so thin high tires with few but massive nobs, on tarmack or anything thats not mud, they are loud and very very slow, still no one steps out on you, as it sounds like a landie...
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697

on the MTB i've got some very old mud tires so thin high tires with few but massive nobs, on tarmack or anything thats not mud, they are loud and very very slow, still no one steps out on you, as it sounds like a landie...

Yes the silence was noticeable too.

1.5 tires and I noticed the difference everywhere. Acceleration, straight line speed, cornering, climbing. All improved.

There was even a pretty brutal headwind that would have brought me to a standstill before but it hardly affected me today.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    totally agree with you about the slicks. got mine setup and running for the past coupld of week now and it reduce almost a 1/3 of my total commute time.

i got mine pump up to 60 bpi too. the only down side is that now i feel every single bump on the road...

p.s. im using Land Cruiser 26x2.0 semi slicks
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

I went for 28c's - might go 25's soon - on my cx. I have to navigate about 2k of cinder/gravel bridleway which, for about 2-300yds gets a bit loose/deep/rocky enough to require me to slow down (we are talking 1/2 house brick size rocks). The 28's manage okay. I can get through okay on 23's when its dry.
    I managed to get to the absolute top of Glentress on 28c slicks the other week (again, pretty dry, but not the smoothest). Overtake full-susers for fun on the way up. "Jesus Christ I need more grip" on the way down (steep, loose, 20% pitches though).
    Hope that gives you some guidance on what's possible, anyway.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I switched to slicks on the work bike a few months ago, from 2.1 knobblies to 1.25 Gatorskins, and I saw about 2-3mph difference easily.

I also swapped the heavy sus forks for lighter rigid ones, but that's another thread :)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    totally agree with you about the slicks. got mine setup and running for the past coupld of week now and it reduce almost a 1/3 of my total commute time.

Same with me! The difference is amazing.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I went for 28c's - might go 25's soon - on my cx. I have to navigate about 2k of cinder/gravel bridleway which, for about 2-300yds gets a bit loose/deep/rocky enough to require me to slow down (we are talking 1/2 house brick size rocks). The 28's manage okay. I can get through okay on 23's when its dry.
    I managed to get to the absolute top of Glentress on 28c slicks the other week (again, pretty dry, but not the smoothest). Overtake full-susers for fun on the way up. "Jesus Christ I need more grip" on the way down (steep, loose, 20% pitches though).

Cheers for that. I've noticed that the tyres allow up 100 psi on them and I've been running at 90, so I might up the pressure first THEN try the 32c conti idea. I have 28c available as well but I found the ride slightly harsh on the potholed roads around here with them.

Oddly, I am at least as 'quick' on the CX as I was on my old Carrera. Well it's worth a go I guess just to see what happens
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - I pumped the tyres to 100psi, but also adjusted the saddle height about 2cm higher AND cleaned and lubed the bike....

Errrrr......

Did someone get me a new pair of legs? I took the bike for a spin 'round the block and I flew! :shock:

I was going to have a rest day tomorrow, but I want to see what this is like on a full commute, so wish me luck :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Re that sticking feeling, I'm not familiar with cross-specific tyres, but would the tread on them be like riding with mtb knobblies?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    cjcp wrote:

Re that sticking feeling, I'm not familiar with cross-specific tyres, but would the tread on them be like riding with mtb knobblies?
    Yes, but mine are just fat road tyres.
  • Kieran_Burns
    They are like fat road tyres with a smooth centre section and ridged / treaded outer. It might just be mine but they do make that tyres on a hot road sound when I ride on tarmac.

It's somethig I've said before, but they DO look much bigger than 32c. I'll have to take a photo so you can see
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X